Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help, hubby wants a more rustic vibe for this downstairs area
Dawn Taillon
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just got this home real cheap as an investment. We are enjoying it as a weekend home for now. We don't have a lot of money, so we have to do a lot by ourselves and spend smart.

We have focused on the upstairs which is totally coming together little by little. Need to take a more recent picture of that but anyways, the downstairs pictured here, is just strange to me. We have not done a thing to it yet. What ever you see will not be any part of the room except the tables that I got in a thrift store and need to fix some scratches with Old English scratch cover.

Hubby really wants a kind of light cabin like feel. Like ship lap ceilings perhaps in a natural finish or painted. I would LOVE to do something with the brick, but he loves it as is. Ok I can live with it, if I can figure out how to make this nutty paneling work. He loves it and oddly we get a lot of compliments on it, but it is just too much.

I still want it to somehow transition well with our upstairs. Any ideas without me ending up in a huge fight with hubby.

Tip the home is in a forested area of California, it is on a hill and has lots of Oaks and mountains to see around, so making it sort of nature-ish is not all that bad but come on. This is a challenge that I would love to work out, and start on with tax return money possibly.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carole
love the fireplace as is, would put a chunkier shelf with it,not keen on the panelling!!the bleu carpet works well with the stone and the tables are great too,but i would definitly not keep the panelling as it is,paint it or take it out and drywall it....
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:36PM
Dawn Taillon
Oh thanks it is going to be an issue. The rug is a remnant we just put there not to track in snow and mudd, for now.
I love the fireplace but think the brick should be limed or acid washed or whitewashed to be lighter. I love the wood stove it has soap stone all around it which helps retain heat longer.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:11PM
decoenthusiaste
Cheapest fix is paint but for paneling you have to do a lot of prep - TSP, rinse, sand, tack off, prime with 2 coats and paint with 2 coats.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 6:38PM
Dawn Taillon
That is the problem, he likes that paneling. I was thinking about wainscoting with ship lap or partial drywall and leaving it in a few spots for him. I am not able to see how to decorate with this paneling there.

Maybe I could put large reclaimed wood base boards, crown molding and wall corners, to hide it. I agree the prep in painting is a pain, but it would be cuter than this stuff. The bedroom down there is worse it has the photographed picture of wood grain, old school fake wood paneling, like in the 70's.
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 6:57PM
Jayme H.
How did you end up getting all your stuff inside....I remember this house because OF THE PANELING! LOL.....it stays with a person!
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:01PM
Dawn Taillon
LOL Like a wart.
We have not had to move much inside yet, but what we have moved in usually goes up one of the side stairs on the outside to the main level. My husband has a plan and bought a wench, He won't tell me what he is going to do with our new tv wall unit that is about to be delivered this week. I'll let you know how that goes.

My sister said her husband would love that paneling because he hunts. I just can't see it looking like anything but cheap.
5 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:07PM
Dawn Taillon
Why could they not have used real Saltillo tiles if they were going for that orange/red tile? I would love to have the porcelain guy come spray it a different color. It limits my color pallet and does not go with the brick to me.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:11PM
mcbriec
I think the paneling is dreadful. Perhaps you could limewash it which isn't really like "painting" and DH might be able to tolerate that. (Then the next step would be removal.) LOL!
2 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:28PM
fuzinav
I think that repainting the trim and the unpainted door the same color as the background of the panelling would calm it down some and allow you to focus on the furnishings. I recommend either replace the linoleum with a complementary color ( the darker brown?, tan?) or run wall to wall to totally hide the current floor
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:28PM
Dawn Taillon
It is real ceramic tile. I would almost rather carpet it. I know it is just a mess. I think it needs new doors. I copied the pictures and printed them so as you suggest stuff maybe I can try it out. Need to go on my old paint program to see how things look painted.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:34PM
Dawn Taillon
I don't know if you can lime wash that because I don't think it is real wood. Is it?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:35PM
renwright
I'd replace that old panelling with updated real wood panelling, but I do think that your idea of wainscoting's a great compromise for the two of you.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
renwright
P.S. Don't put the old panelling 'on the bonfire'; you might be able to sell it on eBay or Craigslist, and make some money for your decorating budget!
3 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:50PM
fuzinav
Whoops, sorry. Our paneled basement ( which is now insulated and drywalled) has a vinyl floor the same color as yours....we had it carpeted.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:58PM
curacaoblue
I think this place looks quite nice with the sole exception of the paneling on the walls. The floor tiles appear to be in great shape and look like they are of nice quality. The trim looks good and the fire place also looks like it belongs in this house. If you put a lot of wood furniture and keep the floors and wood trim I think you could pull off a cream paint over the paneling and it would still look cabin-esque. these are some rooms that have cream paneling and rustic decor

