Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My new cabin
Interiors International, Inc.
February 6, 2013 in Polls
The pictures are of the model before construction. The others are where I'm at so far. It was intended to be a contemporary version of the Craftsman style. My question is, do you like my exterior interpretation of the model?
Or did I miss the mark?
Like exterior?
Missed it?
Hate it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sorry, the pictures are out of order. I'm sure you can tell which ones are the model. ;-) The questions are based on all the exterior pictures.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 8:36PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
III. I like it, reminds me of Christopher Alexander's work (Pattern Language and Timeless way of Building). Don't see A&C as much as you hoped maybe...but dig it anyway.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 8:52PM
PRO
@Ironwood Builders I have never heard of Christopher Alexander. Is that book still being published?
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:07PM
PRO
@CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.About 3,000 on 4 levels. Foundation is 24x30 it was the original and we could make it larger it is on a lake. The old cabin burned.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:33AM
PRO
Dytecture
I like the overall shape of the house, not so much with the color choices unfortunately.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
@Dytecture I choose the colors so the house blends into the trees in the summer and fall. That and they fit the neighborhood and the traditional colors of the A&C style. But I get that color is subjective. Here are pics in the fall.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:12PM
PRO
Dytecture
I see, thanks for the explanation as the colors seemed they came from nowhere, but now it makes perfect sense !
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 12:27PM
PRO
Thanks, it is something that needed to be handled delicately the neighbors are a bit touchy.. I would have loved to build concrete/glass and steel but I would have been yhe most hated person on the lake. :-( .
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 3:42PM
Aja Mazin
WOW!

I love it!

The railings are so unique, but blend so well.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 4:00PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin thanks, they are made with 4"x4" treated posts with galvanized conduit between them. We bent the corners because I didn't want posts on the corners.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:04PM
Aja Mazin
I like the colours, but not so much the use of the colours in the patchwork quilt fashion.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:05PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin that is kind of the architects signature. I kind of liked it in the really contemporary houses he designed. Other than the cantilevered angles that is really the only contemporary design detail I was able to keep.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 4:10PM
Jayme H.
It is unique...I need a better look...I think it's great too btw! Now show us the inside!
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 4:18PM
PRO
@Jayme Hobbs right now we are just starting drywall. It should be done in Sept. I will post pics of the inside then.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:29PM
Aja Mazin
I am confused.

Is the home finished?

Are you the architect or is this your interpretation of the architect's design?

I think it is interesting that you chose to leave the same footprint but expand vertically.

