Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How much Costs to put a support beam after Removing a 14 foot wall
marybraue
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to create an open concept. It requires removing the wall. I have the demo Resources. Does anyone know the cost of putting beam it's a clean area with no wires. The area is between my living room and family room. I live in the New Jersey area south jersey
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Costs vary so greatly between areas of the country, it would be hard to provide a meaningful number. For some good local information, it would be best to call in a couple of local remodelers and ask for estimates.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 8:11AM
Marilyn Wilkie
I agree. Call them and they will most likely offer free estimates.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
We rarely see walls in homes with no wires. What makes you believe that there is nothing in the wall to prevent its demolition? How have you determined whether or not it is load bearing? A local contractor can help you answer some of these questions...but only investigative demolition will give concrete answers.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:21AM
marybraue
A. I contacted did say I needed a beam but didn't give me the cost he said he had to write things out I'm trying to plan a budget and I want to know about how much it might cost but he would not give me the information that's why I'm asking
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
nFORMAL design
@Ironwood...she already wants to get a beam in there, so I think she figures it might be structural. However, I agree with the comment about a contractor/builder.

Regardless, it almost certainly can be done. Cost...anyone's guess. Least expensive route will probably be a engineered wood beam, but it still isn't cheap.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:27AM
marybraue
I'm thinking $ 2, 500 does that sound close does sound expensive. I'm looking to make an open concept we don't use the living room. I would like the room to look nice to look nice I want to open concept From the family room to the living room. We don't Use the living room. Our family room is small. I have a contractor but I'm looking for and designer. I like light colors I would like the rooms to look airy fresh. I would like to do this work within the next year I would like to do the floors laminate With a nice flow I'm putting together my budget I'm hope I will have about 20,000 for the project. That's why the cost of the beams is important. Thanks to everybody for all your comments everyone's house and ideas look so beautiful. I'm older about to retire this is my last house and I would just like it to be nice raised seven kids and now it's like to do something nice for myself.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:05AM
PRO
nFORMAL design
The beam isn't going to be that expensive...the install and temporary wall will be more than just buying the beam. As someone noted, different contractors in different parts of the country will charge more or less. For the beam part, I'd ask a contractor.

For the rest of the design, it sounds like $20K will get you there if you have demo taken care of and all you are doing is floors and paint, etc. Post some pictures of the rooms and the layout. I'm sure there are tons of people on here who would give you some suggestions on how to design your space.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:10AM
laurbeck75
We are in northern Jersey and had a load bearing wall taken down last year between kitchen and center hall. Second floor above and basement below. There were wires, electrical and heat to be moved. Approx 10K, alot but worth every penny.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 10:20AM
PRO
JMH Designs
I am in the South Jersey area and would love to help you with your project. I have helped many clients reconfigure their existing home floor plans to create an open floor plan involving the installation of beams. I agree with other comments that it is not possible to give you a figure without having a structural engineer, contractor or builder look at your home. If you would like me to help you with the designing of the space and selecting the finished materials please give me a call. I have done work from various shore points to PA.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 10:27AM
marybraue
Laurabeck75 I am in the plan the money stage do you have a web page
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
laurbeck75
I am sorry I don't. Do know all was included to the primer. Hubby did the rest of painting. We also had a new kitchen wood floor installed but that was on top of the 10K. Our wall removal was quite extensive due to load bearing and three floors. Think a steel beam went in. Per JMH above, also included an architectural drawing per our town's code (about 1K but know that can vary alot) Advice you check with a firm such as above. Southern Jersey could be more reasonable! Good luck
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:11PM
ktiquet
Try calling a company named brother on call found them on the diy home page they will come out look and write a detailed bid right down to what you could do yourself to save some money good luck
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:34PM
Jayme H.
It will cost more than $2,500 I guarantee it...You may be able to save some by doing some work yourself..but that could get tricky....did this once...put two up that tied into each other and were holding up the second story.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:47PM
PRO
Linda
A 14 foot long wall without even an outlet on either side? How old is this house???

14 feet is a long span. I suggest getting prices for removing the entire wall and also for removing a shorter section. Depending on your layout, you may be able to get a more open feel without removing the entire wall
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 5:37PM
laurbeck75
Agree with Linda. Our open span with beam is just about 14 feet now. However, the wall itself that was taken down to open up the kitchen fully to the center hall was about half that. If you have a second floor you want to make sure that a civil engineer signs off on the job, another expense of course. but so worth it for us. Our kitchen grew from 14 x 14 to 18 x 14--a world of difference when company is here.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:07AM
PRO
Lindner Family Construction
$2500, would be on the low side for load bearing wall/ beam install, there are a couple variables beam size and dimensions, the span is key, your structural engineer will calculate.The beam size and options for the beam, lvl, glulam ect.. I am putting up a 19' ft 9-1/2" 2ply lvl beam with a collum for $4500.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 10:01PM
PRO
Keep in mind we're in Texas, not NJ, so material cost and labor cost will be different.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 10:05PM
m1rrs
12 foot opening $150 demolition, $500 engineering , $150 drafting, $65.00 permit $375 labor to frame, $100 for 3 2x8 YP boards, Floor repair $200 ,,, that's what I paid total $1540
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 2:07PM
m1rrs
correction 2x12 YP boards
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 2:08PM
PRO
Low end, depends on the load.... you might need a larger beam... I put in a 19' beam to replace a 10' load bearing wall & a smaller 8' 2 ply 2x12 yp load bearing beam & replaced it with a 2 ply 9-1/2" lvl to carry a 40 # dead load, for $3,500.00 that include drywall- tape, float, texture & paint. Price is location driven. What cost x here, might cost more or less there.
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 2:46PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
What I'm hearing is: budget $4,500 for the beam...but some of that may include the drywall and paint. The next thing I'm hearing = speak with an architect as soon as possible.
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 4:48PM
Verve
Budget $25,000 and tell the bidders that is your budget. Even if it is less they will manage to reach this amount.
0 Likes   June 6, 2014 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
Kitchen
My granite extends past my cabinets. Where do I stop...
Lynn Mastromarino
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
paawani
Historic 1930 Spanish home I just bought....paint colors & windows?
I just purchased a Spanish style home in an historic...
arkiegrandma
Need master bedroom furniture help!!
Hi there- we just upgraded to a king size mattress/...
brockwem
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.