Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to make the built in library more alive
nanecky
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
the colour too bland but I especially would like the built in library to stand out, or is that a bad idea?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Keitha
If you want to accentuate the library to stand out a quick easy fix is to paint the small amount of wall space between the cases an accent color...extend the (gold???) that's below your chair rail to this wall. Replace the existing handles to oil rubbed bronze handles and install a large piece of artwork over the sofa , install drapery panels and you are good to go.
February 7, 2013 at 6:12pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Dark red or green are traditional library colors. Use that to highlight the wall. I like the ideas that Keitha has also.
February 7, 2013 at 6:23pm     
nanecky
Thank you both very much ! I have a question about the red or green. Did you mean the wall behind the sofa or the actual library wall ?
February 7, 2013 at 8:31pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I guess it could be either though I was thinking the library wall.
February 7, 2013 at 9:22pm   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi nanecky -- I had trouble pulling any colors out of your rug because the photo is so dark. In better light, you can pull any darker color out of the rug to add sophistication and drama to your...book closets, I think I'll call them. They are quite a unique feature. I happened to choose what looks like a navy.

I'd pick another color for a throw to cover the '80's-ness on the back of your comfy love seat. Find artwork that you like, again taking color inspiration from your rug, and a floor to ceiling set of drapes in a silk or faux silk.

It's your rug that pulls it all together, so make sure that's the rug you want to live with and that you love the design and colors. If you do, then it's the perfect guide for the rest of your choices.
February 7, 2013 at 9:26pm   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
One more option to consider is painting the inside of the glass cabinets, including the shelves, a dark color such as black or the red/green library colors suggested earlier.
February 7, 2013 at 9:41pm   
PRO
Ruth Ann Chaplik-Secreto
Varnish those built Ins ... Or faux leather them & add accent color , gold or Teal to accent the wall behind the couch. Decide if you want hunting lodge or reading room feel . It should flow with your lifestyle & the rest of your house. What doestheoutside of your house look like ? Play off that .
February 7, 2013 at 10:00pm   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree with the above suggestions - pull a colour from your rug and make that your accent colour - for art,drapes and throw cushions.
I would suggest one of the darker colours for the book cabinets.
Check out the bold colour used for the book cabinets in the attached photo.

Good luck!
February 7, 2013 at 10:25pm   
varonjy
remove the doors, and throw away half of the books. it looks quite full in there. instead, put some nice deco-obcets & maybe some lightning in :) and organize the books by colour, i love that look :D
February 8, 2013 at 2:30am   
Keitha
I think if you paint the entire library unit a dark color it's gonna look like "the dark hole". That wall unit being all white now would still have the existing effect... It would just be navy instead! You need a little contrast that's not too dark.
February 8, 2013 at 8:11am   
nanecky
I can't believe all the wonderful ideas and comments from so many people. I thank each and every one of you, I am new to this site but do I love it ! Merci !
I will have to think about it more and I just bought this house and only moving in June of this year, but am planning to make bold changes as this is to blah for me. All your ideas are awesome !
February 8, 2013 at 8:53am   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, give the doors and the room a pop of color.

February 8, 2013 at 10:05am