Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is this a YES or a NO?
nlmackay
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought this zebra rug to layer. I'm trying to make this room a bit more glamorous/designer. I'm going to be adding some new decorative colored pillows and art, but in the meantime what do you think of the zebra rug? YES or NO? If I keep it, I'll buy a sisal or jute rug to go underneath. Any other suggestions on how to vamp up the room are absolutely welcome!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
crazycatlady
Maybe a round coffee table instead? Not sure about the chair in between the windows. Can it go in the other corner?
February 6, 2013 at 10:14am     
Aggie Purvinska
It's a no for me, maybe on it's own in the foyer? A large high quality wool rug with some color may bring more sophistication to the room, maybe an upholstered ottoman..and you definitely need lamps and an overhead fixture perhaps. The space is lovely.

[houzz=Bradley Ottoman In Zora Hide]

[houzz=Luke Irwin Ikat 14]

[houzz=Silver Mercury Lamps with Reed Shade]
February 6, 2013 at 10:26am     
nlmackay
Thanks so much, AggieDesigns. I'll relocate to the foyer and see if it works better. This living room is wide open to my dining area. How would you suggest coordinating the two rugs (I need a new one in there as well!)
February 6, 2013 at 10:29am   
panamakaloy
Not sure about the zebra rug, but love the room and your furnishings. I feel the victorian safari thing. One thing is sure the white rug needs to be replaced by the sisal. If you decide to keep the zebra go with a round coffee table as suggested.
February 6, 2013 at 10:32am   
Aggie Purvinska
Oh, cool, you are very welcome! Pick two that echo each other in palette, they don't have to be the same, but they shouldn't be too similar. Pick one you really like and then look for the other..

Something like this:

[houzz=Luke Irwin Ikat 14]

[houzz=Russet Printed Dhurrie by John Robshaw]
February 6, 2013 at 10:36am   
Jayme H.
I like the rug, but not there...Nice home!
February 6, 2013 at 10:49am   
nlmackay
I tried the zebra in my foyer, but I dont think my entryway is "grand" enough for it :(
February 6, 2013 at 1:38pm     
Aggie Purvinska
I still like it better in the foyer than in the living room. Can you position it so that the little dresser leg is not on it? So the zebra is free floating?
February 7, 2013 at 7:26am     
Nancy Hehmann
I agree with AggieDesigns! If you do decide to do the zebra rug in the other room you would need to remove the other area rug and get a larger zebra rug.
February 7, 2013 at 7:35am   
PRO
Inspired Home Decor
It is too large for the foyer and too small for the living room, sorry!
February 7, 2013 at 7:44am   
PRO
Banarsi Designs
The Zebra rug doesn't really work under the coffee table, feels out of place. The coffee table could use some decor as well, seems a bit too simple right now, as the rug underneath is very neutral.

Best,

Pavel http://www.banarsidesigns.com
February 7, 2013 at 7:45am   
michigammemom
nlmackay, the layered rugs are fine, but the cabinet style coffee table is not optimal. Take a look at this inspiration photo with layered zebra rug and a glass or lucite table that allows the dramatic rug to shine through.
February 7, 2013 at 7:50am     
Aggie Purvinska
Come to think of it, you could trim the rug with (carefully and artistically to follow the same pattern) scissors (if it's a hide) so it fits better proportionally in the Foyer.
February 7, 2013 at 7:51am   
0825sam
Here are some pics of what I think you are trying to achieve. Maybe a lighter coffee table would do the trick.

February 7, 2013 at 7:52am   
nlmackay
Sure, I'll try positioning it free floating and re post a pic. If I were to keep the rug for the foyer, should I exchange it for a black zebra print since my chest is black? Right now the zebra is dark brown. Do you think it works in the foyer?
February 7, 2013 at 7:56am   
Jayme H.
I think the table is too solid and large for the rug to show through. I think it could work with a different table... sorry if anyone else already mentioned that. An oval glass top maybe?...not as solid legs.
February 7, 2013 at 8:38am   
decoenthusiaste
If you like the zebra, animal theme rugs I've recently seen some wonderful ones online at homedecorators.com. Usually found by searching under categories like Color (black or brown) or Contemporary.
February 7, 2013 at 8:54am   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Michigammemom is right on with that picture, it's the coffee table that is the problem on the layered rugs. You do need a glass one to show the rug.

The beauty of hides is their irregular shape, which allows many ways of placing it, play with the angle until you get it right. It's possible it may work in the entry if you centre it to the space, allowing the table to stand on it. Without a clear look at the space, I can only suggest you try it.

A zebra hide can really be fun and add that element you are looking for, hope you find a way to use it that works.
February 7, 2013 at 8:54am   
nlmackay
Hi everyone - since I last posted in this thread, the coffee table in my living room was damaged. I purchased the protection plan and just received notice that they are going to give me $450 to replace the table at Bassett Furniture http://www.bassettfurniture.com/index.asp. Any suggestions as to what style I should get? This may be my opportunity to make sure my furniture isn't so matchy-matchy and add some interest to the room. I returned the zebra cowhide, but am now wondering if I should buy it back. Although looking back at your suggestions and the pics I may buy it back in black/ivory and keep it in my foyer!
May 23, 2013 at 3:18pm   
margaretk
Don't buy it back - it just doesn't fit the size of your room. It is too small and - sorry for this - but it looks like someone flattened a poor zebra with a steam roller. What about using a rug with some color to liven up the room - with some pillows to match.
February 28, 2014 at 6:58pm   
dclostboy
Old thread, but I like the rug...should have helped the poster morph style / room, as she obviously liked the rug. All it would have taken was a brass and glass coffee table with hemp or jute flat weave rug.
February 28, 2014 at 7:05pm