Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
paint color help needed
toletray
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please help me choose a paint color for the living room and breakfast kitchen area. Don't like the present color. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handymam
What is it you don't like about this color? Too dark, light, boring? I think your home is beautiful as it is by the way. If it were me, I would like a goldish tone like in the curtains you have. You could use as is, or shades lighter of the same color. I think the pops of red you have would look nice with it. I think it would look nice with your cabinets too because they are all warm colors.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 8:03AM
toletray
Seems a little dark at times. Maybe too goldish. What do you think of accenting the fireplace wall in a blue color. If so, where would you paint? Just the t area or the entire fireplace wall....Thanks for you compliment of liking the room. I also have gray corian countertops in kitchen. Guess the gray is supposed to be neutral. Kitchen seems dark at times. Thanks so much for help.l
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:23AM
decoenthusiaste
Here's a Sherwin Williams palette to work with your rug:
SW 7669 Summit Gray, SW 7505 Manor House, SW 2839 Roycroft Copper Red, SW 6579 Gala Pink,
SW6803 Danube, SW 7542 Naturel
The gray, naturel or manor would work with both rooms. The naturel seems to have a cooler base than your current warm tone paint does. That may be the reason you are not happy with it. The other two are very dark grayish shades and the pink and danube match the pink and blue on the paisleys in your rug, so would be for accent. The red matches the dark red flowers.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:23AM
pitbulls
I was thinking a light gray
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:35AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree that your paint colour needs to be lightened up. But it's hard to choose colours over the computer. Look for a lighter colour in your fabrics (as suggested above)
For your fireplace wall area I've attached a photo that might inspire you to change your current look.

Good luck!
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:59AM
toletray
Thank you decoenthusiaste for your help with the color palette.... Where would I used the darker grays? Could I accent the fireplace wall, and if so, would I accent just the t area, or the entire wall area and if so what color would work there? Thank you for your help.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:01AM
toletray
Thank you Welcome Home Designs. I do love that fireplace wall area that you posted. I really don't like that mirror that I have up there. It is antique, and I am wondering what it would look like if I painted it, or should I just replace it completely....I guess I always feel like that I should have something tall since that wall area is tall there. Thank you.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 11:09AM
decoenthusiaste
You could use the darker gray on the FP wall and the lighter one inside the two niches. If you're daring you could paint the niches with the Gala Pink. As the younger generation says, "That would be hawt!" That means hot. Have you considered having the niches built in? If so, then the backs of the built-ins could be painted one of the accent colors. Danube would be the more soothing of the two. If those grays are too dark for you look at lighter ones on the same color strip.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:01PM
toletray
decoenthusiaste, thank you for answering my question. I would love those built- ins. Have to convince hubby for those! ha..I have considered painting the lovely(not so) entertainment center thing and the old secretary a Anne Sloan chalk paint color called Old White to lighten up the area a bit...I do like the idea of the darker gray on the wall and the lighter on the inside...not so sure about the gala pink. I just came back from SW with the paint swatches. Gosh, I love that red color that you suggested. The blue is also very nice, and I really like the naturel for the wall colors for the remainder of living room and kitchen area. Wonder what that blue would like like on the fireplace wall. Might be too much. Thanks so much for your inspiration.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 1:18PM
carbary
Creamy yellow??
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 6:32PM
toletray
I do love the yellow Carbary. I am wondering what a light cream color would look like. This might be just a little strong for my taste, however I have had a color similar to this once before.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:53AM
carbary
I think Benjamin Moore Mannequin cream would look nice a bit lighter
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 9:51AM
decoenthusiaste
I think you could use the Naturel everywhere and the make your focal wall with the Danube. Do you like the way they look together? I think you want something striking and that is a good bet for it. The red could have the same effect - just one is warm and the other cool. Paint everything else, and then do color board samples for the focal wall to help you decide.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:39AM
toletray
Thank you so much decoenthusiaste. I really do like the idea of having the focal wall in the Danube. Love that shade of blue. I do like color! That red is very pretty as well... Will have fun doing some color boards this weekend. I really appreciate your help.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:25PM
Keitha
You really do have a lovely room as others have said... Thinking you are just ready for a change. Painting is a great fix but you might think of toning down the accessories a little. I would start by removing some of the florals you have going on... It gets a little busy.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:42PM
toletray
Thank you Keitha for your help. Those florals are kind of hanging around from Christmas. The florals in the vases on the mantel on the fireplace are actually some that I dried from last year that I collected from my yard. I agree that the roses on the coffee table need to go. Kind of hanging out there...I do appreciate your help. Sometimes it takes another person to look at our rooms and tell us what we need to change. Thanks so much.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:45PM
Keitha
I know what you mean!. One of these days I will post my bedroom for suggestions. I need some fresh eyes and just can't get my own creative juices going to decorate it. I've just recently discovered houzz and really enjoy sharing ideas with everyone.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:13PM
Denise Hollas
I would keep it like it is.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:42AM
jakelee8
You could do the blue from the pillows or the red pillows color it would really bring out pretty tones of the counter and furniture
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 8:55AM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Make sure you post the "after" photos!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:00AM
toletray
For those of you who have been so kind as to help me with my paint color in the living room, here are a couple pictures of colors of blue that I am considering. Which one of these would work, if any for the fireplace accent wall? Appreciate all of your help.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:14AM
ktiquet
I really like the one on the far right it's a happy blue
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:25AM
toletray
The one sitting on the mantel to the right or the one taped by the side of the fireplace? Some of these seem to look so dark in the evening and at night. That happens to be the one that my husband likes, if it is the one on the mantel to the right.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:33AM
tuckerpearl
Lovely room to work with. I'd suggest an accent wall in a red that matches the drapes.(probably the wall the drapes are on). Then I'd paint the other gold walls a lite beige---maybe the background color of the drapes. Leave the wood work & fireplace white. The mirror, as is, is a good focal point. Its height balances the shelving unit on one side & the door opening on the other. A pr. of pretty candlestick lamps could be used on the fireplace for added light. Under counter light strips would help lighten things up in the kitchen area.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:56AM
Keitha
My vote is the darker blue in your second photo. Stay away from baby blue.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 7:32PM
newoldchick
My thoughts, I would remove everything from the mantle except
For the vases and remove those flowers, too tall and too many colors, add something like branches . The two nooks on the side of the fireplace should become custom builded book shelves for all your treasures.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:16PM
toletray
Thanks so much for all your help. I have narrowed the blues down to these two for the fireplace accent wall, and the Naturele by SW for the remainder of the walls..Good? or Bad? The blue on the left appears a little lighter in the picture than in person..... Should I just disregard having the accent wall and just do the entire room in the Naturele and use the blues as accents in accessories...I would love built ins. Thinking of painting the shelving and the secretary in there now a white color. Maybe this would lighten things up a bit as well. Thanks for all your help.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:44AM
Keitha
If you want to use blue I vote for sticking to it in accents.... I think it's something you could tire of quickly.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:33PM
mdamron61
A blue color on the walls would make everything else pop out!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:03PM
kathy
You obviously really want blue on the fireplace wall. But if yo're afraid to go all out blue, what about:
1. Painting just the inside of the niches the blue you like. Especially if you get the built-in cabinets you want, so back of shelves would one of those rich blues
or
2. Paint the whole fire place wall (maybe only the T as you mentioned before?) in blue but lighter, from the same strip.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:19PM
toletray
Does anyone think that Halycon Green would work as the accent wall. Does it have too much green for the room? I am looking at the lighter shade of the paisley design and wonder if it would work or not. Appreciate everyone's help.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 5:15AM