[houzz=Marsh Residence 1]

[houzz=Marsh Residence 2]
8 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:02PM
Dawn Taillon
I think it's great. This is something I could live with. What I had in mind for rustic.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 9:40PM
hollybar
Would hubs agree to keeping that supercalifragilisticexpialidocious paneling only on the wall going upstairs? I admit I would be loathe to get rid of all of it. It is so singular & it just makes me giggle. .Hope you post again with whatever you two decide.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:08AM
sjkingston
That paneling is like nothing we've seen before! The place it might be kind of neat is fronting the stair risers if the stairs treads were a medium brown. You could see the pattern but not be overwhelmed with it and it would be unique. (After a while you could paint it out and no one would notice!) The other place is the lower angled wall below the staircase, especially if you put a wood chest in front of it for storage which would cause 90% of it to disappear but leave an intriguing pattern around the edges. If you do that, leave it on the door, but paint the door's trim to match the background color. And then paint all the rest of the room's panelling out in a lovely color similar to the background (be careful of the undertones as the wrong ones will make the paneling look dirty). Since the panels are very wide, a ships lath paneling would look great on the ceiling painted soft ivory. Just be sure to the ivory has an undertone that works with the paneling color (like an umber tint rather than a blue, green or pink) and repaint the stair railing to match.

Curacaoblue's selections are awesome and suggest how good the paneling would look painted a similar hue. Using that as a guide, I'd get a similar color rustic beam for the fireplace mantle as suggested by Carole and trim the doors and baseboards out in a similar wide trim painted the wall color. You could try watering down the wall color with water and some white paint and testing it as a white wash to lighten the brick in a tone that would soften it and work with the wall color. (Maybe get some old similar colored bricks to try out as a sample to see if you like it before using on the actual fireplace in case it's not what you want.) If you're going for the look in the pictures, then whitewashing might be better than painting out which would give the brick a more contemporary look. For upholstered furniture, old leather or soft fabrics like in the sample pic would be great with the tables you picked up already. Slipcovers in ivory cotton or painter's drop cloths would also be terrific. This is the kind of casual rustic that some of the classic Ikea furniture and their slipcovers look really good in.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:20AM
scole69
A coat of paint, perhaps a feature wall and some new furniture, 3 great things to do if your renovating on a budget. :)
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 12:31AM
carole
it will be a comprimise for both of you and it will look amazing!!keep the panelling on the stairs and dont do anything to the fireplace untill you have resolved what to do about the panelling,it is all trying to fight for attention at the moment,the floor color will not be as promenent as it is now,once you have furniture and rugs and calmer walls,it will be a cozy livingroom
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 2:12AM
Jayme H.
You could accidently maim the paneling in some way...making it necessary to remove it and/or paint it!
5 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:48AM
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
You had mentioned ship lap, this is a great feature for your walls that gives great depth. I did a project in center city philadelphia and received great feedback from the client as well as the designer on this. It was custom made from 1x8 material so the cost is relatively low. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=264754733597862&set=pb.247969775276358.-2207520000.1360245844&type=3&theater
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:04AM
carole
ohh,jamie,dont go upsetting the applecart...surely they will find a way to make it work for both of them,although i must admit i have been temped at times to revert to tactics too....
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:51AM
Judy M
I think the paneling is so distracting that anything you do to this room will be overpowered by it.

I thought the ideas of a compromise with keeping the paneling just up the staircase, is a good one.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:01AM
rowekamp
Wow, Dawn I feel for you. Maybe DH needs to read this thread. Without resorting to some of the more creative tactics mentioned I'd absolutely put my foot down on this one. That panelling is atrocious and so ugly it follows you wherever you go! Oww my eyes!

We built our house in the Smokies in TN and cladded the interior walls and ceilings with local pine in wide horizontal planks. It was relatively inexpensive because a farmer nearby has his own mill. The planks were lapped of course making it pretty easy to put together. If you like working with wood like we do, and have a good table saw and circular saw it's a fun project.

I'll try to attach a pic or two of what the pine looks like up close (untreated) - You can see some of it in my kitchen remodel pics (excuse our construction mess!)

As for the fireplace brick, try this idea. We had 7 brick fireplaces in the last house we renovated, and they just looked too dark and gloomy, some of the bricks had deteriorated over time and we didn't have the money to replace them all. I grabbed some of the off-white paint I was using as trim all over the house and painted the brick, then before it dried wiped it off with rags.