I find the trend towards 4 and 5 story homes fascinating.
http://inthralld.com/2012/10/m11-house-by-a21-architecture-in-vietnam/
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:33PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin I am the owner and the GC. The architect had a much more contemporary exterior planned. We collaborated on the new roof lines. Then I choose the materials/colors and added details. He has been involved throughout the project but not in a hands on capacity. I am an Interior Designer and Real Estate Developer. The house is not done it will hopefully be by Sept 2013.
Being that the house is on a lake in MN. the zoning restrictions didn't allow use to build out. We had to go up. Which is why I enlisted a friend that is an architect. He thinks outside the box like myself. I fell in love with the floor plan with all the angles and cantilevers. However his exterior elevations were not something that would have look good in the neighborhood. So we changed it to be a contemporary version of a A&C cabin. Now it stands out but still fits in with the rest of the houses on the lake.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 5:04PM
PRO
Linda
Those railings are neat! Nice job
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:30PM
PRO
@Linda Thanks, it actually is the one thing that all the neighbors agree that they like.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:33PM
carolannr
I'm sorry but I think it would blend in better in the landscape if it was a single color. Not close enough to the A&C movement to satisfy me or, I imagine, your neighbors in the MN lake country where I grew up. Is it a spec house or your own? What part of the state because that makes a difference too?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:56PM
PRO
@carolannr It is mine. The original cabin burned down. It is about an hour west of the cities. I appreciate your opinion. It isn't to late for me to change the color. It is only paint as we say in the design biz. ;-)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:06PM
Jayme H.
I grew up in MN....there's always someone who does something different...not always a bad thing.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:07PM
PRO
@Jayme Hobbs Thanks, I think, well I'm going to take that as a compliment. I to grew up in MN. and I just can't seem to leave this lake area. I bought my first home there when I was 21. I have maintained a house or cabin there ever since.
PS: where in MN. did you grow up? I am from St. Cloud.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:10PM
carolannr
Guess that's why I moved tp Denver - lots of new and different here. Most of my years have been here so the only opinions I have received from there were ultra conservative as far as bldg options were concerned. Sorry to hear about anyone's prize lake cabin going tho, I know how many memories they can hold. Loved the architecture of that new cabin tho - it looks fascinating. As far as color goes, I would go with a green greige and let that architecture show with shade and shadows from the surroundings. Please keep us informed as you go along -
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:22PM
Jayme H.
My maternal grandmother was from St. Cloud...Swankl, I believe her last name was spelled, so still have some family there....I grew up closer to the ND border...the homely part of the state! Red River Valley....My family had lake homes on Cass Lake, Lake of the Woods, and a smaller lake, Union Lake. And what I mean by different is, something not run of the mill or a log cabin type place :) I appreciate variety.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:22PM
PRO
This cabin is only 20 min. from St. Cloud. I know the lakes you were on very well. My families summer cabin was in Cross lake. I still have family there and really everywhere in MN. LOL. You can't throw a rock without hitting a relative. ;-)
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:27PM
PRO
Harris Welker Architects
HI! I was curious about the model, was it 3D printed or was it constructed with Basswood? The model glows beautifully and Basswood normally doesn't have that ability.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:27PM
carolannr
I grew up in southern MN but spent alot of time at cabins "Up North" every summer. My former sister-in-law has a year round home on Clear Lake, just east of St Cloud. Don't get there as often as we used to.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:32PM
PRO
He built it out of foam core. It does light nicely.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:33PM
PRO
@carolannr that is very close to my place. Have a lot of friends there.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:35PM
PRO
@carolannr here is a picture of the old one.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:39PM
carolannr
When they got that house in the late 70's, it had water hoses for its plumbing and extension cords for its electricity. They've done alot of work on it but its still the little cabin, never changed its footprint except to add a deck on the lake side. I can just imagine what she will say about yours tho - that's where all the criticism came from. I'm glad when I hear anyone has found their home niche like you have. Good luck with it and may you some sunshine to warm your build. Really don't like those gas heaters we used to use to hang drywall in the winter!!
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:47PM
carolannr
Looks just like what they finished with!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:51PM
PRO
@carolannr yeah they suck. We were using them in Dec. I closed up the camper we are living in on Dec.18th. and headed to my office/home in Naples FL. for the rest of the winter. It is just to darn cold up there. It is especially bad when you trying to live in a camper. LOL. Going to be my 3rd summer in that stupid thing.
3 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:57PM
ispeakwhale
Wow! HOW WONDERFUL!
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:09PM
carolannr
See that why I moved to Denver - we only have a couple of days like that all winter. But, I have finalled a new house while we got 26 inches of snow outside here but I was able to get back to my house safely so that's all that matters. It all melted the next day. New home construction goes on all year round here. Spent one winter in Orlando finallizing a commercial bldg - but still prefer Denver. One of my companies was a commercial warehouse painting company and I have had a crew of 15 working in January on exterior work here - don't think there are many other places I could do that. But you have the best of both seasons, tho I suppose it will be a while before you can get back up there. My 92 year old mom still lives in way south MN and she said its below 0 there for a long time. Plus you will have to dig to get back to that trailer! Good luck when you get back to it. Got projects in FL to keep you busy there?
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 7:11PM
PRO
@carolannr I keep busy. I would like to be busier though. ;-)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:25PM
PRO
@ispeakwhale Thanks, I hope your talking about the house and not the snow bound camper I was living in up until Dec. 18th.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:27PM
PRO
@carolannr What line of work do you do?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:29PM
ispeakwhale
Welllll, the snow is wonderful, too, but...

