powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please offer feedback. I am very confused about this.
koolbeanzzzz
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello All,

I'm wondering if I have these two paintings flanking the juju hat hanging too high. I've heard that art should be hung at eye level, but I felt the juju should be little higher and so I hung paintings as you see. Should I lower the juju hat and the paintings? Should they hang a little below the chairs? Is that ok to do? I'm so confused.

I'm also wondering if they work in the space. It's my own artwork and I've been on this flower kick lately, but maybe I have flower-overload going on here. My original idea was to hang large circular carved teak panels on each side of the juju. I was talked out of this idea by family and friends telling me I needed larger scale (tall) pieces on each side and that I should just paint something of my own, so I did. I had another idea for my art pieces to be simple abstracts, but my house has so much of my art like this, that I was getting bored with it so I went for the flower pops.

Here are some links so you can see the whole room:

LIVING ROOM / DINING ROOM UPDATE 1

LIVING ROOM / DINING ROOM UPDATE 2

Thank you for your input and feedback.

P.S. -- I had teak panels before I got the juju hat (see photo).

~Koolbeanzzzz

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
They appear to be hung at a fine height. Is the center of each one between 60-65'' off of the floor? If so, you're in the right range. The paintings are beautiful and appropriate for the space. I feel like there are too many things crowding them. I would remove the plant next to the floor lamp. I would also replace the plant on the commode with a creamy white vase or something not spiky. The spikiness is competing with the leaf shapes in the plants in the paintings and the juju. The juju might provide more impact in a different place too. Those pretty paintings need space to breathe!
February 6, 2013 at 5:51PM     
koolbeanzzzz
AMN: Thank you. Your advice is well received and I will measure to see. I was thinking the same thing about putting a simple vase and removing the grassy plant. Thank you very much! Most appreciated :)
February 6, 2013 at 5:56PM     
bojaby
I think you have the pictures at correct level for this arrangement. If you hung the pictures at the usual 60-66 inches at the center of the picture much of the picture would be hidden behind the chair. You have high ceilings and this arrangement draws your eye up. If you had lower ceilings this would not work. I also notice that the picturesare hung at about the level of the upper panes of your beautiful window.. You obviously have good taste and artistic talent as well. I really like your home.
February 6, 2013 at 6:00PM   
koolbeanzzzz
bojaby: Thank you very much! I often difficult for me to like my own artwork, so I appreciate your compliment.

Have a great day!
February 7, 2013 at 3:55AM   
More Discussions
Help with Wallpaper selection!
hi everyone! we have narrowed down 3 wallpaper selections...
What stain color to use on white oak floors with red cherry cabinets?
We recently purchased this house with red cherry cabinets...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Astro Turf
I stayed in a airbnb recently where the front yard...
Double wall oven vs range + single oven under counter
Trying to decide between having gas cooking top (36")...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.