Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtain opinions please?
heidis123
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
When we purchased our home, the previous homeowners had their curtains at this height. I am thinking of raising them to the top of the glass window or close to the top of the wall to pull the eye up and towards the outside. The doors are sliding pocket doors and the top glass area is basically a shelf- approx. 4 inches deep. There is a wall structure above the slider and below the glass area that needs to stay for structural purposes. I am stumped...any thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilia33
Roman shades
February 8, 2013 at 7:23AM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
No do panels. Mount them about 4" down from the top of the wall. If you have a structure that you need to cover, make sure the brackets that you mount your rod on have a 6" return or clearance so that the drape comes out far enough from the wall.

Those drapes are hung way too low and do nothing for the room. Longer drapes almost to ceiling will really pick up that space.
February 8, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Nancy Hehmann
I agree with Julie!! If that is your room, consider a blue fabric with a sheen. Saw some on HGTV show and they looked amazing!
February 8, 2013 at 7:41AM     
pivoines
As you say , you have a problem. I would drywall that "niche/window" if at all possible ,and definitely put the rod higher, but not to the top of the wall , but ,I would align it to the 3/4 wall on the right of the pic. If you are on the other side of that wall the sight of the rod and drapes would confuse the decor on that side. Your rug should be wider so the leg of the armchair sits on it,not just the footstool. A nice textured linen drape would look nice in there. have fun.
February 8, 2013 at 7:47AM     
Keitha
Draperies to ceiling and possibly plates or something else that would be interesting in the space between the ceiling and top of windows? Just click on the picture to see the top of the window.
February 8, 2013 at 1:07PM     
PRO
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
Correct me if I am wrong, but is that a partial wall to the right (where the loveseat is located)?

Visually & aesthetically you don't want your window treatments to be competing in height with that partial wall.

What you could do to make this space somewhat contemporary is to install a sliding panel track system with either sliding plantation shutters or woven wood/bamboo panels. But you would want to go at least 2-4 inches above the transom (top glass) area.
February 8, 2013 at 4:33PM     
Keitha
Panels at the ceiling would not compete with the height of the partial wall but you have a good eye I didn't notice the wall
February 8, 2013 at 5:08PM     
heidis123
The wall on theright backs up to my kitchen cabinets. You can't see the wall of this living room from the kitchen due to the height so I think I can go higher with the drapes. Thank you for all the great ideas...keep 'em coming!
February 8, 2013 at 5:40PM   
Jean Tuck
Love the living rm and if anything were to be changed I would like silvery blue drapes and a round wooden coffee table. Love the chair in there wift the 2 shaded lamp which is good for reading and crafting/embroidery or knitting /crochet.
February 8, 2013 at 5:55PM     
tamara682
Roman Shades. Definitely.
February 8, 2013 at 6:22PM   
Jean Tuck
Well Im thinking maybe stell blue verticle blinds that are covered with material as it would keep sun and sound from outside in the evening to a minimum.
February 9, 2013 at 3:22AM     
inkwitch
You're right, that is an awkward window arrangement. Putting the curtain rod between the transom window (which is really what it is) and the sliders really accentuates that transom, which does nothing for your decor. My choice would be to mount the curtain rod above all the windows, but not to the ceiling, which is elegant in some instances, but doesn't seem appropriate for this space. Mount the brackets so open draperies clear the sliders but don't show the doorframe.

Silvery blue shantung silk draperies would be elegant. Shantung silk has a wonderful sheen and elegance and look a lot pricier than it is. It's a very pretty space. Not many people do blue/white well, but you've nailed it.
February 9, 2013 at 3:39AM     
inkwitch
Additional unrelated comment: I would get a bigger rug. All the front feet of your seating should be on the rug, and ideally, the rug should come within about 6" of the wall. Also, a faint pattern, maybe a quadrifoyle pattern or any geometric, in blue and white would work. The current one is inadequate to the space.
February 9, 2013 at 3:42AM     
pivoines
I am sorry to say that I disagree about the height of the drapes not being an issue , the part wall is in the this room and it is important visually to align with it or it will confuse the design. The drapes will become the focus if too high and that is not what you want.
February 9, 2013 at 3:55AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Ripplefold Sheers or Drapery would work great for the window . I would choose a more decorative rod to hang them on Its traverses really well and comes down really easy for cleaning. As for mounting the hardware I would suggest mounted about 6'' above the window.
February 9, 2013 at 6:23PM     
Keitha
Pivoines , whether the drapes are installed just above the transom or at the ceiling I think we both agree that they are not attractive in their current location...so heidis123 definitely needs an update!
February 10, 2013 at 10:34AM     
pivoines
yes Keitha, but not just above the transom, but in line with the short wall , so it ties it to the room and makes sense of it.
February 10, 2013 at 11:02AM     
hbmiller
Hang the drapes the same height as the kitchen wall, have the drapes extend about 12" beyond the sliding door. I would use a light linen fabric.
February 10, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Keitha
Good tip hbmiller, hanging 12" beyond would let in more light and be helpful in keeping the draperies out of the way of the sliding door.
February 11, 2013 at 1:07PM