Burrr. ;)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:01PM
carolannr
Bad car accident kind of took me out of the heavy duty side of things but I had lots of irons in the fire when I was my busiest - interior designer, remodeler, painting contractor, gc - with a crew to do most of the heavy lifting stuff. As I tried to slow down, ended up in interior design and final quality control for a ciouple of new home builders along the front range - Fort Collins down to Castle Pines south of Denver. So I'm kind of retired now outside of occasional job for individuals who always want advice and help. I love Houzz for that reason, I can still offer advice on things I know about without the actual work and time bind,
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:02PM
PRO
@Carolannr, Sorry to hear that an accident pulled you away from a career you are so obviously good at and enjoy. I'm glad your here on Houzz. I'm following you so keep in touch. :-)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:17PM
PRO
I will post pictures of the floor plans as as I can reduce the file size.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 3:01PM
Aja Mazin
tapping foot......
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 3:07PM
Jayme H.
Tapping feet.....
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 4:12PM
Aja Mazin
HEY JOHNATHAN!

Can I borrow April's copy of Readers Digest Condensed?

kollyhogs glued it to the her out house floor.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:43PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin LOL, I am so sorry that I offended her. I really liked the idea when she posted the vanity. The second post with the entire room was just not to my design sensibilities. I guess I will really watch myself from now on. I have received constructive criticism on some of the things I've post. I never expect everyone to love all my ideas. Did you get the invite to the Houzz event in SOBE? If your going I might too.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 8:54AM
Jayme H.
What party? I wasn't invited!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:58AM
PRO
jayme, it is in Miami. I don't know if it was just sent out to FL. houzzer's. I will post the invite here if I can.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 9:08AM
Jayme H.
Cool, thanks... I hate to miss out on any fun!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:11AM
PRO
@jayme Hobbs and Aja mezin here is the invite info:

Hello Interiors International, Inc.,

I want to personally invite you to join me on February 20th at our Miami Open Houzz event, where I will be sharing a sneak preview of the results of our second annual Houzz homeowner survey.

The event will be held from 6 - 8 pm on Wednesday, February 20th at CB2. You are more than welcome to extend this invitation to others who you think might be interested.
CB2
1661 Jefferson Avenue | Lincoln Road Mall
Miami Beach, FL
Libations and hors d'oeuvres

I'm very much looking forward to meeting you in person and hope you can join. If you are able to attend, please RSVP here. Please also ensure that each guest RSVPs individually.

Best,
Liza Hausman
VP, Community | Houzz
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:16AM
Aja Mazin
ha ha!
Is it an invite for a witch burning? My tail feathers are scorched from last week!!!

You couldn't hurt her feelings with a 2 x 4..
Her Readers Digest idea is not new. My cat has been decorating the bottom of his litter pan for years
with the NYT.

So SOBE is just another event where my invitation was "lost in the email"?

hrruump!
I will have to make a reservation w. my mom at the RC and endure their luxurious spa treatments
[ diving for lost balls.]
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
So, does that mean your going? If so I would like to meet you there. I will not be staying the night. It is only 1 1/12 hours from Naples.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:27AM
Jayme H.
What I wouldn't give to be in FLA right now...below zero temps again this weekend!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:39AM
Aja Mazin
But Johnathan, I thought we could stay in your camper.....
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 9:41AM
Jayme H.
Then u would have to be up in this lovely frigid area...save that for summer!!! LOL...it is lovely in MN in the summer!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:44AM
PRO
yeah, I left that darn thing up north. Living in it in the summer is bad enough. I will be in the new cabin by July! YES! I love it there in the summer it is so beautiful on the lake.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:49AM
Aja Mazin
geeeez, why do I even answer the phone?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:04AM
Aja Mazin
HELP! My new custom built home just fell off the face of the earth!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:06AM
PRO
Bite your tonged, I want that place done. Will you be attending the SoBe. event?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:09AM
Aja Mazin
If I don't go, they will be free to dis me!!

Where in Miami?

