powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room!! please...
yackiefg87
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am a dedicated houzzer and I would love for you to put in your opinion for my living room. My favorite colors are red, ivory,brown, beige, terracota, gray and dark orange . I want my living to have a sense of style and bring out my creative personality. I love modern, wrought iron, flowers, things that I can add personality to. I would love to have a little older, more sophisticated... I know it's a tall order, can you help me out? Oh and, if any of you have the specific title for my style that would be great! I think I'm in too deep to know my style :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Fantastic room but the furniture is too big. I would like to see an apt. size sectional on the wall where the TV is now. One of the back of which would face the door. Put a console table there to create a foyer. A large glass round coffee table will keep the room airy.
February 6, 2013 at 8:37am     
nononanna
Tthe sofa in front of the wall is fine, but the second one is too much. Especially since it goes too far into the door area. You could put a desk or a long table/console in front of the window with a coupld of accent chairs with accent pillows and it would liven the area up. Also some lamps on either side of the sofa. Do you need bookcases? Maybe that could go in front of the window or to the viewer's right of the sofa and a console to the left of the door as mentioned above by Interiors Int'l.

Actually you might be able to switch the place of the second sofa= instead of in front of the window try it facing the window.
February 6, 2013 at 8:52am     
nononanna
Meant to add - the light is really nice, and the paint color is good.
February 6, 2013 at 8:53am     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Is there a budget for new furniture? If not, then here's what I would do:
1. Add a light colored rug.
2. Paint the two doors that are visible and the window frame.
3. I would lose the sofa that is in front of the window and replace it with a chair no bigger than 32 x 32".
4. Move the coffee table closer to the other sofa so that it can be used.
5. Add large art over the sofa.
February 6, 2013 at 8:54am     
yackiefg87
@interior international, inc. Wall size (where the TV) 11ft 4" w X 8 ft h...
@nononanna...Photo is looking in from entry door...the wall what is front is a hall
February 6, 2013 at 9:30am   
decoenthusiaste
Scale is an important issue. The style goals you describe for yourself are not going to be met with the current furniture, which is more of a family TV and casual hang out style. Your chandy and ceiling speak of more classic leanings, and so are in conflict with the furniture too. If this is your home, and not an apartment, start to invest in properly scaled pieces that will make your room special.CA-KD has a good plan that will allow you to start with a nice chair - accent, swivel or arm.
Sam Accent Chair
Rebecca Leather Swivel Chair
Burnham Floral Armchair - Gray
February 6, 2013 at 9:32am     
yackiefg87
Thank you all for your opinions, I'll take all the good note...I'd like to recommend styles of curtains, pillows and accesories also..
February 6, 2013 at 9:57am   
groveraxle
Interesting questions, yackiefg87. Say, are you related to furry who's redoing her teen bedroom? She also wants a name for her style and is in too deep to know it. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/336462/Suggestions-for-teen-bedroom-

Or maybe you two girls are just pulling our legs?
February 6, 2013 at 10:12am   
panamakaloy
It appears that the small door is cheap plywood skin. Replace with a paneled door similar to the entry. Whether you change the furniture or not move the couch or the new couch away from the window if possible and slide the other couch further down the wall. Replace the mini blinds with natural fiber roll ups or if possible the type that can be pulled up or down. they allow privacy but let in light in up at the top of the window. You might try a bold burnt orange color but my feeling would be beige for the walls. Get the TV on the wall and a much narrower unit for your audio video gear. If possible you can also build an audio video cabinet into the wall ( I do not know what is on the other side ) That piece is also huge like the furniture. Lighter shade of whatever color you choose for the walls on the ceiling. The white is , sorry, terrible, especially with the dark furniture and floors. A few pieces of artwork and maybe a plant or two would also help. I like the light colored rug idea. Sisal or an imitation would be nice and can tie in to your new blinds. Those couches are comfy and as this is your tv room I can see how you would want to keep them. What I would go for is a neutral, soft scheme with all your color choices. That should give the room a warm, cozy ,comfortable feel. Good Luck.
February 6, 2013 at 10:13am     
PRO
Because there is not much space between the window and the front door, I would not want to put a drapery panel on that side of the window. You could have working draperies that pull to the right. Or you could use a double width stationary panel that just stacks to the right on a 1" iron rod that goes all the way across the window. You would use the blinds for privacy.

Alternately, you could unstall roman shades, one for each half of the window. They could be mounted inside the window as in the first photo below or just below ceiling height as in the second photo. Schwartz and Architecture Munger Interiors
February 6, 2013 at 10:17am     
yackiefg87
@groveraxle...Sorry, I'm learning English, and I really like this website, I just want reviews for my new house, and I support a publication to make me understand a little, but I'm so sorry ... I did not with evil purpose :(
February 6, 2013 at 10:20am     
PRO
In order to select pillows for you, let's start with a rug first. The rug below will take you in the modern direction that you mentioned you wanted. Then you can add pillows that go with the rug you have selected. You can see many rugs at rugstudio.com
Safavieh Courtyard Terra Natural/Brown Area Rug Finland Herringbone Tweed Chevron Brown Rug
February 6, 2013 at 10:39am     
PRO
TVCoverUps
I agree that there is too much furniture in this space. One way of eliminating the cabinet the TV is on is to use TVCoverUps. Artwork or panel would add to the decor of the room until it swings upward to reveal the hidden TV. The unit can be built with cabinets inside to store AV equipment, karaoke or other consoles, which would rid of your cabinet under the TV. It comes in automatic or manual and allows for TV tilting hardware. The image attached shows a client that had a similar situation, where the unit was built with cabinets inside. Each unit is custom to the viewer and room, so it is always best to give us a call.
February 6, 2013 at 11:35am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Roman shades would be a really great option it will give you that pop of color you need in the space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
February 6, 2013 at 4:09pm     
PRO
I'm not sure that I'd spend the money on roman shades in a color as I might want to change my accent color before I want to pay for new roman shades. I'd stick to a neutral for the shades.
February 6, 2013 at 6:41pm   
PRO
Yackief, your English is just fine. We are very pleased that you have asked for our help.
February 6, 2013 at 7:59pm     
maggie2599
I have actually lived In a room just like this. I had similar sofa and loveseat. The room is small so I didn't use a coffee table. Add a rug some lighter colored pillows. Maybe some tall narrow shelves on each side of the tv. And paint the hall wall with a horizontal stripe using a matte and a gig gloss in the same color.
February 12, 2013 at 7:45am