Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating this wall
rmalik2004
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
When we build our house 9 yrs ago, we were happy to build space for TV, since this wall has become my greatest nightmare. I can't figure out how to decorate it. It seems so dead and boring.... the wall color is chocolate brown and the other walls in the room are tan. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
standinginline
First thought, break the long wall with a horizontal chair rail, keep the lower portion darker than the upper portion. This will be a good start to keeping the wall from looking so intimidatingly tall. I can't see the rest of your room to comment on what or where you should decorate, but my guess is, you probably don't want to add anything eye-popping on that upper portion of the wall. Keep the lower portion more interesting and cozy. Have some way of closing off that tv...I notice there is a fireplace to the left that almost blends in? It looks a bit sad right now, that could use some love and more attention brought to it.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
rmalik2004
Thank you standinginline, this whole room is sad and boring and dead. I have ideas to replace furniture and add more pieces but this wall is killing me..yes the fireplace totally blends in...I am having tough time figuring out how to break the wall. Thanks for your input, truly appreciate it.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:04PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
My first suggestion would be to try and put the TV on another wall. That way you could make your fireplace wall a great feature wall.
If that is not a possibility then check out the attached photo.
What works well is that the fireplace is defined by the surround material (could be tile or brick or metal)
What also works is the floating shelves that make the eye go sideways instead of upwards. The TV in the picture actually blends in well amongst the shelving.

Search on Houzz living rooms under modern style to see more ideas for your fireplace.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 11:03PM
rmalik2004
Thanks Welcome Home designs, I like the fireplace surround and the floating shelves idea too. Just need to visualize it. Will definitely look for living rooms on Houzz.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:25AM
rmalik2004
Has anyone done a wall stencil? Would that be a good idea? Thanks!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:26AM
rmalik2004
Any other ideas?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:12AM