Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help in living room
dooghie
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to furnish my living room. I love the chairs and the size. However not sure about the scale of the loveseat and round coffee table. Does this size work for this room space. What designs / ideas would you encorporate for this room. What paint color? This room you can see from the foyer which is unpaired right now. ( need paint ideas for there as well!). I want my house to look nicely put together instead of just furniture in a room. Thanks all for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Any chance you can get another loveseat just like it?

You could do a setting of two loveseats, maybe even put it on a diagonal with a rug, that's one, and the chairs can stay where they are, you only need a rug, lamps, end tables, wall art and you are golden!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:05AM
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
You have a good, neutral base started here - into which you can plug a pretty wide variety of colors. What'd I advise, though, is not bringing in any more major pieces that are dark. You want to create contrast with lighter items. A big rug would be a good start to anchor your main seating area. It appears you have some yellow in your chair fabric. If so, that's an option for a wall color. You could also pair an aqua, lemongrass green, or even a violet with the yellow. If you want a more restrained vibe, look at a light gray such as Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray or Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. Then work in color through pillows, art, etc. If you do a neutral sitting area, you could grab one of the textile colors and use that in your foyer. As to scale of furnishings, I'll let the design pros comment on that. But... it seems to me that the trouble isn't your tables being too big (they aren't very large) but maybe the loveseat is too small for that wall? Or that it's bunched too close together. Maybe a lower, wider coffee table would be a better mate. See various examples attached. I'll be curious to see what the other Houzzers have to say.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:17AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
AggieDesigns has made great suggestions.

One of the main elements you need to make the room more cohesive is a large rug.Think of it as an island that your furniture will float upon. Most of the furniture pieces you've selected are neutral, I would suggest buttery gold colors for the wall to make the room more inviting. Here are some color suggestions, keep in mind that the colors may look different on your computer screen.
Monroe Bisque HC-26 Paint
Honeymoon AF-345 Paint
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:26AM
Ella at Wishack.com
Use a wider, low-lying coffee table. Maybe a reclaimed wood top with metal base which will pair very well with your current loveseat. Your current table set is a bit small for the room, but maybe you can use the side tables to create a reading nook in one of the corners with another wingback chair.

Think of brands like Enitial Lab for coffee tables (very unique designs and well-priced) and Avenue Six or Skyline for seating. Skyline actually makes custom pieces so you get everything built for you which is awesome!
I've attached a link to the Baily Table just so you can see how to use it in an open living space: http://www.wishack.com/product_p/eni-ynj-909ct.htm
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:47AM
tennisanyone
You need a couch and a love seat to fill the space.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:53AM
Jennifer McLucas
Love your furniture and this is such a great room!

To start, I think I'd pull all the furniture toward the center of the room so that your walkway ends up between the window and the chairs rather than through the middle of the room. Then add a rug under the furniture, using the rug to anchor the furniture arrangement rather than the walls.

Next I'd tackle the walls. I'd do a chair rail and leave the bottom part of the room white. Above the chair rail I'd paint grey, like they did here: Modern living. The color they used was Englewood Cliffs 1607 Paint.

If you love the look of the idea photo I think you could pretty easily duplicate it. Start by moving the couch against one doorway and the chairs against the other, still keeping the furniture toward the center of the room in one sitting area. Purchase an electric fireplace (like the one below from Home Depot) and put it on the wall where the couch is now. Then add a nice display shelving unit to either side of the fireplace. Follow up with some yellow and green accents and you're done. Grey and Green Living
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:55AM
dooghie
Thanks everyone for your comments. I tried to move the chairs towards the sofa but that arrangement doesn't work for the room. Both doorways are rather large and the furniture placement looks awkward. Definitely want to get a rug, lamps and some art work.
The loveseat and coffee table I feel are on the small side. I am considering getting a sofa in cream called Chloe from macys. And removing this love seat. The room size is 13 x 15.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 5:44PM
judianna20
Have you tried the love seat and the two end tables in front of the window? Instead of a coffee table, get an upholstered bench, two nice lamps.

Now, where the sofa is, put the two chairs and the coffee table with floor lamps. Wallpaper that solid wall.

Purchase matching area rugs. Paint the room a grey.

You have two distinct spaces because of the pass thru. Just make each its own.
beach bungalow 8 houzz tour
Glass Table Lamp Chandra Amy Butler Area Rug
Pink City Maze Pillow
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 5:58PM