Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to display a collection of decorated eggs
ospec
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My beautiful mother's legacy to me is her gorgeous decorated Ukrainian easter eggs, called "pysanky". I have probably 100 eggs of various sizes (chicken, goose and ostrich). They are spread out all over the place and I would like a creative idea for a showcase that could display them. I need suggestions on the actual display unit and how to display the eggs inside it. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
michigammemom
What a lovely keepsake! I would suggest displaying your pysanky in a glass topped coffee table so that the fragile eggs are protected and your guests can enjoy the wonderful colors.
February 6, 2013 at 1:06pm     
orangecamera
I think they would look beautiful displayed on platters like this...made to serve deviled eggs. I think they would look best on a collection of all-white platters, to really show off the colors.

Of course, the ostrich ones wouldn't fit, but the smaller ones certainly would. You could then put them in a table as michegammemom suggested, and/or on shelves.
February 6, 2013 at 1:12pm     
orangecamera
Another idea....egg cups. These are actually made to be used as egg cups or saki cups.
February 6, 2013 at 1:15pm     
mpoulsom
orangecamera...like the deviled egg tray idea, but I think i would spray paint it black instead of leaving it white. Those eggs would look great against black as well!
michi, the table idea is good as well! it would be a museum table! you can look but not touch!!! :)
February 6, 2013 at 1:16pm     
groveraxle
I love the way these bottles are displayed in their own lighted cases. Something like this would be wonderful.

February 6, 2013 at 1:19pm     
mpoulsom
this may not be grand enough for those beautiful eggs, but ikea actually makes a glass cabinet display case, long low one and a taller one. only $139, but I have no idea what your decor style is. You could add lighting inside the cabinet.
You could put the regular sized eggs in the painted plates and then the larger ones could be arranged with the plates, but them sitting separately on short candlestick holders!
February 6, 2013 at 1:25pm     
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Check into 'golf ball displays', they might work?
February 6, 2013 at 1:36pm     
Michelle Mink
Maybe you could utilize clear acrylic / lucite boxes.

Here are some pics of smaller wall-mounted boxes and also a large lucite box coffee table. If the eggs were mine, I would fill the boxes with the eggs rather than just putting in one or two on a holder or stand. I love the picture you provided with so many all together.

I would probably lean more toward the wall boxes than the coffee table box because the wall boxes wouldn't tend to get jostled around as much. (You can probably find these inexpensively on E-bay or other organizational-type websites. They may be advertised as doll or stuffed animal display boxes.) I would enjoy the visual impact that many, many eggs would have when grouped together as opposed to a couple here, a few over there, etc. You might also consider two end table sized boxes filled with eggs. These would be out of the traffic flow more and might not get jostled as much.

I also like the look of something antique-y combined with lucite boxes which are very modern. A creative arrangement on the wall would be interesting. I can see this idea fitting into a home where many ethnic items from one's travels are on display.

Not sure how this look would fit into your home, but its another idea to put in the mix.

[houzz=Nursery]

[houzz=Punk Modern]

[houzz=Wright Street Design Group Inc.]

[houzz=Transitional Sitting Area and Wet Bar]
February 6, 2013 at 1:56pm     
Jayme H.
Do you like apothocary jars?
February 6, 2013 at 2:19pm     
orangecamera
ospec, just curious...how did your mother display them? They really are beautiful!
February 6, 2013 at 4:17pm   
kobley
If you have a Tapp Plastics in your area they can make customs display cases any size you want. Perhaps you could do a wall or hallway that is lit.
February 6, 2013 at 5:48pm