Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen, please
grandmalucy12
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to remodel a 40 year old kitchen. Can't decide where to leave the peninsula that divides kitchen from breakfast area. Or to have a galley kitchen and open it up. Right now I have an electric stove top going to gas. Will I have enough prep area if I take out? Please any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hollisluane
Take out peninsula and put a small island to provide landing space from both sides of the kitchen. Dont know how wide the area is.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 9:55PM
designgirl178
The space is too large for a true galley kitchen, but if you take out the peninsula you could add a narrow island and not lose much cabinet space. What is across from the peninsula? Take out the peninsula, add a few more wall and base cabinets and maybe put in a movable island possibly made from a sofa table (on casters) with a narrow width but still usable for extra space. Good luck.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 10:12PM
ruthmand
You could gain some counterspace by getting a smaller sink, or relocating it out of that corner altogether. I realize the DW is next to it but maybe you can get by with a single sink. It would certainly save you some counterspace. What if you got a regular stove and eliminated the wall oven? You could then move the fridge into that space and have a run of cabinets & counter along the fridge wall. If you are planning to stay within the current kitchen footprint I would leave the peninsula in (square off the end) and have a straight run of uppers (no corner cabinet on end) on the stove wall. I think you would get the most storage & counter space that way, have a more open feel looking into the dining area and room for a couple of stools there. However, not knowing what your needs are and how much you are wanting to change it is rather difficult to make suggestions.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 10:33PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
it looks as if you are working with 10 1/2 to 11' across. Not big enough for an island unless you eliminate the run of cabinets along the fridge area. if it closer to 11-12' you would have room for shallow pantries on the fridge wall. That being the case, ovens & fridge would need to be grouped together over near current ovens. I would then move the cooktop over to create a focal point on the wall between sink & nook. A beautiful hood could work. Perhaps glass cabinets either side of the cooktop. Your island would be at least 6 ft long & more than compensate for your removal of peninsula. (keep in mind at least 3-4' aisles) If you don't wish to crowd your oven area.. go with narrow pantry, then fridge, then micro on shelf. Use a high performance range instead of a cooktop with a fabulous hood over.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 10:40PM
Katina Jones
Renovating a 40 year old home, congratulations! From the looks of the sketch, the peninsula in not really needed with the breakfast table right there. If everything is to scale, people in their chairs will not have an abundance of space. For prep space with no peninsula blocking the path, a square butcher block island would work well and be really cute in the stove/ sink area .... defining the work space without bleeding into the social space. This isn't the best photo of my little prep island, but you can kind of get the jest. I have storage, butcher block workspace and on the other side there is room for two barstools if needed. You'd have the freedom to move it where you like whenever you like. You could use it as an island replacing the peninsula with the barstools or as prep island deeper in the kitchen. I purchased mine from ikea where there is also one that is slightly smaller with castors, which you could scoot up next to this one if more work space were needed and moved elsewhere when not. Good Luck!
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 11:24PM
PRO
Dytecture
Even though the peninsula seems a bit 'old school', it's more practical in this situation than a narrow island. I would get rid of all the angled cabinet pieces to create a cleaner look.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:15AM
grandmalucy12
thank you my kitchen is 11 wide by 12 in long. Husband wants to keep peninsula... I want to take out. crowds my dinning space.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:24PM
pruner
Could you advise what the adjoining rooms are (for the flow of the room), is that a walk-in pantry, what the jut-out in the dining room is, and where windows are located?

Have you considered a dining table with a different shape?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:41PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
The dishwasher should be a minimum of 21" from the corner sink to void tripping over the door when the DW door is open. Consider moving the DW next to the oven and placing a set of drawers to the left of the cooktop for tools, spices, dish towels, etc.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:53PM
PRO
Eagledzines
If you did decide to take the peninsula out, you would still have 24" on the left and more than that on the right. That would give you enough prep room but of course if you kept the peninsula you would have more. I agree with Dytecture that in this situation keeping the peninsula is more practical than an island. Another option would be to have the end of the peninsula fold down when you weren't using it.

But if you really couldn't live with that Ellen Crystal comments in the changes she suggests would be necessary except I would go with a slide in gas range, so that you would have more room to the left of the sink without the wall oven. Having the refrigerator so close to the doorway would be a little awkward as it would open into the walk area but that is the case now with the existing oven door opening into the same area.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:31AM