Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for kid friendly round coffee table + living room ideas
aykugler
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into a new home and have a lot to do. We are looking for a coffee table that is stylish but functional to withstand some abuse as my son likes to sit on the one currently in the picture (this is part of our pool furniture being used for now during the winter until we find something). The current rug is just a place holder as we are waiting for the arrival of a slightly bigger and more neutral colored wool rug. You will also see that there is much to do in this room so all comments welcome.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann
For kids, I like the old wooden trunks, flat top, could put glass on the top also
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:13AM
michigammemom
An upholstered ottoman in a durable fabric might be the most kid friendly coffee table option...no sharp corners and multi-purpose seating. My only other suggestion would be a larger, closed console to place beneath your TV. Love your wainscoting by the way.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:18AM
aykugler
Thank you! I agree we would like to get something larger for under the TV. Would you suggest white wood or a darker wood or something more industrial looking? Thanks for your help.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:27AM
michigammemom
I would suggest a more transitional piece to bridge your traditional moldings and wainscoting with your more contemporary leather sectional. I like the grayed down finish of this piece from Layla Grace.

1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:38AM
pitbulls
I like your current rug. I was thinking an upholstered ottoman. Something with legs to add interest
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:48AM
PRO
donna obrien designs
My suggestion, would be to put something there that does not take up visual space i.e. glass, but that will not work in this case. Why not try a square ottomon with legs, sized to allow for proper access to the sectional. I would use a fun fabric and choose a neutral from the fabric for the walls. Sunbrella has some great outdoor fabric which are durable and can be easily used indoors. Add some coordinating pillows and 2 end tables with lamps. For the TV you could consider
either add an entertainment unit which would hold the TV, components, and could also add a lot of storage, or add a TV console below the wall mounted TV. I would also address the wall behind the sofa. Sorry...I carried away:)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:02AM
PRO
Barbara B Ruffalo IDDP
I agree with michigammemom about the ottoman as an option for your coffee table preferably in leather or some sort of easy clean material . The TV console should be bigger and maybe with cabinets for storage. I would also paint the walls possibly two shades to show off that wonderful wainscoting. Pick a color such as Sherwin Williams sea salt on the walls in a satin finish and SW oyster bay in a semi - gloss on the wainscoting . It will be just a slight difference in the color and very neutral. I would also float the sofa a little more into the room (about18") away from the wall. Center it between the wall and the doors with your new area rug centered under it. Wall art ,such as paintings or family photos will work. If your doing family photos , please consider having them all re-done in Black and white. You can do this at your local CVS pharmacy or Michaels craft store . Don't forget your accents such as pillows , pottery and books ... Just to name a few . Have fun !
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:20AM
aykugler
Thank you all so much - great advice. It sounds like an coffee table in perhaps a sunbrella fabric or leather may be best. Would you be so kind to provide advice on square vs round? When we purchased the sofa they suggested round so that idea was stuck in my head. Also would a leather ottoman against a leather sofa be too matchy - my husband would love leather due to the kid factor hence the leather sofa. Love the idea about painting the walls thank you Barbara and love the suggestions on the TV counsole from Michigammemom. I have a large black and white canvas photo already on one of the walls that wasn't in the picture - I was thinking about keeping it consistent with a few other large ones or would you suggest breaking it up a bit with some framed black and whites? Now I just need to figure out what colors to add in the pillows etc! Thank you all again so much - very helpful.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree with above, leather ottoman, larger console for TV with storage..Nothing the color of the floor. This room is void of pattern and color, so a "more neutral" rug does not sound good. I would buy a more bold rug with pattern and great colors..Use colors from the rug for pillows on the sofa and also to choose paint color for above wainscoting. Needs an end table with lamp near door. Also, I would add a pair of chairs angled into the room on the sides of the TV console. If you do not have pattern in rug, then these 2 chairs need to be brightly colored patterned. Large art on the walls.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
Barbara B Ruffalo IDDP
You said you are waiting for a larger neutral colored rug to come. I agree with Barbara Griffith, I really think the rug should be colorful and the chairs should be a print picking up the color or colors in the rug Maybe swivel chairs with a small table between them . This way the TV can be viewed from them and your grouping will be complete .The pillows should be prints and solids ,again, picking up the colors in the rug and chairs . As for the shape of the ottoman, square or round will work. Don't forget the end tables (not too large ) square or rectangular in shape.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:01AM
pitbulls
I'm not a designer but you have a lot of leather just with the sectional.I would opt for a fabric ottoman with a colorful print. Find one that will incorparate colors from your rug. Use some of the colors from the ottoman and get some throw pillows for the sectional.My 2 cents. Have fun.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 8:04AM
aykugler
Thanks everyone - the rug is a neutral back ground but does have some color in it like blues/greys. As for the rug should the placement be just under the front legs? or should it cover to the back of the legs as well. I am thinking that I may have purchased too large of a rug and it might extend into the walkway of the french doors if I place 2 inches off the opposit wall - thank you for recommendations.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:08AM
PRO
donna obrien designs
I agree with pitbulls regarding the leather. I think it will look too heavy. If the carpet is neutral in pattern, why not do the chairs and ottoman in a pattern and add color that way. I like the idea of the chairs and pulling the sofa out from the wall, as long as it does not interfere with traffic flow. I would stick to a square ottoman. The carpet can be at least 12" under the furniture, or all legs on...Great ideas everyone!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:31AM
PRO
Barbara B Ruffalo IDDP
If the rug is big , center it in the space of your whole grouping . The colors I gave you are bluish gray. They should work !
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Looks like a pretty fabulous house! I would centre the new area rug in the middle of the room and place your sectional on it as well (part of all of it could sit on the rug, depending on its size). I find it looks strange pushed up agains the corner like that - especially with the counter from the kitchen so close. Artwork on the wall between the window and French doors. I don't mind a neutral rug with your furniture. Maybe you could relocate the console under the TV to another wall or behind one side of the sectional too. Re accents, depends what look you are going for. Good luck from Montreal!
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 2:17PM
decoenthusiaste
DEAD THREAD - February 6, 2013
0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 2:22PM
PRO
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Use the hammered metal one in this photo. it opens for toy storage as well. Available at World Market

0 Likes   May 1, 2014 at 2:31PM