Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with large family room
caravel
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Large family room 29' x 18'. One wall has almost floor to ceiling windows with plantation blinds and great wood trim. Gets morning and afternoon light. Because of size its hard to place furniture and can't decide on what color to paint. We plan to put in hard wood floors this spring. The living, dining room and kitchen overlook this wonder size room but have no idea what to do with it! Help!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What a wonderful excuse for new furniture, to include a sectional and two club or swivel armchairs, large coffee table, plus a game table and chairs would work well here too. Start by finding the perfect large area rug to put over your new hardwoods. Then use those colors to theme the paint, accents, and the room will come together for you.
February 6, 2013 at 3:22PM     
janishill
What colors have you used in the other rooms?
February 6, 2013 at 3:30PM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Shutters would look really good on those windows since you have so much space its a really great option.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
February 6, 2013 at 3:37PM   
Jayme H.
I agree with a sectional...maybe a new console table...large area rug. What is to the left of the chaise on the wall...is that a pic, or an opening?
February 6, 2013 at 3:43PM     
caravel
Thank you so much! I like your recommendations.
February 7, 2013 at 5:57AM   
caravel
To the left is a mirror because that is what I had at the time to put on the wall. It doesn't add anything to room, its just fulling a space. Do plan to find some nice colorful artwork once we get the floors, area rug etc. done.
February 7, 2013 at 6:01AM     
Jayme H.
This is a very nice room...show us what you decide to do!!!
February 7, 2013 at 6:07AM   
Salima Feerasta
What a great space - though way underused. What's you view like? Also is moving the position of the tv an option? Or at least changing that recessed portion which somehow diminishes the room
February 7, 2013 at 6:17AM   
Salima Feerasta
What a great space, though underused. What's you view like?
February 7, 2013 at 6:18AM   
caravel
We have a beautiful back yard spring, summer and fall with weeping willows, vegetable and flower gardens etc. Bird feeders and bird bath and so on. Had thought of making this like a garden room but not sure what that is but like the concept. The door on the right side of the picture goes out to the back yard.
February 7, 2013 at 6:34AM   
vickiric
Since you're lucky enough to have so large a room I think I would buy two couches alike or find one close to the one you already have and place back to back with a sofa table between. Place one facing the TV wall at a comfortable viewing distance. Then add chairs to make conversation areas on each side. Side away from TV viewing would be a great place to add a large coffee table to play games, do puzzles or home work on. That way you get the most out of the space and still have the beautiful warm family look you have going on.
February 7, 2013 at 6:37AM   
caravel
Actually there was a large opening originally made for the big tv's and we had someone custom make the cabinet so we can store cd's, dvd's, stereo components etc. in it so moving it isn't an option.
February 7, 2013 at 6:37AM   
Salima Feerasta
Sounds like you have a lovely view. I agree with separating the area into two,with a console behind the sofa. I'd also have a sofa facing the window but I'd go with one that isn't identical to the first. Also think about a much bigger coffee table that you can make a feature of. You mentioned it's a family room - do kids use it and how old are they? How they use it should help you plan the other section
February 7, 2013 at 9:39PM   
varonjy
put a larger commode behind the sofa (same size or even a bit taller would be perfect). the side tables look very heavy. instead of painting the room, i would use deco in different shades of this green, maybe even "stronger" green.
maybe black-white photos could make it a bit more modern than the sepia-ones you have hanged now next to the tv....
(of course this all is just my opinion, and if you don't like, just ignore ;))
ps: love the room, the windows and the lamps!! :D
February 8, 2013 at 2:41AM   
charleee
madison321, no one cares, would you please stop already?
February 8, 2013 at 3:29AM     
February 8, 2013 at 3:56AM   
gullsend
Madison 321 looks like spam, spelling and word usage errors,are usually a tip-off, "four" etc.
February 8, 2013 at 4:05AM     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Caravel can you post pictures of the opposite side of the room?
February 8, 2013 at 4:13AM   
caravel
Attached are pictures of the other three walls. The one showing the wall with windows didn't come out well as it is a cloudy rainy day here. The room is mostly used by adults, but occasionally we do have grand kids ages 2 and 4 at our home. When that happens I bring out toys etc. for them to play with. We have a mixture of furniture, antiques from my family and traditional furniture is my husband's. We got married 5 years ago and are trying to figure out how to combine the two furniture styles. The house has five levels and there are lots of tall 20' high walls (so fun to paint!) and lots of white wood -hard wood floors in living and dining that over look this family room. We actually have another finished room below this and storage. Colors used in rest of house - brown, grey, blue, aqua, and the green in this room. I painted it too light and really wanted more of bolder lime.
February 8, 2013 at 7:36AM