powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I use crown molding on walls in new kitchen?
shead
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are beginning a kitchen renovation in which we are actually trading spaces for the dining room and kitchen. We are also doing some extensive remodeling/facelifting in other areas of the home, including new interior trim and doors that will hopefully take the home from standard builder grade to more of a craftsman style look.

We are planning on adding trimwork to all doors and windows like the one shown in this link:
Second sink location

I love how the designer has used the same trim profiles along the top of the cabinetry as they did the window and would like to do the same; however, to maximize effect, should I not have crown molding on the walls in the kitchen or would it be fine to do so?

Our existing space (formerly the dining room) already had crown in place and if I don't go back with crown, there will be need to some drywall repair done (which equals more $$$).

Also, my ceilings are only 8' so please advise on how to scale down the trimwork and cabinet height for the right proportions.

Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
To get the answers that will look best for your space I would suggest that this is not the ideal forum.

Find a good kitchen designer to work with. It is always a little less about what you like in a picture, and a little more about what will look best for your space. The style that you like is classic and to try to do it well takes an expertise that can't be had without in depth help. That kitchen designer should be experienced, skilled, and have good taste. The best designers are not necessarily CKD's (Cerified Kitchen Designers). However it you don't know a good kitchen designer, for this style, it would be a safer bet.

Cheers,
Paul
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
What to do with old chimney in the kitchen (kitchen's focal point)?
I need decorating advice. I am renovating our kitchen...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Switched slab!
I'm replacing the countertops in my kitchen. At the...
Need help with fireplace
Gas fireplace gets HOT can not put mantel up, installed...
Chimney Breast Colour?
Am wondering what colour to paint the chimney breast...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.