Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen backsplash!!
crystaldawn
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,
I've been redoing my kitchen..a little background info.. I've had my cabinets painted with BM mountain peak white, installed all new SS appliances, replaced my laminate with colonial cream granite on the perimeter cabs, I ordered but still waiting on a wood top to replace the laminate on my island...also, as you see in the pics, I removed the existing backsplash...So now to the reason for my plea for help!!..my dilemmas are
1. what i should do for backsplash...I'm leaning strongly towards white subway tiles...I've also considered a white "crackle" subway tile I found...I love the clean and cottage look of an all white kitchen...my house is fairly small the floor plan with an open kitchen, dining and living area so cottage beachy feel works for me:)

2. The space above the sink....that was to be a window....dumb builder goof, since their was going to be an attached garage (DB). silly me I didn't think looking out my kitchen window into my garage made much sense (insert sarcasm)...when this was discussed with the builder he agreed to "fix it"...so I've had this large area, about 42" wide between the cabinets.... Prior to the kitchen redo my backsplash was tumbled marble 4x4's and in the space over the sink was a large piece of mirror framed with a decorative marble molding, it was rather costly...but It looked ok...however the mirror had constant water spots due to the local and the sink...So any ideas for my large useless bare area? I've considered placing wood shelves ( 1 or 2??) with the subway tile behind....I've considered stainless shelves with subway tile behind...I even thought about adding a cabinet...

Thanks to those of you that actually read this whole thing! I tend to be a bit wordy lol:) ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm going to replace my knobs and pulls too so any ideas on what would look good would also be helpful:)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
crystaldawn
Here are pics showing the old backsplash and the area above sink
February 6, 2013 at 6:19pm   
DIAspoton
very pretty so far. can you have the outlets moved up under the cabinets for a cleaner look.also add under cabinet lighting.

i like the idea of subway tile and would use a few random glass or mirror tiles for added interest.

i really want to see a vanishing point at eye level above the sink. maybe 22"W x 20" H. no new colors. an artist could do a pen and ink framed under glass or create a pattern of mosaic tiles in white,gray and silver. the idea is to give depth and interest to a space where you'd expect to be looking out a window into the distance.

leaning toward a polished chrome for hardware. brushed nickel could work. order several to try. there are so many good choices out now. hope this helps some.
February 6, 2013 at 6:50pm     
PRO
Cabell Design Studio
Hello crystaldawn,

Great job so far. I agree with DIAspoton... stick with the clean white subway tiles. Another alternative to the crackle look is a beveled white subway tile as shown below. It provides a nice architectural element to the installation.

2012 PROJECTS

Kitchen Remodel

You might think about utilizing the large space between your cabinets for an accent tile.... See examples below...

KitchenLab

Salem Tudor Remodel

Rancho Santa Fe

Can't wait to see the wood top! Stick with brushed nickel hardware and best of luck with your decorating. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance,

Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
February 6, 2013 at 7:20pm     
collettec
I like the idea of subway tiles - another option other than white would be pulling one of the colors from the granite. For the window area, maybe shelving, perhaps a different color than either the wall or the backsplash tile to give the illusion that is "something different" than either as is the case with a window. You could get creative with this area, one option - have seen some fun things like reclaimed windows - the frames painted in white, or distressed white paint, with pictures or prints in the window panes that could have more of a cottage beachy look.
February 6, 2013 at 7:22pm     
fuzinav
Try a short cabinet high up between the two existing ones with an under cabinet light over your sink. Then you can fill the rest of the space with your backsplash material.
February 6, 2013 at 7:36pm     
PRO
Reclaimed DesignWorks
Crystal, it looks great so far. Instead of using standard white subway tile how about something more unique such as these reclaimed timber tiles. They are applied and installed exactly like a standard tile and are sealed so they are easy to clean and water resistant. Above the sink you could go with some silver gray barn wood shelves or driftwood shelves to go along with the wood tiles. IMO that would give you the "beach" and "cottage" feel you are looking for. Best of luck!
February 6, 2013 at 7:57pm     
Debra Hallberg-Palmer
I did a quick fix that was inexpensive and really looks good for now, Home Depot has plastic ceiling look back splash panels. I did etched silver but there are a variety of sytles and finishes.
February 6, 2013 at 8:00pm     
crystaldawn
Wow!! thank you all for the great suggestion!
February 7, 2013 at 12:26am   
scole69
If your leaning towards a clean cottage kitchen I'd go with a really glossy white tile, with a touch a colour whether its fresh flowers or a lighting fixture, your kitchen will glow with shine.
February 7, 2013 at 12:41am     
rinqreation
I'd try to find cottage (high gloss crackle) tiles in the same color as the lamps or a bit lighter. Mix them up with cream, pale blue, blush and soft beige. Soft tones. Or mother of pearl glass tiles?
February 7, 2013 at 2:45am     
crystaldawn
Here is a few pictures I'm drawn to for inspirational ideas for backsplash and above the sink...I think this might help everyone see what I'm thinking in my mind:) obviously these pictures wont all show my exact configuration but will have some ideas I might be able to use
February 7, 2013 at 10:32am     
crystaldawn
More inspiration!
February 7, 2013 at 10:38am     
joanbllt
Why not put a selected picture over the sink - fairly large - perhaps a window scene.
February 16, 2013 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
We did a Smallbone style kitchen reno and had an area like this above the old desk. We set a vertical wood dish rack into the existing open shelving. It is a fairly European idea to have drying/draining rack over the sink. I think i saw a similar one in the Ikea catalog in stainless.
February 16, 2013 at 8:37pm