Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wood cabinet color?
zennifer
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Doors will be shaker style and go to the ceiling. Appliances are black and staying.

Two questions: which wood color? The light is natural cherry, the dark is a chestnut stain.

The floor is staying. It's oak with a medium stain.

Also, overlay or inset? I'd love to do inset, but am I overlooking a potential problem?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
zennifer
One more pic of the door in iverlay style in the darker wood color.
February 6, 2013 at 10:16am   
zennifer
OK: here's two different pictures from HOUZZ that I think show what it MIGHT look like together
Kitchen and Dining room
And
Rustic Eclecticism Kitchen Remodel: Chester Springs, PA
Both floors are too light in the pictures, however.
February 6, 2013 at 11:54am     
onthefence
Being typically onthefence.... I prefer the color of the dark but think the lighter might work better in your kitchen. I think the dark when you combine upper and lower cabs and a wood floor may be too dark.
February 6, 2013 at 11:58am     
zennifer
Onthefence, that's exactly why I'm on the fence! I tend to agree. My DH is in love with the darker (and it is gorgeous), but I'm worried about a black hole in there, despite good light all day.
February 6, 2013 at 12:02pm     
onthefence
OK, I just went back and looked at your photos from your earlier thread. For me, I think the light would work better.

An alternative thought though - have you considered dark cabs for the base and light/white painted for the uppers? Or some combo of dark and light/white painted? Maybe the peninsula light and the rest dark? I've seen photos here and it really seems to lighten up a kitchen.
February 6, 2013 at 12:09pm   
zennifer
Hmmm...won't do painted (I just don't like the look), but a combo of the natural and dark stain might look really nice. I'm going to look through and find some things to show my DH. The pics in the old thread are VERY dark, taken at night with a bad camera, btw.

Defnitely want something "classic" looking. My desire is to do this once, and never have it look too outdated, be easily updated with new paint color or hardware, etc.
February 6, 2013 at 12:17pm   
onthefence
Gotcha on the painted. Some friends did their kitchen quite a few years ago. It was at a time that cherry was really a premium upcharge. Most of their kitchen was a light wood (maybe maple?) with a couple dark cherry pieces interspersed. It was gorgeous!

Found this photo....I know this isn't your style or size kitchen (mine either!) but it shows the wood combo. I rather like it!

February 6, 2013 at 12:21pm     
alex511
I'd go light. I went darker in my kitchen, and I regret it. Lighter will be brighter!
February 6, 2013 at 12:24pm     
charleee
Go light! The dark looks muddy against the floor, at least in the picture.
February 6, 2013 at 12:24pm     
zennifer
Thanks for that picture! That is a striking combination. The floor is ALMOST dark enough, too, to give a good idea of how it will look with our floor.
February 6, 2013 at 12:25pm   
zennifer
This is a picture I keep coming back to as well; I think we might do a subway tile backsplash, or something else light...

The house is from the 80's and has a lot of the 80's craftsman revival influence, so while I'm not going to do a "period" kitchen, it wouldn't look out of place with the bannisters, etc.
February 6, 2013 at 12:32pm     
onthefence
I'm so glad the photo helped. It looks like the island in the pic is darker than your chestnut stain but it does help to give an idea.

When I look at your pic #2 of both cabinet options sitting on your floor I think the three really work well together.
February 6, 2013 at 12:34pm     
onthefence
Saw this on another thread and thought of your kitchen. Another good photo example:

February 6, 2013 at 11:34pm     
zennifer
The three do look good together. Unfortunately, dh strongly disagrees. :) since he cooks as much as I do, we're going to stay single color. He's coming around on the lighter being better, however.

We are leaning towards the natural cherry with a dark counter and a tile backsplash, either white subway tile or something like this pic (see next post):
February 7, 2013 at 8:59pm   
zennifer
February 7, 2013 at 9:00pm     
onthefence
Just noticed your update. Massive congrats on your decision! You really couldn't have gone wrong either way ;-) The natural cherry is going to be great - particularly with that backsplash!
February 9, 2013 at 11:03pm     
Grace Reed
What exactly does dh stand for? I obviously don't have one!!
February 10, 2013 at 6:55pm   
onthefence
Grace - it's dear husband. Although some days, the D stands for something else ;-)
February 10, 2013 at 6:58pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Grace...as a guy..I prefer to think it means "darling husband". There are other words that begin with the letter...I've been called those too!
February 10, 2013 at 6:58pm     
Grace Reed
Thanks for clearing up the DH thing for me!
February 12, 2013 at 5:51am     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.