Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
hubbys future mancave
dawnie1856
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Its a fairly large space down there and we do a lot of entertaining in the basement. I would like to hear some ideas on what to do with this space. I was kinda thinking a pub type style man cave for the hubby. eventually we would like to get a pool table somewhere down there since there is more than enough room. We are on a limited budget. The walls are insulated behind the 70's style paneling.. You really cant tell in the pictures but there is also a pantry on the north side of the wall in the weight room. On the opposite side of the room(left of the stairs, we currently have a guest bedroom and a storage room) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What is Hubby's hobby or favorite theme? If you search the box above under Photos for man cave, you will find everything he could dream of. Just a matter of what you can incorporate into your space and what you can afford. I'd start with an overall plan and accomplish it in segments, so you can get it started and then save up for some of the more expensive options and "man toys!"
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:38PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would start with a theme for the room. This will help guide you with colors and finishes.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 7, 2013 at 2:03PM
Adeline George
Paint panelling get big screen tv
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 7, 2013 at 2:16PM
stachowiak
We have some amazing real stone panels some in onyx that can be back lit for a very dramatic effect.
www.designerstonepanels.net
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:11AM
PRO
Living Space Landscapes
Future man cave??? It's turn-key ready. Just add a good movie and a bowl of popcorn. I often "retreat" to my nicely seasoned basement with 70's paneling at the end of a long day. It's so outdated, my friends insist I don't change it.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:48AM
maureenroth
Wow, you're nice. I just built mine a closet in the laundry room for his records. No way he was getting a whole cave!
1 Like   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 8, 2013 at 10:02AM
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I agree paint the paneling and get a big flat screen...
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 8, 2013 at 4:03PM
laurielynne
I'm not a big fan of themed rooms, preferring instead something that appeals to the family (a family cave vs man cave) . That said, even though I'm usually not a fan of dark spaces, I think the room looks pretty good as it is. Maybe some new furniture in brighter colours/textures (for more contrast) would be enough to spiff it up. A sectional couch and a more substantial coffee table, some big artwork and perhaps a bold area rug to define space would help as well. Also check out some of the basements Candice Olson has done - some really beautiful spaces and great ideas.
2 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 9, 2013 at 5:21AM
katherineevers
Yes to paint and flat screen. Also, replace fluorescent lights with can lights and possibly wall sconces. Is the grid on the drop ceiling black? If so, paint white so there is less eye-catching contrast. If you're thinking "pub" theme, replace couches with leather and collect well worn furniture and decorative items. You could possibly even replace the carpet with a diy laminate that looks like old wood.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 9, 2013 at 1:43PM
sands213
It would be fun to put a tin ceiling in and it would go with the pub feel. i suggest this but I don't have any idea of the cost but I think it would look great!
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 10, 2013 at 7:03PM
PRO
Trouble Free Electric
Replace those saggy insulation ceiling tiles with either a tin style or at least a standard ceiling tile, lose the 2x4 lay-in fixtures, install can lights and dimmer switches. If your budget allows, accent the key features of the remodel with LED strip lights.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 10, 2013 at 10:57PM
nsalta
Search on houzz photos for basement remodels. There are photos of exposed ceilings that looked amazing. By removing the ceiling tiles you would gain head space and it goes a bit industrial which would give it a great feel and modernize the room.
2 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 11, 2013 at 5:59AM
PRO
McClure Tables
You cannot have a man cave without a game room! A custom shuffleboard would be the perfect fit for your hubby.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    September 10, 2013 at 8:18AM
PRO
BathGems
I second the exposed ceiling idea. It will open up the room and make it feel larger and not as cramped. May take some work but it would be well worth it.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    September 10, 2013 at 8:33AM
decoenthusiaste
First, tackle the drop ceiling - they're not your granny's drops anymore! That will include new lighting. Love the barn doors and would "theme" around them - lots of guys want to act like barnyard animals during the game anyway! lol - Flooring/carpet looks like a keeper.Paneling can be painted but lots of work - TSP, rinse, let dry, lightly sand, tack off sanding dust, prime with 2 coats KILZ or other primer, then two coats of color. Main change is to install a wall mounted flat screen. Where are you thinking?
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 8:34AM
PRO
Triangle Billiards, Inc
Games and Fun go hand in hand. Check out Triangle Billiards for great game room ideas http://www.tribilliards.com/
0 Likes   February 7, 2014 at 10:44AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
If pub-style is what you want, then go for it. You entertain down there, so this theme would work very well. You can go "American" road side bar or English pub with the dark floors, dark wood trim and wooden walls painted white. It is a great look that has alwasy been around in some form or another.
0 Likes   Thanked by dawnie1856    February 7, 2014 at 11:26AM