Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Update
jckopecky
February 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I don't really like the outside of my house. It is my first home, and we have remodeled most of the inside. The soffet & facia (?) (everything but the brick) is a weird pinkish-beige- brown color. It is really ugly with the brick. The pictures aren't great--I'll upload more tomorrow. But what color(s) would you guys suggest? What about shutters? The picture that shows most of the house is from before we moved in, then there is the second picture that is close up so you can see the colors better.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rhanks1
The colors are really a personal choice. You should paint the front door, the side panels and the molding all the same color so it looks like one element. Paint the brick on the front a darker color, than the wood siding. In fact if you could replace the siding with a horizonal boards, even better. Paint the garage door the same as the front door. A couple shades darker than the brick and a different complimentary color. Paint the trim around the soffit same color as the wood siding. Paint the wood and brick the same color on the wall with the garage door. Add a wood panel underneath the window to the right of the front door so the overall dimension is the same size as the other window. Put paneled shutters on both windows with the shutters on the shorter window to be the full length of the window and panel. Build a brick planter on the right side of the porch Or buld a brick
raised flower bed the height of the highest step. Plant an ornament tree in between the two windows, and add an uplight on the tree. Add brick soilder bricks on the side of the drive way that is next to the lawn. If you get stuck on picking the colors, drive around your neighborhood, there is no shame in copying something that catches your eye.
February 7, 2013 at 10:48PM