Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help make my ugly house pretty!
Rachelle Plantagenet
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My ugly house is in URGENT need on some curb appeal! We have recently put in a new front door and lights which has made a huge difference as you can see from the pic. I would like something over the front door but it is really tricky because i am restricted by the flat roof. Paving and landscaping would also help but i am desperate for ideas! Please help xx
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
California Fence Company
You can start off with the external look of the house. Add some nice fencing around your house. It will give it a neat and complete appearance, also making it safe and private. Plant some trees and do up your garden. Change the paint if it wont be too expensive for you. Your house color is a bot dull. You can start off with this. It will surely make a big difference.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 2:12AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Thank you for the suggestions! It is attached to another dwelling on the right (like a duplex) - you can see the front window to the other dwelling and there is only just enough space for a small fence. If we did have a fence then do you have any suggestion on what type? And what colour paint would you suggest as well?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 2:51AM
pie1984
I love the door! Maybe you could add a little roofed area over the window and arrange a small outdoor sitting area there like in this picture would be cute, pretty and perfect. Plant a tall tree (but not too tall that it might overwhelm) on one side of the house to frame it and give you shade :) Probably at the right side with the sitting area on the left. Add stone steps that create a pathway from the door to the sidewalk framed by lovely flower bushes on one side maybe violet flowers would look classy and go with the gray color of the house. :)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 2:56AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Outside the window is a cement slab as you can see in the pic so any fencing would have to deal with this step of different surfaces as it came down into the yard. I also want to replace the big front window with a tilt and turn (with shutters) and also replace the top front windows which are old aluminium.
I have also been toying with the idea of a pergola or something outside the big front window but unsure how to marry it up to the flat roof and tie it in with whatever goes over the door.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 2:58AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Thank you Pie! That is a really good idea. There is actually a young weeping cherry blossom just out of shot on the right in the front yard - i don't know how i missed it in the pic! I also thought a tree might be nice over on the left (behind the car) in a small garden space when we do the paving. I just have no idea what to do about the entry :(
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:05AM
pie1984
or you can put something like this on one side of the door or both to frame it if in case you change your mind you can just remove it and not have to uproot an entire tree. :) As for the roofed area by the window I'll try find images of the idea I'm picturing in my head. I'll get back to you when I find one. :)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:05AM
pie1984
you're welcome:) that's a great idea to have a tree on the left ! Your house has a lot of possibilities I wish you find the ideas you're looking for. :)
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:13AM
pie1984
I found a picture of what you can do on the entry... a pathway like this one with smaller flower bushes on just the right side would be nice. As for the roofed patio attached to the wall with the window, I was thinking something as simple as this with just 2 white columns and a gray roof like in the 2nd picture but on a much smaller scale.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:01AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Love the path & flowers! It is divine- do you think i should incorporate the path into the driveway paving or have a separate path? Although i adore your pic of the roofed patio I just can't see how it could sync up to the existing flat roof.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:19AM
maggiemae0552
shutters would definitely dress up the house. also paint the door a pretty color. The lights on either side of the front door could be changed out to something a little more modern. your exterior has a modern feel so i would dress it up accordingly. Planter boxes up against the house on the concrete would help soften the look. Just try to "wow" up the front door area. keep us posted!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:26AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Any ideas for some kind of canopy over the door which would be okay with the flat roof?

I am going to put two little swirly trees in pots on either side of the door like Pie suggested- I have two grey/black square pots-should i spray the pots stone white or a colour or leave them grey/black?

Maggiemae- Unfortunately I can't paint the door; i thought white was good? I also thought the lights were modern? Obviously I'm failing and need help *sigh* :(
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:53AM
Dar Eckert
Earthy Modern
New entry way
portfolio
Lake County Builders
Exterior

Sorry for so many photos but look I'm thinking that a cantilevered structure over the door would work for you. Here are several examples. The one with blue shutters seem like the correct size for your home but your house has a more contemporary feel so the contemporary wood one photo from san francisco may be the best match. Try to tie the color on the facia to the roof on your home so maybe add terra cotta tile to it or paint it terra cotta color.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:57AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Thank you Dar Eckert. The one with the blue shutter is good as i could take it from the front door all the way over and try to link it up to a pergola over the large window area as well- do you think that would work? I would probably like some kind of glass or equivalent roof material.

As an alternative do you think that something like this would work if the frame was in white? I don't trust myself very much when it comes to design anymore :) Thanks for your help.

0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:09AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Thank you- these are all excellent ideas.
Rinqreation- would you do the pergola with the cantilevered structure like Dar Eckert suggests or with poles? And when you say entire front of the entry so you mean over the entire front of the house- including little window on left and large window on right?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:20AM
rinqreation
Wistaria on a white pergola along the entire front of the entry.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:26AM
rinqreation
In my opinion simple poles will do, but you could choose whatever type you like. Excuse me taking down my first post, I wanted to add the picture.
And a few shrubs would look nice. I wouldn't go for fencing.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:27AM
pie1984
I think it's better to have a separate pathway and not incorporate it into the driveway to have a bit of green on either side... :) with the small flower bushes on the right side :)
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:53AM
Dar Eckert
A cantilevered pergola over the walkway and front of the house would be best but for the pergola on the side of the house make that free-standing with columns. The door that you selected would look great too. Its sophisticated and welcoming.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:40AM
Rachelle Plantagenet
Thanks Dar Eckert. I've been giving the cantilevered pergola a bit of thought and i thought it might be nice if it were suspended 1 metre out from along the front of the house (over smaller window) and then extended into the area in front of the larger window with matching cantilevers to posts (hope that makes sense).

Do you have any suggestions on what colour to paint the exterior given that the pergola will probably be white? I am also thinking i could change the colour of the fence which is currently dark brown to either black as a contrast or terrecotta to match the roof or grey to blend into the blocks of the house or just leave it as it is :)
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
REALLY need help with curb appeal... Any ideas will be appreciated!
We love our house. The location is perfect and the...
New sectional sofa...now what?
I am looking for advice for my family living space....
Best off-white/cream color for kitchen?
Our dining area is open to the kitchen but has no window....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.