Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen update!
izzyjardin
February 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought a new house and want to update the kitchen and have some questions. Here are some details and questions we have:
1. We are REMOVING the wallpaper and painting the walls
2. What color paint do you recommend for the walls?
3. We are removing the box lighting and are going to add canned lighting and 2 pendant lights above the island
4. Should we paint the cabinets white or antique white? (there is a blackish/granite tile in the kitchen and we plan on leaving it, and the floors are 18x18 tile)

**We would appreciate ANY advice and THANK you for your HELP!
p.s the furniture is not ours..so everything will completely change**
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzyjardin
More photos
February 6, 2013 at 10:00PM   
Darzy
How about an antique white on the perimeter cabinets and a charcoal gray for the island? A gray that complements the granite and the floor grout. I'd also recommend getting the smaller canned lights for the perimeter above the cabinets instead of the big 6" cans. Since you'll have pendant lighting above the island and the dinette chandy, I think the smaller cans look best.

February 6, 2013 at 10:12PM     
izzyjardin
Thank you Darzy... love the idea is the grey island :)
February 6, 2013 at 10:15PM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
good eye Darzy regarding colour... Antique white for sure as you have creamy floor. When it comes to lighting, pick drop pendants in the same family as your nearby drop fixture. If you can't find a single globe drop pendant that matches, then do ceiling pot lights. Also, include lighting under your upper cabinets. That will brighten your counter surfaces & balance light when you are standing at the work tops. A detail over your cooktop, like an nice arch would be attractive too. As well, I'd consider a two tier crown molding up to ceiling like shown in Darzy's Cape Cod kitchen. this will elevate & polish off your room. Also, less of a dust collector up there! Low maintenance is always a plus! a soft dove grey wall colour with slight blue undertone would compliment your blue undertone on your counters.. Senior Designer~Urbana Kitchens
February 6, 2013 at 11:09PM     
PRO
Impressions of Home Interiors
Hi,
Congrats on the new house! I agree about the antique white for the wall cabinets, except I wish that your appliances were either black or stainless, as I am worried about the pure white appliances with a cream cabinet..... I would do the island cabinets in a dark gray. A great one is "Roycroft Pewter" by Sherwin Williams. Then I would do the walls in Sherwin Williams "Tinsmith". These are grays that I have used in my client's homes many times and are pretty foolproof, as grays can be tricky.
Cari Vawter
February 6, 2013 at 11:50PM     
izzyjardin
Thank you Ellen and Carl!! Great ideas and tips! We will be using them :) ps Carl we do plan on switching to stainless :)
February 7, 2013 at 7:27AM   
4resas
I agree that grey walls and antique white cabinets will work great with flooring. When you have the electrical work done you might want to consider having electrical outlets added over your cabinets, so you can put lights on top of the cabinets. I have l.e.d. White christmas lights over mine. We started out with them on a timer, but now they are on 24/7. It's great at night if someone wants to get a drink.
February 7, 2013 at 7:39AM     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I wouldn't do antique white unless you are planning on changing the appliances. Either chose the same white as the fridge, leave them as is or chose a colour. Antique white with white appliances always ends up looking dingy and dirty - maybe it's just me. I would never recommend a client do this.
February 7, 2013 at 7:44AM   
izzyjardin
Mary, we plan on switching the appliances to stainless steel :)
February 7, 2013 at 2:25PM   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Perfect!
February 7, 2013 at 2:30PM     
izzyjardin
If we paint the cabinets antique white, then we should paint the shelves in the living room (kitchen opens/leads into the living room) antique white too, correct?
February 7, 2013 at 7:16PM   
PRO
Hi again,
No, I would definitely NOT paint the living room cabinets in the same color and finish as the kitchen. This is a separate room and needs its own identity. Also, that way your kitchen cabinets will appear to be truly custom, rather than a cookie-cutter special that the builder got a deal on. :) Do your kitchen first completely...decorate your family room with your furniture, and THEN decide what to do with the bookcases. Good luck!
Cari
February 8, 2013 at 12:34AM   
PRO
Amplio
What about grey instead of white and cream?
February 8, 2013 at 12:38AM   
PRO
Amplio
Inspiration
February 8, 2013 at 12:41AM   
PRO
Eagledzines
I would paint the walls a gray blue or off white along with the island and the cabinets where the stovetop is but leave the rest of the cabinets as they are. I would also change the knobs where the stovetop cabinets are and any that might be on the island to match.

Also, if you decide to keep a gas stovetop, you definitely need venting. Does it have a downdraft? If not you need to find a way to vent it to the outside or fit it with a downdraft. Gas stoves offgas carbon monoxide. That will give you lighting in that area as well. If there is a downdraft, you could fit a narrow valance over the stove and put a light behind the valance.
February 8, 2013 at 1:19AM   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Are the cabinets in your living room white/white? I think painting them the same as the kitchen cabinets depends on the antique white you chose for the kitchen. You have to be careful that the kitchen cabinets don't come off looking dingy.
February 8, 2013 at 3:37AM   
feeny
I agree with Mary Dancey. If the living room is visible from the kitchen I would paint the cabinetry either the same white or similar shades. Otherwise a bright white on one will make the antique white on the other look unattractive. But if you can't see one room from the other then it won't be an issue.
February 8, 2013 at 3:47AM