Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Adding Recessed lighting in my family room
fishburn7
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am adding some recessed lights in my family room because there is 0 lighting in there and the window leads to our 3-season room so no additional light is coming in there.

How should I space them in this room with the TV and fireplace right in the middle. The room is 14'9" x 11'6". I have read all of the general rules about recessed can lights, but I am worried about awkward glare on the tv. I was thinking two 4" cans near the fireplace to accent it with three 6" cans on the opposite side of the room where the couch sits, with one more 6" near the entrance of the room
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Either do all 4" or 6" cans don't mix them in the room.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 1:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitasei
I just struggled with recessed lighting in a remodeling/renovation I'm doing. Here are things I wish I'd known BEFORE I started: There is a huge range in prices. I spent about $200/light on LED WAC lights which are apparently top quality. I assumed they were the cheapest because I got them at a lighting supply store -- not aware that you can get recessed lights for $30 apiece at a Home Depot , and maybe I wouldn't notice the difference. The ones I got are very small and tilt so they can be trained on the area I want to illuminate. In my case, it was a wall of bookcases, which required testing the distance from the wall and the spacing between the lights to get an even "wash" of light down the full height of the wall and without a scalloped effect across the length of it. I won't really know until the bookcases are built if I accomplished this. II put a row of them single file down a hallway, but will now have to choose which of the walls I want to illuminate (If I alternative the tilting it will be a very jarring effect. If I train them down, it will highlight the floor.) The other thing I learned is that it can be very expensive to install recessed lights in an existing ceiling. You probably save a LOT on the expensive labor of electricians if you first remove the ceiling and re-sheetrock it. Finally, put them all on a dimmer!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 4:33PM