Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fireplace remodel
cden
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Want to remove all wood trim and mantle and place stone from floor to ceiling. Need ideas for a more contemporary look. Still want a mantle, but much more simple.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
demobd
We couldn't find a stone to give us the contemporary look we were after so we covered our used brick fireplace with a gorgeous metallic tile and put in a gas fireplace with a stainless surround and best of all a stainless mantle. We love it and it wasn't too expensive!
February 7, 2013 at 9:27AM     
cden
Wow! Great idea that looks terrific.
February 7, 2013 at 10:35AM   
Saurabh Chowdhary
Wow! this is a great idea. Can you share some details I am hoping to do something similar looking at cost and options..
June 3, 2014 at 8:42AM   
demobd
Happy to share details. What do you want to know? We covered over the brick with large 18" tile. We covered the existing wood mantle with a sleeve of stainless steel. The local metal fabricating company came out and measured it and created the sleeve and then came and installed it over the old mantle. We put a 2X4 on top of the old mantel to make it wider. We painted underneath the mantle with a dull black paint as the stainless sleeve only wrapped about 2" underneath. The wall on the side is angled so the mantel was also done at an angel. They did an awesome job and the whole stainless sleeve only cost $250 installed!!!! We covered the hearth with the same tile as the wall and used a shluter (sp) piece to edge it with. We had a custom made cabinet made out of wood to help center the fireplace on the wall as it was assymetrical before. The cabinet has doors that open with invisible openings to store the tv equipment. We had the tv wired in before installing the tile over the brick. The tile was a bit expensive but still cheaper than the stone would've been and also allowed us to have a cleaner edge. It was an existing wood burning fireplace that we replaced with a gas one. That was the most expensive part. Thanks for liking it :-).
June 3, 2014 at 9:16AM   
demobd
I could see your whole wall floor to ceiling in one tile. One option we had considered was doing the hearth in stainless as well as the mantle. I had seen that done once before. We decided against it because figured it would scratch and be hard to keep clean. It might look very cool in your setting though along with a simple stainless mantle. Are you going to put a tv above the fireplace? A cool picture or art piece that incorporates stainless in it would be awesome I think! I can get the name of the tile we chose if you want but it had grayish tones with a metallic cast to it. There was also a bronzer version and the tile came in several different sizes and tones. Some were more metallic than others.
June 3, 2014 at 9:33AM   
Saurabh Chowdhary
Thanks a bunch!! I am really liking this option. very impressive.. Can you share the details of the local company who helped with the stainless fabrication .. yes name of the tile will help if there is a link to it it will help .. How was the fireplace bracket ? did you replace it? and where was it from ?
June 3, 2014 at 11:53AM   
demobd
The company that did the stainless mantel was Andgar Corporation in Ferndale, Washington (360)366-9900.
June 3, 2014 at 12:25PM   
demobd
I will have to look up the tile for you. What fireplace bracket are you referring to? If you are referring to the fireplace itself it is an Avalon fireplace with stainless surround and I purchased it at Barron Heating in Ferndale Washington (360)676-1131. I can get you the exact model number if you want. It is awesome, we chose rocks in it instead of gas logs (you can have either) but we think the rocks look more real and very contemporary. It also puts out a lot of heat if you want and is very efficient.
June 3, 2014 at 12:30PM     
Saurabh Chowdhary
thanks. I already have gas fireplace with rock so it will be just the exteriors.
June 4, 2014 at 9:17AM