This lady used another method and I like the results: http://cleverlyinspired.com/2011/01/first-project-2011-whitewash-brick-love-it/
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F7pN3Bb1UW8/TSM1pF5X0-I/AAAAAAAAA4o/lqRow6ucb2Y/s1600/DSCN6889.JPG

good luck with your new home! (Nasty old paneling aside) I love your downstairs area, it has good bones.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 10:45AM
Becky Harris
Is it just me, or is this paneling so out it's in? Like in a groovy hipster way? I think it's kind of awesome!
4 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:54AM
Aja Mazin
huh?
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 11:16AM
Jayme H.
Carol... I have been joking back and forth with this poster for some time....So if she feels I am upsetting her apple cart, by all means she can let me know! She has a pretty good sense of humor!!
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:47AM
groveraxle
Uh Becky...no.
6 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:50AM
Aja Mazin
Becky Harris,

That paneling is common fare for ever mom and pop restaurant in Florida that serves fried catfish as their Early Bird Special!
4 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:07PM
michigammemom
I think I have this same paneling in the basement of a rental property, and if I'm not mistaken the wildlife pattern has kind of a woodburned effect that might make painting over it ineffective. The door trim, baseboards, and corner moldings appear to be poorly crafted. You might be better off putting up bead board and then upgrading the trims at the same time.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 12:08PM
parsleycarrots
Oh My! I had to laugh because back in the mid-80's my parents put that exact same paneling in the BATHROOM of all places. I have no suggestions for you as I simply moved out of their house to escape Bambi and his woodland friends.
6 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:08PM
PRO
Alison Hodgson
I'm with Becky. It's like an American nature version of Toile...on paneling. I love Toile!

I actually can't believe it wasn't in my former home. Every, and I mean EVERY form of paneling and faux surface (bricks! volcanic rock!) not to mention a wall of cedar shakes, was used in various rooms, all of which I tore off or painted, room by room until the day it burned.

I hope you find a happy compromise.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 12:18PM
joannpb
You've got WAY too many colors going on here, even without the paneling. I see one panelled door, one white door and two medium stained, varnished door, unstained varnished stairs, white painted banisters, dark-stained trim, terra cotta floor tiles, multi-toned brick and a colored area rug.
Here's what I'd do:
First - remove the paneling from under the stairs (carefully, it might be useful elsewhere);

Second - Paint walls, medium stained doors and trim the color of a darker tone in the paneling (I suspect that was the intent with the dark trim already there). If you don't want a dark alcove, you could go for a creamy or rosy tone;

Third - paint stair railings, banisters and all other white paint in the room, (including inside front door) the same as alcove color.

Stop there and take a long look - that may be enough. An area rug with less blue in the tone would help also. I can't tell from the pictures if the panelling has a yellow brown or pinky brown tone. To get a really good color, you could remove the panelled door from its hinges and take it with you to your local home center. try LOTS of different paint chips with it to find the right shade. When you think you're close, take the whole works out to daylight and take another look before making your final choice.

While you have it out, take the door to the carpet department and match your paint color and door to a good piece of carpet. you can have it bound for a pretty small fee.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:50PM
PRO
Nancy O'Hara Interiors
Becky...I think it's just you...
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:08PM
hollybar
Becky,I'm with you. I'd bet that if feature wall-ed in a Brooklyn loft, that paneling with an Eames chair in front of it could be a star. Add a suitably unhappy hipster & pensive cat and it might make Dwell.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:17PM
Aja Mazin
Becky,

I do believe you are on to something!

With hollybar's marketing skills, all we need is a name for the paneling, and this stuff will be on backorder
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:27PM
Becky Harris
I bet Uncle Beefy could do something great with this:
http://thebedlamofbeefy.blogspot.com/
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:38PM
Dawn Taillon
Don't you love when you type all this stuff and hit the wrong key and it scrolls up and your post vanishes. Crap!
I love all the ideas and the banter and the humor. I don't take any of this personal. I sure did not put that hipster paneling from Tampa Bay IHOP on my walls.

It is actually a true cream color, with warm beige and a sort of stick brown background. I think it would be more fun and quirky if it had been on the ceiling behind some natural bead board or pine strips, so it peaked out behind it and made you want to explore the pictures while making out on the sofa.

I really did talk to him last night and he claims now, that he does not really like the paneling. (Yeah right), but does not think we need to worry about the downstairs yet since we can only afford to work on so much at one time.

Stall tactics. Anyways,

Rowe I love,love love the wide pine walls you shared.

Judy you are so right.

