Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entertainemnet wall!
ocbritlass
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
HELP!!! I just bought a house close to the beach and decorating it as such. There is a long wall in the living area which will be home to the flat screen TV. However, I want to 'close' off the telly so its not the focal point of the room but cant find and 'entertainment' design that will work. I really don't want to take up the whole wall :-( The attached showed what WAS there when I bought the house. This is too bulky, dark, and doesn't provide doors or the like to hide the TV for my style. I dont mond having shelves for books and ornaments etc
OCbritlass
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maggie2599
Have you thought about an armoire for the tv? Maybe something lighter wood. With some shelves on the side.
February 6, 2013 at 8:56AM   
kitchenkaos
I would paint the rattan chars white to brighten up the look. I used spray paint on my wicker chair and love the look.
February 6, 2013 at 8:56AM   
decoenthusiaste
Here's a TV on a credenza witha nice weather-worn finish that reminds me of driftwood. You might try something similar for your wall and TV.

February 6, 2013 at 9:01AM     
ocbritlass
Yes - an amoire would work but I am having the hardest time finding something - I have browsed 'houzz' for ideas and cant seem to find anything. Do you have any thoughts??
Thank you!
February 6, 2013 at 9:03AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Open shelves on either side with sliding doors that will open in the middle. Ikea will have what you need.
February 6, 2013 at 9:03AM     
ocbritlass
Ok - Thank you!
February 6, 2013 at 9:07AM   
groveraxle
You might also look into a lift cabinet where the TV is raised and lowered by remote control.

February 6, 2013 at 9:25AM   
ocbritlass
This is great - where would I find the mechanisms for this please?
February 6, 2013 at 9:57AM   
wyndyacre
I am finding that furniture companies are not making tv armoires anymore...they don't work with the huge flat screen tv's of today. I bought one off Craigslist for my older tv. I refuse to have an exposed tv in my living room either...I don't want a tv to be the focal point of the room. I really like the credenza's with the mechanism in them for lifting/lowering the tv. I think the furniture comes with it installed.
February 6, 2013 at 10:06AM   
ocbritlass
Ok - thanks - Ill look around - if anyone knows of any cabinet with a 'hideaway' TV that has teh 'beach' look - please let me know
February 6, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Momentum Interior Decorating and Redesign
You could have a couple of artistic panels built from either glass, or pictures printed on canvas. You can have the TV mounted on the wall, set back in a bit. Have the two pictures slide together when not watching TV and open when you want to watch.
February 6, 2013 at 3:25PM     
PRO
TVCoverUps
It sounds like a solution to your problem would be TVCoverUps. Artwork or panel adds to the decor of your room until it swings upward to reveal your hidden TV. It comes in automatic or manual lifts and allows for TV tilting hardware as well. Each unit is custom to the viewer and the room, so it is best to always give us a call.
February 6, 2013 at 4:54PM     
groveraxle
ocbritlass, you can get the lift mechanisms or whole cabinets here: http://www.tvliftcabinet.com/lift-mechanism

I'm sure there are other places if you google "television lift cabinet."
February 6, 2013 at 5:21PM   
anthip
We have an antique armoire for our TV. I found these bits on Houzz. Can you get something custom made maybe? The Crate and Barrel rattan type one would suit the beach theme nicely. If you find a cabinet with shelves in you can always take them out and have cable holes etc put in to accommodate your electronics - that's what w did with ours.

Or you could use something like the wooden artwork/cover up below.

[houzz=Mason Media Armoire, Rustic Mahogany Finish]

[houzz=Blake Grey Wash 2-Door Cabinet | Crate&Barrel]

[houzz=Julia Armoire]

[houzz=Three-piece media dresser]

[houzz=Riddling Rack Media Solution]
February 6, 2013 at 10:00PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.