Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room/piano move update
aahines
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I didn't have enough room to angle piano out into room as Carolyn Albert suggested. I would have had to give up the club chairs and plus I really like seeing the curvature of the piano facing most of our furniture. We added the red feather lamp beside the French style chair and put our matching lamps on each side of the sofa which gives us more light in the room at night. We added an old antique bench with a gold tassel throw under the piano for extra seat if needed. I would like to add large photos of our 3 boys wearing red and black vests with black top hats to the empty wall where piano is. What do you think??
I do hope I get a response from DARZY and CAROLYN ALBERT

Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
IMO, unless you have other pictures to anchor that one, it's going to float. What about putting it where you have the red/yellow/orange one right behind the piano now? And I'm not sure what that big flower arrangement is on top of the piano, but it doesn't fit to me. What was the thinking of placing the sofa at the end of the room? I'm assuming that was the advice you received?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 12:02PM
aahines
Yes, three professional designers said that sofa looks better facing piano not sitting in front of the window as so many people are tempted to do. The room is long but not very deep so the sofa in front of the window or on the wall makes room look like a hallway. The designers had suggested large photos or artwork on the wall across from picture window to balance out the large window
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
decoenthusiaste
Sorry I dropped out of the commentary on your space - short hospital stay! I lost you until this post came up. As I suggested early last week, placing the sofa perpendicular to the window rather than in it is a big improvement. It is a bit long with the two tables and almost blocks the entry to the dining. Would you consider a floor lamp on the wall end that takes less of a footprint? I think you have enough going on around the piano. Perhaps you could switch the boys' picture with the one behind it and put that one to the right of the dining entry.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 1:53PM
tennisanyone
Are you sure that is what they said to do? I'm surprised. The couch doesn't belong in that spot. It cuts off the flow of the rooms. It should go under the window and move the piano to the far end of the room near the dining room facing into the room. If i'm looking at the pictures from here I would put the piano with the keys facing the dining room on an angle. Keep the two chair on that wall and get the other chair out of the room.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:19PM
aahines
It is not actually just one picture of the boys but three large pictures. Are you saying it would be too much to do three pics on the long wall club chairs and piano are on?
How do you feel now about overall room? We plan to later update with hardwood floors and a large rug
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I agree. The table with the lamp where you come into the room needs to be removed. I might suggest pushing the sofa further into the room and putting a sofa table behind it with a lamp behind it. When you look at your pictures, you "see" so many lamps. I know it is because there isn't any other lighting in that room and you probably need it at night, correct?
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 2:20PM
aahines
That's the way we had the room originally before asking the advice of the designers..... Hahaha :)
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:25PM
aahines
Yes
We need light really really badly!
A sofa table could be nice if I don't have to push sofa too far into room
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:27PM
tennisanyone
Honestly, there is a lot going on in this room, all different lamps, five different tables, different shades, fake flowers on piano, candlesticks, pictures. There seems to be nothing cohesive about this room. Sorry if I sound harsh. If that is a grand, then I would open the top. I would let that be the star and not all the stuff around it. I think you can do better with the arrangement. It costs you nothing to rearrange. Yes, hardwood floors, a new rug and new window treatments would really help this beautiful room sing.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:31PM
decoenthusiaste
Well, isn't that just typical! All that work and then someone who didn't see the first post says to put it all back like it was originally. That is why you should never post new but keep adding to the original., It gets long and cumbersome but at least everyone has the option of seeing the big picture from the start and seeing all the input along the way. I agree, your sofa is taking up too large a footprint with both tables. A sofa table would work. Can you align the front edge of the sofa with the window frame and have room for a table behind it.? Lovely as they are, grand pianos can really impede doing exactly what you want with a room unless you live in a mansion. Visually, I prefer seeing the keys of the piano. I know you like the curve of the box, but that is the rub - it is just a box and reminds me a bit of another kind of box that none of us wants to see in the living room. I think it is more friendly to have the pianist sitting in the space rather than blocked off from it behind the piano. Sorry, Darzy! I play, and know I'd do better on performance if I weren't watching the listeners. I think the player relates better to the room without the barrier of the piano between him and the audience. Just me, I guess.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 2:36PM
aahines
No offense but we are going for a vintage look in this room not a "matchy" "matchy" look like all modern houses look now where every lamp is the same, same color shades, white sofa, white chairs, white walls..... You get the hint and then your neighbors house looks identical outside and in as well!! Thanks for your comments though
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 2:39PM
tennisanyone
deco, I guess you were referring to me. I wish I could find the original post and see the couch in front of the window. Maybe I would change my mind, but I don't think so.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:43PM
decoenthusiaste
Just click on aahines by any of the posts and it will take you to her page where you can scroll down and find it - about a week ago. It won't have the same set of pics, as she has posted new a couple of times, which I do advise against. I miss following up with people sometimes if they repost on a different thread and I don't recognize the original pic they posted. Takes a while to learn the ropes here at Houzz. How long have you been posting/commenting?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:56PM
aahines
Here is the original
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 2:59PM
tennisanyone
Thank you deco and aahines. After reviewing all the pictures, I really stand by my decision on the couch in front of the window. I like the original arrangement. Better flow in the room. That is the exact way I would have done it minus a chair or two. I would never ever block a dining room doorway with a couch that is on a strange angle when you have so much more space in the middle of the room that is not being used. If you like it, then that is why it is your house. I can only see it through my eyes and what I would do.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:20PM
surfor
I have to agree with Tennisanyone. There is much better flow in the room which is spacious and beautiful, and is also much, much more inviting with the couch in front of the window. I might consider pulling 2 of the chairs closer to one another and putting them directly across from the couch so that there is more of a conversation area. I would keep the chair in the corner that is across from the piano. Until you have the final furniture arrangement worked out, it is probably better not to hang any pictures.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 3:41PM
aahines
Thanks for being honest but out of curiosity why do you think doorway is blocked? I have asked numerous designers and furniture experts and they all say furniture should sit 2 to 3 feet from an open doorway. Our sofa sits almost 5 feet from doorway
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:50PM
aahines
Here is another photo from behind sofa showing amt of space
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 3:55PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I don't necessarily have a problem with the way you've moved the furniture. The only issue I have is the back of the sofa...personally I think a table behind it would soften the back.

