Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
huge wall color and design
benjo113
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
don't know what to do with my wall... don't like the paint color.... please help..the other side us our fireplace wall....this will be the third time i will change it... not happy with it ..... help!! thank you much....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
I think the fireplace wall looks ok. Only suggestion there would be to work with paint colors that contain less yellow. Choose colors from the tapestry hanging above the fireplace -- different values of the same shade will help you create depth and interest on the trim.

The fireplace cannot live up to its full potential because it is competing with the huge plant. The voluminous space, the dramatic fireplace, and the open second story are your architectural elements. Let the architecture do its job.

On the other wall, by hanging that tapestry as high as it is, you're featuring the two vents that flank it. I say lower it a bit, and paint the vents the same color as the wall. The end of the tapestry fringe (on the bottom) can line up with the very top of the console table.

This room, provided it is lit well and correctly, would do well with dark, dramatic colors on the wall. I like the idea of using the tapestries' colors as your guide.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 7:47AM
AMN
Start paging through some inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/two_story-
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:03AM
benjo113
thank you very much for the wonderful suggestions... if I move down the tapestry a little bit ... I will also have to move the wall sconce down ? Sorry, don't know what to do with that... thanks
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:40AM
PRO
G3 Studios Decorative Painting
Have you thought of glazing the walls? I like the color but a glaze could add a rich caramel effect that would give it a lot of depth and subdue the gold quality. It would also make it feel a little smaller. AMN is spot on about lowering tapestry and painting vents. Nothing too heavy but with a chunky flair for glaze.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 8:56AM
PRO
Mogulinterior
Hello you can add tapestry in your wall decor.. Here you can see beautiful Indian sari tapestries www.mogulinterior.com/wall-hangings-tapestries.html
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:23AM
benjo113
thanks for all your wonderful suggestions
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 11:19AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would change the wall color to the same color as the vents. Then the vents will not be as apparent and your furnishings such as the tapestry will be the main players on the stage. A lot of the rooms in decorator mags are white or other neutral colors. Your vase, plants, candlesticks and everything will become the real stars.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 11:27AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
For clients in your situation I have suggested for tall walls that you remove everything and it and hang a l collection objects that are large: Large brass trays; large hats; plates, even small shelves with a collection of large chinese ginger jars working their way down the wall.
The key is in the spacing and the balance - they must be quite large and quite space to have an effect.
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 12:04PM
benjo113
thank you so much.....I should have known houzz prior to decorating my own....
I really do appreciate all your suggestions/recommendations....
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 3:03PM