Did I mention I was awarded a full Physics Honor Scholarship to U of M at 14?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:12AM
PRO
Wow, no you didn't so your beautiful and smart. Where were you when I was single and dating women? It is on Lincoln Mall in SoBe.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:15AM
Aja Mazin
Are you sure you do not have to be a professional to attend?

It's a 5-51/2 hour drive, hmmmmm..

and who would not want to do South Beach?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:19AM
Aja Mazin
And now........
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 10:45AM
PRO
5 1/2 hours you would need to stay the night I would think. SoBe is a fun place to visit. You don't have to be a pro. I'm not sure what you mean by "And now..."
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:01AM
Aja Mazin
You said "when I was...." and left us hanging in suspense!!!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:16AM
Aja Mazin
oh, and YES.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
Cool give me a call my contact info is on my website. idesignintl.com
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:43AM
Aja Mazin
My mom use to date Jack Penrod!!

NO LIE!

Jack owned Penrod's Palace in Feathersound and his brother was married and had a home close to her!

They sold out and moved to South Beach.!
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2206&dat=19871016&id=Rf4lAAAAIBAJ&sjid=o_MFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2967,4770313
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:52AM
Aja Mazin
HEY JAYME!

How far is it from ND to Tampa?
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 12:37PM
Jayme H.
1,181 miles...One of my best friends is down there as we speak, on a business trip...
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 12:40PM
Aja Mazin
HOW MANY MILES DO MOST PEOPLE TRAVEL PER DAY?
[I avoid long car trips with other people like the plague.]
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:01PM
Aja Mazin
A question: what is the going price of someone to clean, dust, and vacuum once or twice a week in ND?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:04PM
Jayme H.
My husband and I are such awful travelers we almost missed the plane to CA to get married! (Drove right past Minneapolis)...we both complain after approx 1/2 hr in the car....hence...I will not drive far in a car!! And to be honest, not sure what it costs for cleaning up here...I know they only pay the cleaning people 9 or 10$ per hr as I have seen jobs advertised...so I am sure it's at least 100% mark-up..prob. more....
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:12PM
Aja Mazin
FOR THE 4TH YEAR IN A ROW, WE HAVE THE HIGHEST EMPLOYMENT RATE IN THE NATION.

BUT $30 HOUR WON'T GET YOU A PERSON TO SHOW UP.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 1:21PM
Jayme H.
Maybe I should clean down there..up here I don't get much more to work on heart attack and trauma victims...when I was young I cleaned houses for $5 an hour before I went into nursing. And I did a damn good job, may I add!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:22PM
Aja Mazin
WE HAVE TONS OF HEART ATTACK VICTIMS.
I ONCE MUCKED STALLS AT $5.00 EACH.

I HAVE NEVER HAD A JOB THAT I DIDN'T ENJOY.
GUESS I HAVE BEEN LUCKY.
[CAN'T SEE - I HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE.]
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:33PM
Jayme H.
I was wondering why the capitals..we have a good friend with diabetes and she is always on "caps lock"....get that checked if it keeps up!! Good, hard work builds character...I didn't mind the cleaning, but had my 2 year old daughter with sometimes....no daycare.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 1:36PM
Aja Mazin
My mom fell off her bike and broke her wrist and sprained an ankle.
I am more than happy to help out, but she wanted to get someone in.

Fine, thought I, forgetting Pinellas County is home to more scam artists and worthless, lazy, fat people than
any other place in Florida.

The 1st girl decided to order delivery - a super greasy pizza deluxe with extra fatty meat and 2 - 2 liters of Mountain Dew before walking off with my credit card.

My mother's vacuum cleaner and the next girl were discovered frolicking in my mom's pool.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:14PM
Aja Mazin
Jayme Hobbs,

We lost power after being hit by a storm..
I fell asleep and just awoke.

The worse has past, but more is heading our way.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:21PM
PRO
Sorry to hear about the bad weather your having. It is crazy beautiful here in Naples.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:28PM
Aja Mazin
Interiors International, Inc.,

Just wait until tomorrow...

