Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions for kitchen
tododia
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Moving into this kitchen in the spring. (Note that the hutch in the breakfast area is covering one of the windows.) Rather plain to my taste and I'm not fond of the cabinets. Counters are white avonite (corian?) except for island which is tan-ish thus making it look like a color mistake.
I am looking for a country modern feel. For a budget approach, I am considering painting the lower cabinets a dark olivey green; and the uppers a medium sage; replacing the island counter only with granite and replacing the backsplashes with glass tile in white/clear or very light green; and adding modern pulls and handles. Walls would be slightly yellow to warm it up just a bit. And paint the pantry door with chalkboard paint.
If funds allow I might replace the cabinets entirely with a Shaker style in a wood finish.
Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tododia
And I will gradually shift the appliances to stainless!
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:49PM
Peg Silverwood
There are a lot of doors and windows in the space. Perhaps changing them out to a light color and painting the trim light will be a good start of a fresh palette. Once you have done that, look at the colors of the cabinetry and flooring. It appears to be a small space so utilize furnishings that are to scale and simple in design. Making an effort for good flow.
Pendant Lighting above the island would add to the look. hardware for the cabinetry and a warm paint tone. If you had more information would be happy to give more.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 10:42PM
tododia
The kitchen/breakfast space is 16 x 17. There is a lot of light from a skylight oriented to the south. It's position may prohibit pendants or create visual clutter. The home is on 5 acres in a rural area of NM; so a look aligned with the setting, yet updated, is my aim. I'll be back in the home in a few days collecting more information. What would you like to know?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:30AM
nikitasmom
If you paint the cabinets then a butcherblock counter for the island would look good and blend in nicely with the rest of the counters. A banquette seating area would be nice too.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:27AM
PRO
Texas Lightsmith
how about a range hood that mirrors the style of the antique wood burning stove?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:19AM