powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cottage-y elevation design help, please!
ispeakwhale
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
hello, I am wanting to turn this house into a cottage style house. I'm not sure what I can do to the front to help its curb-appeal. At this time, no changes can be made to the actual windows or changes to the elevation, but I can add to it. However, I am open to altering the elevation in the future.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm open to hearing any and all suggestions, especially what can be done aesthetically for now, including landscaping, and trim colors. I'd also like to hear what can be done in the future, architecturally, I'm looking to create that warm, inviting cottage feel I'm going for.

Right now the house is sad, sad, sad. :( But I think I can cheer her up! Help! What do you say?

Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ispeakwhale
Hello, does anyone recall another home on here where someone else was asking for curb appeal advice? I would love to find suggestions. Thanks very much.
February 7, 2013 at 11:48am   
joannpb
It looks like that room next to the door was once a garage. Could you add a shallow porch across that end, by extending the roofline down? If not, How about a raised planter under that window, filled with something to balance the shrubbery on the other side. Also, I think that shrubbery needs to be lowered, so that you have a good line of sight on all four window sills. Just that and the planter might do it.
February 7, 2013 at 11:59am     
cypress
Hi, I think if you added shutters to your windows,paint your front door a color you love, place a long planter box under the window on the left and fill with colorful blooms, widen your flower beds at the lawn area and plant a cottage type garden. You could add a white picket type fence around the front lawn.
February 7, 2013 at 12:10pm     
ispeakwhale
Thanks for your input! The house hasn't been altered. (btw, we don't live here as of yet)

shrubbery hacking - check
planters - check

I'm looking for a lot more to really make this a cottage like home. But, I'm not sure on the style, and what elements of a cottage style would work for this house.
February 7, 2013 at 12:15pm   
wmpj
I think a cottage home has a lot to do with landscaping. You could add a white picket fence in the front yard and then plant many plants such as hydrangeas, roses, etc...If you look on Houzz and type "cottage landscaping" in the search box, you may get ideas.
February 7, 2013 at 12:19pm     
ispeakwhale
Thanks cypress. What do you mean by widen the flower beds at the lawn? Do you mean extend the shrubs along the front of the garage? I was considering extending a flower bed and small shrubs to the right of the house, and around the corner within an organic outline. Like that?

What about trim/garage door/front foor/shutter color?

I was thinking:

Red door
dark taupe or brown functional wood shutters
medium shade taupish gray brown (fawn?) garage and trim.

Would this be too heavy for the salmon and ivory colored brick?

What about adding a short pergola above the garage that would extend to the edge of the window tucked there in the corner?

We will put seating to the left of the drive, so I want reaaaallly inviting! :) What type of seating do you all suggest? Red painted iron benches, or Adirondac chairs, or a swing?

Thanks a bunch!
February 7, 2013 at 12:25pm   
ispeakwhale
hydrangeas and roses - check! My favorite. :)

a picket fence wouldn't work for this neighborhood, though.
February 7, 2013 at 12:26pm   
cypress
I was thinking of widening the flower beds in front of the existing shrubs, then rounding around by the driveway to the street. I think the pergola idea would look good, but also over the top of the left window. I like the red front door and the adirondac chairs for seating.
February 7, 2013 at 12:41pm     
ispeakwhale
I'm not finding too much by googling the site, but I am following ourfarmhouse. :) Buthis farmhouse is not a cottage. lol.
February 7, 2013 at 12:42pm   
ispeakwhale
cypress, so are you saying put a pergola over the garage, and another one over the left window? Can I do both shutters and the pergola type awning. Or, are you thinking of an extended pergola over that window so that seating can go under? I can't do that as that whole area is part of the swing side garage. But there is room still for a couple of chairs and a small table more to the left of that window. I should clarify that I was thinking more of the pergola window awning look. But can one do that and shutters?
February 7, 2013 at 12:47pm   
cypress
If there's no room for a pergola over that window, I would still have the shutters on the window, then do your chairs & small table to the left. Have the pergola awning over the garage, it might look better that way then with 2 pergolas.
February 7, 2013 at 12:55pm     
cypress
Hi ispeakwhale, FYI , I found some pictures here on Houzz, I entered "stone cottage exterior"
February 7, 2013 at 1:03pm   
ispeakwhale
ok, thanks.
February 7, 2013 at 1:03pm   
ispeakwhale
I was thinking something like this, but not sure on the colors.

[houzz=
]
February 7, 2013 at 2:18pm     
ispeakwhale
The pergola awning like above but over the garage?
February 7, 2013 at 2:19pm   
cypress
Perfect! I also like those light fixtures.
February 7, 2013 at 2:30pm     
ispeakwhale
Me too!
February 7, 2013 at 2:35pm   
ispeakwhale
Does anyone else have suggestions on shutter/door/garage color, and an opinion about the pergola style awning over the garage?
February 7, 2013 at 4:30pm