You live in Golden Gates, don't you?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:33PM
Jay Van Daley
That house would fit in nicely in the hill country of Texas. Austin especially is known for being...eclectic. I think the interpretation of the architects design is very well done. Looking forward to seeing the interior once it's finished.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:48PM
PRO
@Fedor Construction Specialties, Inc Thanks I'm glad you like it. I am happy with it so far. The interior spaces that the architect created are amazing. I am looking so forward to doing the interior.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:12PM
Jay Van Daley
I do a lot of interior work. Not the design, but usually the finish carpentry, cabinet installations, etc. I just finished doing some work for an architect's group at their company offices in Austin, and I'm hoping that since they liked my work it leads to more.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:14PM
PRO
@Aja, Heck NO! I live in Naples! :-)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:15PM
Jay Van Daley
I visited Naples a few years ago. What an awesome place!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:16PM
PRO
@Fedor Construction Specialties, Inc I certainly hope you do. That is really the only way to get clients. Advertizing really doesn't work as well as referrals. If you ever need a designer there I'm available I like Texas.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:22PM
PRO
@Fedor Construction Specialties, Inc Naples is really great. I love spending the winters here.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:24PM
Jay Van Daley
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've only been in business for the past 6 months, and we are just beginning to build a little momentum. Mostly commercial and institutional work to this point, but I'm always on the lookout for avenues into the single family residential and condo markets. Especially the condo markets the way they are building them here right now. Looks like early 2000's Florida!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:25PM
Jayme H.
@Aja...sorry for your crappy weather & your poor Mom! How did someone manage to get into the pool with a vacuum? I assume they are still alive?
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:29PM
Aja Mazin
Yes, unfortunately.

The Quiet Man

"Here is a nice stick to beat the lovely lady with..."

1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
@Aja and Jayme LOL! You two are funny, I think I love you.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:07PM
Jayme H.
Like the pool scene in "Sunset Boulevard"...but instead of William Holden floating face down...it was a Hoover...
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:15PM
Aja Mazin
No paddy fingers!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:15PM
Jayme H.
With a cleaning lady still attached to it
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:20PM
Aja Mazin
Well, I can't say it's true, and I won't say it's not, but there's been talk.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:21PM
PRO
LMFAO!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:33PM
Aja Mazin
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 25 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:41PM
Aja Mazin
I have found the perfect rug for your cabin.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:49PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin It will fit the powder room perfectly for size just not color or style. lol
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 7:52PM
Aja Mazin
Just so you know, the "custom built home" is a creation of the imagination of Frank Bright, Houzz's resident punkster.

The picture on the wall is a dead giveaway!

I suspect aclark 900 to soon report she is the victim of radon poisoning.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:03PM
PRO
@Fedor Construction Specialties, Inc, Maybe I should fly in and help break into that market. I did well in FL in the 2000's. ;-)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:13PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin I am missing something here. What and who are "aclark 900 and Frank Bright"?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:35PM
Aja Mazin
Ha! I think this rug is too small!
It's a 5x8...but it looks too small! What are your recommendations?

>Interiors International, Inc.
''Seriously? Of course it is too small. Put it somewhere else. You need to find a bigger one for that room.''
5 days ago · like · 10

>aclark900
''Hey Interiors International!! Yes, I'm being serious. Why do you think I asked the freakin question. JERK.''

[I, then come under attack, despite not commenting, other to ask if the rug shrunk.]

The thread ends with zenhome's final comment.-

>zenhome
''Unbelievable how a so called professional "Interiors International" would respond in such a rude and unprofessional manner. Comments like this DO get noticed.

