powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How would a flush soffit look with the rounded arch in my cabinet??
cmorante
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, I would like to do one of two things, let me know what you suggest:
1- remove soffit and add trim to the top of the cabinet, having an open shelf on the top
2-make the soffit flush with the cabinet and then put the trim at the ceiling...BUT would that that look SILLY with the rounded arch on the top of the cabinet door? or is that OK??
please let me know, i am starting the work on Monday
thanks!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
taking out the soffits are a huge job and will likely require dismantling of your upper cabinets. If you take out successfully, it is opportunity for a medium decorative crown molding.

Just trimming them back to the line of the cabinets isn't going to be easy either. There is a whole superstructure of 2 x 4 etc behind that you can't see.

A larger crown at ceiling is likely the simplest. perhaps consider painting the soffits the ceiling colour & then putting up a the crown to pull your eye up
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:00PM
cmorante
thank you. if doing the work is less difficult than imagined, do you think removing the soffit or just trimming them back would look better with that particular cabinet design? Were you suggesting leaving the soffits where they are and putting the crown?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:03PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Ellen is right!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:04PM
maxwell2115
Ellen..I am considering your idea
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:08PM
maxwell2115
Ellen...I am considering your idea in my kitchen of painting soffit color of ceiling and adding crown molding. Do you have a photo of what it would look like...thanks for the idea!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:10PM
PRO
I'm sorry I don't have a photo that comes to mind... just the ability to visualize given 30 years in this business.

the current soffits look heavy because the green (although a very nice tone) is a strong complimentary colour to the reddish cabinets. It pulls your eye right there & stops so feels heavy.

if they are painted out cream/white like your ceiling it will be an airy feel in comparison. any trim can be added & can be fairly large (4" ht) up at ceiling level to add detail.

I'll see if I can find a image with a similar impression to illustrate but I'm sure from my description, you get the idea.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 10:47PM
PRO

this kitchen has a softer colour palette, but notice the crown along top of dropped soffit, then the crown... I hope that gives you the idea....
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 10:54PM
PRO
Robin Rigby Fisher CMKBD/CAPS
You have a traditional style cabinet. I suggest removing the soffit and installing a big crown. At least 3 1/2" tall with a 2+" projection. If you have the budget, you can do a three part crown that could bring the cabinets even closer to the ceiling. This will result in a longer upper cabinet, more traditional.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 11:29PM
maxwell2115
Ellen, thank you so much...the photo was very helpful. I have one more question, if my cabInet color is dark wood, what color molding would you use...same color as cabinets?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:30AM
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Ellen is correct. More then likely you will find electrical wiring in the soffit and maybe some plumbing lines.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:45AM
cmorante
Robin, what is a three part crown? It would extend the cabinet all the way to the ceiling?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 6:53AM
Samantha Broxton
I would wait until I could have new taller cabinets to put in before changing the soffit but if it bothers you now cut out a small 1x2 panel that's easily patched from above the range wall and the sink wall and have a looksee as to what's in there, we already know there's electrical due to the lights but you may have plumbing from upstairs sitting in there that will cost a bit to move if they even can move it. For just disguising it paint matching the ceiling and crown matching the cabs would soften the effect it has now.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:54AM
cmorante
Ellen, would the paint color in the picture you sent (which is beautiful) look ok with our flooring? And, will the soffit solution look ok with our rounded detail in the cabinet doors? thanks again and again for your help!
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 11:34AM
PRO
The paint similar to the photo would be softer & likely quite compatible with your flooring & back splash tones but remember you are still going to get a bit of a focal area along the line with the richness of cabinets below.

you had a question about a "3 part crown" the look is similar to the photo I'm
attaching

see how there is a small molding just at the level of the cabinets, then a large riser-similar to your soffit, then a big crown at top. Notice how it lifts your eye. All the trims same colour. I'm sure if you looked you could see one done all in cherry too.

0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 2:33PM
cmorante
Ellen, thank you!! I am starting the work Monday and have to make a decision. What range of sizes on height and projection do you suggest for the molding at the level of the cabinets and the one at the ceiling?
0 Likes   February 16, 2013 at 8:41PM
PRO
at cabinet level you could go anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/2" ht x about the same projection. The crown at top should be larger 3-4" ht and 2-3" projection. Most lumber supply stores have a wide selection, so just comes down to the general shapes you prefer. Simple verses more detail. You have traditional cabinets so can take little more interesting crown
0 Likes   February 17, 2013 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Open living-room and kitchen nook paint.
I have painted my 30 ft living-room wall chocolate...
Lisa Rossignolo
Small bathroom
Help! I have a small bathroom and need a small sink....
sveta222
Half circle window above bed
Above my bed there is a large half circle window joined...
smatasha102
Kitchen counter tops
We are getting ready to re-do the kitchen and after...
sunshineks
Fireplace mantle too high?
Recently remodeled this fireplace, but it feels like...
lindseylulu00
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.