Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Mezzanine Condo to transform without loss of light/airy feel
designideas2013
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
I would like to transform this condo: 1. the mezzanine needs to be closed off for privacy reasons.
2. there is a 9x9ft space to the left of the living room. This needs to be a guest room. I was thinking of putting a murphy bed to the wall across from the windows. It also needs to be closed off when in use as bedroom.
Due to the immense hight I was thinking also of maybe hanging a bed in that space and make it retractable when not in use. (just thinking outside the box).
How can I best close off these spaces without making the living room seem tight and small. Conditions: lots of light and for the guest room: whatever is used to close off the space should take up as little space as possible, so when open, the living room has its original wide/open feel.
Who would like to think "outside the box" inside my box?
Looking forward to your ideas.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Due to the angle of the ceiling it would be hard to do drapes as a partition to the proposed guest area. What about a large folding screen. Those old coromandel screens can sometimes be found...one of those would look great in your space., and look good even folded away when not in use.
Justa suggestion with furniture placement in your LR. You do not have enough space to place your chaits diagonally like you have. You have a chair covering a doorway, even if it is only to your deck??? you need to straighten up those 2 chairs and give yourself some more space that way. Th
Think what you ahve done upstairs with the drapes is about all you can do there .
February 8, 2013 at 7:30AM   
Nancy Hehmann
You could put a nice Day bed there with several cushions along the back so that it can double as a sofa during the time it is not in use. You can buy pop up frames for underneath to expand the sleeping area. They can be very comfortable to sit on if you get a firm twin mattress (that is what fits on them). I have an oak one. They do not have to be metal. You can ask a furniture store it they have catalogues to look at to expand what you see online or in stores.
February 8, 2013 at 7:53AM   
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
The space while bright and airy is awfully tall. How about creating a wall between the guest room area and living room that only goes as high as the mezzanine floor. Here is an idea I had for doing so while closing off the mezzanine as well by creating a horizontal line that will tie the spaces together , while not destroying the natural light of the space and giving you the separation you are looking for.
February 8, 2013 at 8:22AM     
chickinvic
I wouldn't close off that mezzanine area if it were me. It is a great feature (honestly if I were looking to buy a condo I would be looking for something like that - I love lofts). What you have done with curtains is the best solution IMO. You could change the curtains or put up some screens that can slide over, but I wouldn't wall over it.
February 8, 2013 at 9:00AM   
designideas2013
First of all: Thank you to all of you for taking the time to comment. Now my thought:
1. Chickinvic: the curtains are not an option, since I live with a family member. Any concret ideas of slide-over screens? The room has to be sound proof, because when one person watches tv in the liv. room the one sleeping in the mezzanine needs silence. That is really what my post was all about, so you have missed the point. The closing-off question is for privacy. Thank you anyways for your comment.

2. PamDesigns: Thank you Pam. I like your presentation!
Problem 1: the heights of the condo is probably the attraction...it is a 990SF condo, and I believe it the hight goes, those 990SF would really look like it. I cannot really leave the ceiling open, because the guest would not have privacy. Also, I am looking for ideas on how to close off the 9x9ft guest room in a way that when not used as such, it is part of the living room and let all the light in from the window in the back. ..I have also thought of mirror doors, so the liv. room area will not look so small.
Mezzanine: Glass, is an idea, but does it block noise?
Greetings
February 9, 2013 at 4:38AM   
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
It's true, putting up a wall just to the mezzanine level would not give a guest privacy from those on the mezzanine level --unless you closed off the mezzanine level also. The point of not bringing the wall up to the ceiling accents the volume of the tall ceiling, allows natural light to fill the space and keeps the space in proportion. It does not keep noise out. Windows would not do much to keep noise out of the mezzanine area either. In order create better privacy into the guest area, move the mezzanine windows over to the left or run them along the top of the wall so they only serve to let light in and not create a view. In any case, you may need to look at what walling off the mezzanine does in terms of egress codes and resale value to your home. Mirrored doors may cause sound issues too as they are hard surfaces that will bounce rather than absorb sound waves.
February 12, 2013 at 12:30PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
So it sounds like you need to build walls that are insulated and use solid core doors.
February 12, 2013 at 12:34PM   
jlitchenburg
I'm just an amateur and probably don't have a true pic of your space in my head ... is it possible to do a framework that would have stationary glass above to fill a space that may not be square and then have wood sliding glass doors below that line for this little separate area. Curtain could be on the inside of the "little room" so that they could be drawn and would provide privacy but pushed back to the sides when not in use. The glass doors can be pushed back when privacy is not needed. These doors (patio or whatever you want to call them) push back in stages and are generally very heavy duty glass and are usually used on an outside wall ... so they must provide some sound control. You would have several "options": 1. Doors completely closed but can see out, 2. Doors closed & curtains drawn (part or all the way), 3. Everything open, ..... or for just a little privacy for a short time, 4. Doors open and curtains pulled! Want to get really creative ... etch the glass w/a design or scene that appeals to you!
February 12, 2013 at 12:44PM   
designideas2013
Thank you all so much for your comments.
Jiitchenburg: I have been thinking of these doors and have acturally seen some. However, when they open the folded part sticks out...it cannot go towards the inside of the room - norm! I like your idea of etching the glass!
Interiours International, Inc. Sorry, that is the blandest idea and does not meet my requirements for light and openness. - yet. On the other hand: maybe i am looking for the impossible and i apologize for my not being humble.
But I am a strong believer in thinking outside the box, because if we don't, we will always end up with what exists already and that is unrealistic.
Pam Designs3D: could the ceiling maybe made of glass? Does that exist?
NOW A NEW IDEA
why not build a second mezzanine in that 9x9part? Put a ladder in the back that would only be used to go to bed...if there is a guest...the closing off wall would be only half way "real wall"..the rest maybe a window with an arch, or glass with a design.
This way I could leave the living room open at all times AND put a pull out couch or daybed...for even more guests.
I am getting more creative by the day and I thank you all for your cooperation.
February 12, 2013 at 4:59PM   
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
I'm thinking your idea for extending the mezzanine over the guest area is a much better idea that some sort of glass ceiling that might make your guest feel like a bug in a jar.
February 12, 2013 at 10:13PM   
designideas2013
Thank you for your comment, Pam!
February 13, 2013 at 4:21AM   
jlitchenburg
Concerning the type of glass doors you can have .... here is a pic of one kind that is an "accordian" (sp) type door that could be used. Each section folds back over itself. There are also glass doors that would have 4 panels and the two center ones would part and push back over the one on the sides. No need to open them out into the room. I couldn't tell from the description if there would be an opening above these doors, but if so, it could be glass framed in so that it would allow for the natural light that comes in from the windows.
February 15, 2013 at 3:43PM   
designideas2013
thank you! Great idea.
February 15, 2013 at 4:41PM   
More Discussions
Mid-century modern - replace wood paneling, redo floors... ideas!?
I want to pretty much redo the inside of this house...
Need help decorating Living room fireplace and wall
I have a large fireplace and wall and not sure how...
Need advice for living room - pillows and colors
I need help selecting the pillow colors and potentially...
Delft chandelier dilemma - Do you like it? Is it a keeper?
I have this blue & white delft chandelier that I...
New place. Need advice
I am having trouble with the the powder room and family/living...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.