powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do you think of my bookshelf? Any suggestions?
Salima Feerasta
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Bookshelf ideas
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
They are very neat and organized...even color coordinated but they are a bit overfilled. Browse "bookshelves" on houzz for ideas on how to create attractive displays.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:14AM
Salima Feerasta
I have another bookshelf downstairs that's more 'display' oriented - though I agree this one is too full - but most of the baskets on the bottom shelf are also full of books! Perennial problem of book lovers!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:24AM
Sharon
Maybe you could spray the baskets, for a colour lift?
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:28AM
anonyms
More bright colored stuff dividing up the books. Also, break up the volumes of books (I.e., a set of 50 books of one particular type might be broken into 2 sets interspersed by an object) more. Mostly, this needs some color thrown into the mix.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:38AM
PRO
BeyondFrames
Well, personally I love books and being surrounded by them and I'd say that it is important where you have that bookshelf in the house and which is it's purpose.
If it is a home office, library or rooms with similar purpose I think it's great.
Right now, due to the brown baskets the eye is caught by the books . If you want a more cohesive image I'd spray paint the baskets in cream color or a color already existing on the bookshelf.
I also noticed that the top most shelves are still empty. If you plan on using them for display then I'd try to break the straight line given by the books and mix the display areas with books filled areas.
If upper shelves are to be filled with books as well, then I'd definitely paint the baskets to avoid the floating illusion.

0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:48AM
designideas4me
wow what a pretty room... is it circular?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:50AM
Salima Feerasta
Thanks so much for all the comments everyone. Its not a circular room - this is at one end of a very large family room leading onto a terrace. I have a desk and computer opposite it so it does break this part of the room into a "study" bit. I love the idea of adding more colour so will be looking for the some interesting pieces. Am planning to use the top shelves mainly for display but haven't found quite the right things. Thanks again everyone
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:28PM
Salima Feerasta
I might also add off white cloth linings to the baskets...
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:29PM
PRO
Rethink Renovations
Can you paint a lighter color on the back wall of each shelf to brighten it up and show off the casework? Then your books & decor would be more of a show piece?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:32PM
PRO
Perspectivehd Design Services
3d walkthrough ,interior designs,visualization works:
contact us for work
gaurav@perspectivehd.com

Below are the services we provide:
3D Architectural Visualization
3D Walk through and Fly through
3D Illustrations
3D Advertisement
3D Medical Animation
3D Product Design
3d architectural rendering
3D Logo Design
Conceptual Design Visualization
360 Degree Panorama Creation
3D Interior and Exteriors
2D Floor Plans
Corporate Presentations
VFX

click this youtube link for see

contact us for requirement
gaurav@perspectivehd.com
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:00PM
onthefence
I do love books and bookshelves. However, I'll be honest - it looks a bit contrived to me.

I'd rather see the books organized in a more random manner and look more like a small personal library. Organize the books by subject matter and have fewer books on each shelf. I do like the look of having some books vertical and some horizontal on the same shelf.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:49PM
PRO
Eagledzines
It seems to be organized by color. I think that's a bit unnatural. I would pay more attention to the visual structure of the contents and as for color I would use decorative pieces that pull accent colors from the room. I think if you did that you could leave the baskets brown.

Here is an article from "Real Simple' magazine that gives some really nice pointers. There are 25 short pages/pictures to browse through also. http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/great-bookcase-ideas-00000000013601/index.html
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:14PM
Diamondflame
As a book lover myself I'm loathed to part with them but I had to edit out a significant part of my book collection, keeping some in out-of-view storage. Grouping all the baskets together in the bottom level may create a more uniform look but it clashes with the more random approach you took with the rest of the display. The trick is to mix and match display pieces and books all over. Try bringing some baskets up a level or 2 and a book section down to the bottom. Do the same with display items. Keep your favorite books within reach but the rest will do fine even in the harder-to-reach top shelves.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 11:20PM
Salima Feerasta
This is far view
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:50PM
Salima Feerasta
This is the other half of the room
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:52PM
Salima Feerasta
Thanks for the comments everyone. I tried lots of random looks but they all looked messy to me with so many books and didn't suit the rest of my style. An definitely going to edit my collection and try moving the baskets around but the colour coordination is something I love
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:55PM
Salima Feerasta
The room still needs a rug and more colour in general though
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:55PM