Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for dining room
Anni
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for input on chandelier - should it stay or go? Ideas for valance for sliding patio doors (new roman shades); do you think the server would look nice along wall under painting? The other piece of furniture in room is small corner hutch. Walls are "butter" yellow (new paint) and floors are new oak hardwood (5" wide) - thanks for any help :-)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbshel
I think it should go - looks very 80's or country. Can't really tell from your pics what to replace it with, but I'm thinking iron and simple crystals.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 5:09PM
Judy M
Chandelier should go. From the photos, it's hard to tell if server is the right size for that wall.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:22PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I don't like the chandelier it's just not my style but that doesn't mean it has to go. Do you like it? If you do than keep it the size is appropriate for the space.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:31PM
Anni
The server is 64.5 w x 18 d x 36 h. The dining room is 10.5' x 13.5', the longer wall where the server would be placed - do you like the color of the server? Thinking maybe a painted piece would be nice with all the oak.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:36PM
Anni
I've had the chandelier for about 12 years and it was selected when the dining room had formal drapes and valances (pink) and walls were painted pink too. With the new floor, paint, and new patio doors and shades, I still like the chandelier but think I WOULD LOVE something else...but I want to do it right and not second guess. I was thinking iron like abbshel said.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:42PM
Judy M
The server is very nice but is there room to walk between the server and the table and chairs? You need to take the depth of the server and the size of the table into consideration. will a person be able to push their chair back to get in and out from table without hitting server? Just check those issues first.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:42PM
Lkristine
I think the chandelier should honestly go. Sounds like your room has come along ways from the pink it was!!!!! Here are a couple of links/photos, that I think would look really nice with the direction you have taken your room. The chandelier just kind of depends on taste. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-5-light-Antique-Bronze-Crystal-Drops-Chandelier/5152196/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-4-light-Antique-Copper-Chandelier/4127717/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chicology-Nevada-Timberwolf-Roman-Shade-36-in.-x-72-in./6145996/product.html
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:56PM
Lkristine
Here is the other chandelier photo that didn't upload for some reason! Sorry.
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 5:58PM
Anni
Thank you Judy. There is about 3 feet total available when chair is pushed all the way in. When chair is out, and the depth of server, it will be close. I'm not the best at decorating and appreciate your kindness in helping. Do you have other suggestions?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:58PM
Judy M
Check the measurements if you put it on a short wall. Maybe that's a better fit?
The corner hutch is not visible in the photos so that has to be considered.

Sometimes taking a piece of furniture from another room that is similar in size and placing it on the wall gives you the answer.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:03PM
Anni
Here's a picture of the corner hutch. No other wall options; opening to foyer to left of hutch, other opening to kitchen (where blue paint tape is to right of hutch), other wall is sliding patio door.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:13PM
Judy M
Yes, I see the problem with using another wall. Perhaps someone else will chime in about the amount of clearance you have for the server. A "tight" room can feel too cluttered, like you've outgrown the space.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:18PM
Anni
Thanks Judy - sorry my hutch is on its side lol...I'm new to this. You have been so nice - thank you
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:20PM
Judy M
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:47PM
lparides
Go
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:49PM
lparides
Love the side broad go with light that has a country fair.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:51PM
decoenthusiaste
New chandy - yes! No room for the server though. You need 2' of space on every side of the table just for the chair scoot and sit space. Then if you need to walk around the table with diners sitting you need another 18" to 24". I don't think you have it.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:53PM
Anni
@Decoenthusiaste -For how much I like the server, no walking room with diners sitting - thank you. Any ideas for that wall?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:02PM
Judy M
Your room has been on my mind. I was trying to find an item online but I have not been able to find one, but I am attaching a photo of the dining room in my beach rental. I wanted to show you the large wall shelf. Something like it on the big wall in your room, might give the room something of interest, with your new chandelier. It gives you the opportunity to add colorful platters and accesories without taking up valuable floor space. If you could find a baker's rack type shelf ( you know just the top half of a baker's rack, that would be a similar option.