In speaking of spacing, I'm not sure who told you that 24" is enough in doorways, but they are incorrect. That will barely allow an able bodied person to get through. If you ever have anyone in your home with a cane, wheelchair or walker, they will not be able to maneuver through a 24" opening. Furniture needs to be at a minimum 36" from any doorway. If you have it at 5"...AWESOME!!!

And none of the lamps in my house match. None of the tables match. You have to realize, when you post your pictures on this site, new people are going to come in with their opinions. Take it as such, their opinion.

Good job! If you want to hang the picture of your children, do so, but group it with other pictures so they're not "lonely" on the wall. I would then remove the flowers from the piano as well.

If you want to move the furniture in the future...I think the one comment about moving the chairs closer for conversation is a great idea. Also, if you have an ottoman from another room you could possibly swap out for the coffee table? just a thought...not having all the "legs" in the room and maybe an upholstered piece.

And FYI,,,I am a professional interior designer. I have a BFA in interior design, have passed the NCIDQ exam...
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:05PM
aahines
Thank you curb appeal for the advice and kind words. If I place a small sofa table I will submit new pics later. If I sent a pic of just the floorplan on our blueprint with the dimensions would you mind giving your opinion of what to do with the room or can you lay it out for me just by looking at these pics what approach you would take with the whole room keeping in mind our love of vintage/antiques and lots if color especially RED???
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:20PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I love red!!! And really...there is nothing wrong with the way you have it!!! You've done a marvelous job!! Truly! Just mix it up every once in a while. The suggestion to open up the piano is great. You could do that. When it is colder, close it, throw a silk scarf over it and one of your gorgeous candelabras. Maybe trade out one of your arm chairs for an upholstered piece. Live it up. You've got a great room, great pieces. Change it around so your friends are delighted and wonder each time they come over how you're going to have it!!!

Yes...post your floor plan. There are no "rules" anymore, for your own home .Of course, if you're getting ready to sell, that's a different story! But you've never mentioned that. So, live it up, do what you want and play up that RED!!! I have a red dining room and a red wall in my "great" room. And the main color in my bedroom is red...

Just one other thought...if someone has had a bit too much wine and they're coming out of your dining room, you don't want them to trip over your "lions" on the floor holding back your folding doors.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:28PM
tennisanyone
OH BOY, I think I opened up a can of worms. Aahines, what I say is never a criticism. It is only because I want you to live better in your space with your things. I am not a matchy matchy person but it has to feel right and have an overall cohesive look. Somethings are better left alone and I think you had it right the first time now that I see the doorway again and I agree with surfor that the chairs could be brought in closer to the couch if you decide to move it back. I don't think it has anything to do with being new or not new to this site. It is about having an eye for it and there are certain design principles that are right and I agree with Curb Appeal we just give opinions but it is your house.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:34PM
aahines
No, no, it's okay tennisanyone!!
I just had to realize that all designers, decorators, etc are not the same. Two professional designers turned loose in your home will come up with totally different arrangements and colors!! That's part of what makes us who we are!! Thank you for being honest about how you feel
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
aahines
Curb appeal and others:
Here is the picture of my living room floor plan with dimensions
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:55PM
surfor
Hi,
I still stand behind moving the couch back in front of the window. You have a beautifully proportioned room, and I think that moving the couch in front of the opening to the dining room, even with 5 feet behind the couch for ingress/egress, works against the proportions of the space. Looking at the floor plan makes me envious!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:34AM
tennisanyone
I stand behind my decision too. Why
Anyone decorator would tell you to block the dining room
doorway is beyond me. Even with 5 feet of space

Use the lines of the room and not
Try to fight it which you r doing If it feels right to you that is all
That matters in the end. Surfor and i dont have
To live in your space.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:50AM
aahines
Curb appeal
Just wondering if you have looked at my floorplan yet?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:45PM
surfor
Yes, aahines, I did look at the blueprint, if that is what you mean by the floorplan. I think the living room is very well proportioned by architectural standards (the golden ratio of 6.125 in room floor dimension is in evidence in your living room), and the placement of the windows and doorways seems well thought-out by the designer. I think both tennisanyone and I are in agreement that you should use the lines of the room in the placement of the furniture, rather than fighting what appears in both the blueprints and the pictures to be a natural flow.

For me, thinking of perhaps a dinner party, the natural flow of people would be to leave the dining room and move into the living room to enjoy more conversation and perhaps a piano recital. It isn't natural for people to have to walk around a couch, or a table and couch, to move easily from one space to the next.

Additionally, the couch in the doorway blocks a sight-line from one room to the next. But as she pointed out, we don't live in your home.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 3:16PM