Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas please ...
pezzer
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi Houzzers from the UK ... when we moved house we found a large stack of old clay flower pots, mostly around 4 to 6 inches high. They look pretty fragile and I doubt whether they are frost resistant, so I'm wondering if anyone has any creative ideas of how I could use some of them decoratively?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carole
have you got space in the hall,you could put them on the wall or on a plinth mix them with some other decorative items,like a mirror/window or in a window with shelves,maybe in the kitchen or balcony??
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:05AM
joanjean1
You can seal them so they will be ok outside in the cold weather. I am in Michigan last winter my pots broke in the cold. This past summer I sealed my pots and so far this winter they are fine. Our temp has been -4 for a few days but mostly in the single digits. Pots are still fine. Anyway. You can seal the and paint them. I will send a link.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:07AM
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 3:09AM
jill9will
Wrap in burlap with jute rope & use in your kitchen for herbs
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 4:46AM
pezzer
thanks all - some good ideas there.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Go on Pinterest. Tons of ideas for clay pots!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:06AM
trelbob
I would make a water feature with them. Where they spill into each other.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:42AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
As they are probably too fragile for long term outdoor use (unless you want to bring them in each winter) perhaps you could make a wall feature of them in an indoor corridor or wall by hanging them and threading low wattage lights (or leds) in them - I imagine 3x3 (row/columns of) pots or 3x4 pots to make a rectangle depending on your space and what wow factor you want.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:46AM
pezzer
Hi ASVInteriors - like this idea, too. We have some space in the hall where this might look good, but not sure how we would fix them to the wall. Would it be best to embed the pots in some sort of plaster or build a frame of some description to fix each pot to? I imagine this could get quite heavy to fix to the wall...
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:22AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
You would have two issues:
1. How to wire the lighting into each pot (do they have holes underneath) and 2. How to affix them to the wall without the wires showing.
AFFIX TO WALL
If you build the entire lighting system into the plaster and then embed the pots - wiring will be so much simpler and even embedding the flower pots.
FRAME SOLUTION
I have done something similar fairly recently for a client by using a lightweight wood frame, piercing holes to tie the (masks) in this case to the wood with wire (or a strong jute in your case perhaps). I then covered the entire board with burlap to hide the wires. And built a heavy frame around it.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:05AM
pezzer
Hi ASVInteriors - thanks again and the example of the mask display looks great. The pots do have a drainage hole in the bottom, so I'm thinking that maybe a Christmas light string might be suitable, so that each bulb could be pushed through the hole.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:32PM