M.A.S construction loved the affordability of what you did with the 1X8 in the basement. I'm feeling ya.

Joanne yes too many patterns and colors, not cohesive.

Becky OMG! Uncle Beefy. I almost soiled myself. Yes maybe he can help me Becky.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 7:34PM
Dawn Taillon
These are two pictures of the upstairs as we were working on it. Not the best pix, but you can see kind of what it looks like. We are still working on it, Upstairs is gray, white, with lavender as an accent.
5 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:05PM
Aja Mazin
This cabin could be fantastic with the designer paneling!!

Give the white trim a Marsh Residence look to quiet the paneling.
Then, use cream and light blue grays liberally throughout.

And yes, lighten the brick!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:44AM
Aja Mazin
The IHOP on Dale Mabry called.

They want their paneling back.
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 10:54AM
chickinvic
The upstairs looks great. I think the downstairs has already been covered - nothing I can really add there, lol. Note to self: Don't ever buy a home that has a huge element that I hate and DH LOVES, lol. I just don't need the battle:)
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:05AM
Dawn Taillon
Aja lol rotflmao.

Yes but the home is in such an adorable area, 30 minutes from our regular house, has 4 seasons, in the desert that is rare. One day the home was a repo that was overpriced and one day it went down 70K and we bought it without even blinking, with a pass a detailed inspection, which it absolutely did. So here we are.

Honestly, it is so weird but the people that like it love it. So it makes you look at it in not so horrid a light. But when I go upstairs, I say no, this does not work, with the upstairs.

Lets send IHOP on Dale Mabry this post. lol
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 10:52AM
Dawn Taillon
Thanks for making this a fun post. You don't have to keep posting now unless you want to or see a pix of some cool thing that I could use, to show hubby, he is so visual.

So many people need our help... tongue in cheek ha? Thanks for the fun. I'm sure I will have more problems I bring you later.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 10:55AM
Aja Mazin
I hope you will continue to post photos so we can see the direction and progress!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:21PM
Lori Pringle
The biggest problem I see here is that none of this stuff goes well together. You have the bright white railing with a lot of browns and wood trims around it. The floor looks nice. The panelling is hideous - too busy and repetitive, and dated. I'd just paint all the wood trim white, and paint the panelling a solid, light color - maybe a light rust color similar to the floor, but a lot lighter.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:24AM
cohoek
Atrocious! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. The house dropped so much in price because of this paneling! Your house will become worth so much more if you get rid of the paneling. Ask the realtor! This argument must change your husbands mind. Why not put the paneling to the vote. The paneling is not a question of taste, its ugly, it shouldn't be in anyones home.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:14AM
Dawn Taillon
I agree.
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 7:28PM
Dawn Taillon
My husband is now insulted and defending the fact that he says he does not like the paneling now. lol
Men! He said he will post a thread. My wife loves this paneling, help me. lol

We agreed that our money would make a bigger difference in the up stairs when we first bought the house. We said we were not going to deal with the bottom for a while but I started getting anxious about what direction we would go because He keeps saying I want a rustic cabin downstairs for a Man cave. I'm not agreeing to any man cave in a 1776 sq ft home so I thought maybe you guys would have some ideas that made him want to commit to a direction, but it is not happening. He just wants to put off the downstairs, which is basically a small bedroom and a big storage area of a den for the time being, near the wood stove with a 1/4 bath that someone put in oddly.

I need to get the original plans maybe that would help us. Someone did something odd down there.

So I guess we are not planning to spend money down there at the moment still.

Thanks so much for your help. Will be back. He said we don't have to keep the paneling now. Thank God! I agree that someone may like it on Ebay if we save it. My sister swears her husband would love it. It's all his.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:39PM
Dawn Taillon
Oh Lori, the railing may have been different at one time. The upstairs is where the railing match, the downstairs, absolutely is a mishmash of early 80's with a smidge of updated railings that match another floor. UHG! I feel like I'm on a bad trip with Hanzel and Gretl down there.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:45PM
Aja Mazin
I am staying tune.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:45PM
jerry1903
Paneling has to go or at the very least painted. I agree with the fireplace comments. maybe a whitewash with some very large thick shelving. An imitation wood floor (for less of an investment, and lots of deep accent colors in the room.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 7:46PM
Dawn Taillon
I am so feeling you guys and your great ideas. I totally agree. I would probably make it more Restoration Hardware style if left to my own device and had more money but there are new twists on rustic now, like Rustic Refined, that is great. Some farmhouse transitional looks, beach houses that incorporate rustic into it without the moose head on the wall and deer paneling. I will keep you guys posted.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 8:02PM