Fortunately we have designers such as Susan Mills who respond because they take a genuine interest in helping people and are passionate about design. Kudos to you!''
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/342146/_msg=Q291bGQgbm90IGRlbGV0ZSBhbiBhbnN3ZXIgdG8gdGhpcyBxdWVzdGlvbi4/Ha--I-think-this-rug-is-too-small-

Frank Bright is the puppetmaster for a bunch of socks!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:35PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin Thank you so much for bring this to my attention. I can't believe such anger over my simple post that the rug was too small. What's up with that? I honestly thought she was making a funny post She did start it with the word "HA!". It wouldn't be the first person that tried to have a bit of fun on this site. Damn, people a touchy.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 6:17AM
Jayme H.
@Interiors...Probably not about U, or the question...possibly misdirected...
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
@Jayme Hobbs Oh no it was definitely meant at me they used my name. I'm quite shocked I think I am a kind person at least I try to be.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 7:04AM
michigammemom
Interiors International, greetings to a fellow Minnesotan. I love the green and russet colors you have chosen (perfect with the fall foliage) but prefer the traditional horizontal siding...especially for the conservative Midwest. The random paneled effect makes the exterior look unfinished.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:12AM
carolannr
OMG, there are some "snarky" posters on Houzz! Its worse than political season on Facebook! Sometimes I just have to backspace everything I wrote when I see some of the situations on here, you just have to chuckle at the ridiculous. But then, there was always be someone who just has no control when it comes to criticizing someone else's post. Take heart tho you guys, they probably are that way with everybody. I don't think you should take it seriously.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:15AM
PRO
@michigammemom, here I thought you were from MI. I spend a lot of time there also. Yeah, the random panels are definitely not conservative MN. but I guess that was the architects objective. It is really the only contemporary exterior part he designed that we used. The original design was all that siding plus a roof that was floating on a glass wall. The panels actually do look better in person than they do in the pictures. Although they are an acquired taste. lol.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:22AM
michigammemom
Triple I, born and raised on the Iron Range and now a resident of MI. I appreciate innovation and love the way the horizontal siding was paired with single color panels in this application.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:54AM
PRO
Yes, I do like that but have seen it everywhere. You need to realize that I'm a bit out there when it comes to personality. I like being called "weird" I take it as a compliment. I do appreciate all the opinions given here. It will help if I ever decide to sell. I know that it really is a "me" statement. The next one I build might be in Traverse City. I already own the land. I bet it will be a bit odd also , ;-)
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 9:31AM
Jayme H.
@Interiors..what I was getting at was that sometimes a strong reaction is an actual transference issue...originating from some other issue in that person's life. Anyhow, you're not so weird, u are individual and likeable.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 11:03AM
PRO
Thanks Jayme! I like you a lot too!
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:06AM
Aja Mazin
Interiors International, Inc.,

Two possibilities come to mind:

1,] You were an innocent victim who just happened to be the 1st to respond;

2.] Envy and jealously that some harbor of those that are successful and skilled.

This poster is interesting because of her unique personal narrative:

She has a husband, 2 young children and previously owned a small 3 bedroom, 1 bath home.

She and her husband closed on a "custom built" 4,000 sq ft home with 6 bathrooms after doing the final walk thru inspection, only to discover 9 days later that their new home had 35 problems that they had failed to note.

Apparently, the home was in danger of imminent collapse, yet our spunky homeowner bravely continued to solicit decorating advice and purchase furniture for the living room.

While 6 bathrooms might seem excessive for 4 people in a 4,000 sq ft home, it seems to me just about right in this instance.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:07PM
PRO
Linda
AJA, thank you for connecting these two discussions. I had read both separately but it didn't hit me that this post refers to the same poster who has numerous issues...

Obviously (or is it seriously?) I'm not referring to Interiors International
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:24PM
zenhome
Sometimes people just need to move on Aja. I am sure the poster with numerous dilemmas in her new home will not be posting on Houzz anymore with the lack of empathy shown from people like you.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin 1st, Please call me Johnathan you are my friend now after all. 2nd, Is she having that many problems? I feel so bad for her. Although I do think it a bit odd that the rug would be a priority if the house is in such bad shape. I wish she would actually ask me about the real problems. I have extensive construction knowledge and experience. I also am good at dealing with builders who do not hold up their end of the contract agreement.
Thank you so much for defending me. You know I haven't a malicious bone in me.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:10PM
Aja Mazin
Linda,

Thank you for solving the mystery.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/347821

Here we find some very narrow minded , cruel people who apparently have nothing better to do with their time than gossip and complain.