Is there a carpet in the room? Some of your photos are blurry and I dont really know what you have in the rest of your house to be sure this room blends smoothly BUT here s what I would do if I had your room.

I would change the chandelier with the metal part of the light being black. I would paint all the wood paneling and all the wood trim in the room a soft white. I would change the top portion of the wall to a different ( again hard to say what color as I dont know the rest of the house) but a nice neutral that I have used many times is Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige ( at 1/2 the formula). I find the color at full formula too dark for my house, but you might get more light than I do.

It is hard to make suggestions about your table and chairs as they don;t show much in the photos, but I think the above changes would be a good start.

Again, so hard to advise without being there, but the above is a fairly neutral suggestion but I think would brighten the room up and make it seem more up to date.

the bottom of the new chandelier should hang 30 to 36 inches above the table.

There is another discussion I am going to try to find of a room that if I remember right is like yours and many good suggestions were made.
3 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 3:46PM
Judy M
Here's the discussion thread:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/322166/Time-For-an-Update-Wallpaper-Stay-or-Go---

This person started out with wallpaper but if you follow the posts ( and there are a lot) you'll see how she removes the wallpaper. Lot's of suggestions about lighting etc are made on the discussion as well.
A couple pictures caught my eye from that discussion.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 4:00PM
camillealbert
Time for the Chaney to go.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:13PM
DIAspoton
i like judys advice. paint the paneling white topped by a neutral color. absolutely update the chandelier. countless options.look through this sight and see what catches your eye. how about painting the corner cupboard black? slipcover the chairs for a more finshed,elegant feel. find many examples of slipcovers on this site by going to browse dining rooms/slipcovered dining chairs. an upholsterd bench replacing to of the chairs would add interest. update the brass switch plate. the plate rack/hanging shelf is a great idea for depth. a mirror on the opposite wall if there's room. note the generou size of the rug in judy's photo.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:40PM
Anni
Thank you all for your comments - very very helpful
@ Judy M - I will try to take more photos tonight that will hopefully be more clearer. To give you more info, the walls cannot be changed; oak and paint (butter color) must stay; the roman shades must stay (oatmeal); furniture must stay oak; cannot paint. Things that I can change - the picture on the wall (I just bought it but it was $60 and I could probably put in another room or sell; can add a valance (need color ideas); change chandelier YES to black/oil rubbed bronze metal. Not interested in area rug under table as we just ripped out mauve carpeting (dated) and put in hardwood. Can update contents of corner cabinet with colored dishes, etc. instead of crystal. Can change area rug in front of door (that's new too but a small investment; got it to match colors in the frame of the picture on the wall). Yes, on updating the switch plates and tossing the shiny brass - should they match new chandelier? The table has shiny brass on the bottom. Not interested in mirror but would consider shelves in place of the picture on that long wall but not built in. Like the examples, especially your beach rental, are really nice. Still like the server idea but do not wish to crowd the space. Oh decisions decisions :-)
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 9:59AM
Judy M
I would take clues from the last photo I posted (room with stripes) and arrange an art wall on the big wall in your room. Black frames would coordinate with a black metal chandelier. Notice how they used a large white mat.

Could you keep the shades you have and add two drapery panels on each side?

Definitely consider changing clear glass in china cabinet to something different. I would limit the number of colors that you use inside. Perhaps you can stand plates in the back of the cabinet if there is a plate groove in the shelf. There might be some photos of china cabinets for you to check out for an idea that is appealing to you.

You can match the wall switches to either the metal color of new light or just plain white so it disappears.

You don't have to match the things in the photos just try to take some element of the room that suits the changes you want to make (light, window treatment, art work, etc)
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 10:31AM
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 10:37AM
rguarin
The chandelier has to go. Replace it with something contemporary- clear glass and silver in colour
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 12:31PM