In fact, several have been banned from Houzz and now appear as "incarnates."

Houzz is an international site.

The US dollar is artificially supported.

GDP - real growth rate:- has plummeted to 2.2% (2012 est.) and we rank 138th in
country comparison to the world.

Our GDP - per capita (PPP): is 12th.

Our unemployment rate ranks a dismal 98th in country comparison to the world.

Our population has never been less educated or less skilled since the end of WWII.

Perhaps, the xenophobes, bigots, and "elitists" can find someone from India or China
to explain what this means.

SOURCE: CIA Factbook.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:15PM
Jayme H.
This general contractor is bad news....I sincerely believe there has to be recourse here. I do know state laws vary etc...Does anyone know what state the home in question is located? Additionally....there HAS to be other people similarly affected by this shoddy work & this contractor.....Sharks can spot defenseless victims from miles away...I think there is a tiger shark involved. Interestingly, I have not seen much feedback on any steps being pursued to remedy any of this...??? (owners)...but maybe I have missed the boat..no puns intended...shark and all..................
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:15PM
Jayme H.
@Interiors...Do u know much about bamboo flooring? I am considering it for my entire main floor....Please help me with your expertise...I know u have an arsenal of it!!! Thanks friend!
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:21PM
Jayme H.
Now let's all just be thankful we are not on that cruise ship with no working toilets for the 5th or 6th day!!
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 2:35PM
Aja Mazin
zenhome,

How right you are!

"Sometimes people just need to move on"
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:37PM
Jayme H.
Do people seriously do things like that? I just cannot imagine. If it does exist...it is right up there with "The Money Pit"...(old movie)..Or "Mr. Blandings Dream Home".
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 2:43PM
Aja Mazin
Jayme,

Take a look at:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/347821/OLLD-2-12
[that is my dear "friend" bobbiep.]

I love "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream Home"

On this thread, it is finally admitted that the intent was to punk out Houzzers: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/183178
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:09PM
Jayme H.
Aja...I got punked in the ER at work..I will have to tell u about it sometime! Oh yes, I saw the Frank Bright thing some time ago and was like...????
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 3:20PM
Jayme H.
@Interiors & Aja....Happy Valentine's Day....(Bate's Motel)....Vacancies
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 7:41PM
PRO
@ Jayme Happy Valentines Day to you too! On the issue of Bamboo I do know quite a lot on the subject. We will have to talk tomorrow on that. ;-)
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 8:57PM
Aja Mazin
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn't that crazy? "

0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 3:43PM
Susanna
Your only mistake on that post, International, was typing faster than I do. I don't think it was real. It was too much like the other one, where some lady asked what kind of potted plant was best to camouflage the major crack in the brick retaining wall. I hope you don't worry about it.
Love your cabin! I wouldn't be too concerned about your neighbors. Sheep always get nervous.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
PRO
@Susanna Artistea, Thanks it's nice to hear that about both topics ;-)
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 11:02AM
Susanna
I just caught the photo of the exterior colors. Very cool. Like William Morris meets Mondrian
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I really do too.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 12:33PM
Aja Mazin
nteriors International, Inc.

View the house featured on this thread and the video tour. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/352386/Floating-Dinning-Room-Idea-Feedback
I would like your opinion.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 1:27PM
PRO
@Aja Mazin I think the interior is inspirational. I was a little disappointed in the exterior. I was hoping that it would be a bit more extraordinary instead of bordering on ordinary. What did you think?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 2:01PM
Aja Mazin
I absolutely loved the interior.
However, I would not want an exercise room.

I loved the cozy nooks tucked away!

I thought the kitchens were fantastic!

I think your railing would have been better on the deck!

How would you change the exterior?
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 3:45PM
PRO
It is to pedestrian. It should have looked more like the interior. A contemporary rendition of that mountain look would have been more interesting.
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 4:25PM