powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do about fireplace surround? Help!
3345navy
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone. I am thinking of replacing my fireplace surround...any suggestions on the type of material to use and color? Many thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carolins
I can't see anything wrong with it. Honestly. Don't particularly like the painting (sorry) and you could put the red bowl that's on your table on one of the shelves, together with some other nice ornaments and some books. But I do like your fireplace surround. So... I'm not of any help to you :-)
February 8, 2013 at 9:46am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I'm on that bandwagon. Unless you are going some other direction in your decor from what we see here?
February 8, 2013 at 9:50am   
Judy M
Are we talking about the black granite??? I like it, too! Not a fan of the fake flowers on each side but I like the whole fireplace, mantel and surround.
February 8, 2013 at 9:54am     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Like the mantle..picture not so much, fake flowers..got to go. Try painting the indented rectangles in the wood and the long "out" piece on each side and the back wall where the picture is your tan wall color..try it on Photoshop first.
February 8, 2013 at 10:02am     
3345navy
Great ideas...and agree. When I remove the picture, what should I replace it with? A mirror the width and height of the opening?
February 8, 2013 at 10:30am   
bdennison
check out this rendition - this is my parents home. they used to have the same columns. My dad did all the built-ins and my mom decorated
February 8, 2013 at 11:27am   
carolins
Hmmm... I'd go for artwork, but something that you really love. Etsy.com could be the place to find something or to decide what style you'd like. Also if you browse houzz under rooms/accessories and decor, you'll find some lovely things.
And I wouldn't think too much about 'will it go with the colour of my sofa'. If you really fall in love with it, it will probably go with the other things you love.
A mirror could work, but I wouldn't fill the entire space with it. I like Barbara Griffith's idea of painting the wall.
Love what I can see of your sofa, cushions and rug. Looking good. Perhaps you can liven things up a bit with some silver ornaments or turquoise or green coloured accessories on your shelves. Some nice glasswork perhaps. Combined with the dark red bowl and plate it will look lovely. Don't go overboard though. Some books and/or stack some (interior decoration) magazines on a shelf.

Bottle Vases
Mercury-Glass Vases
Green Mercury Glass Bud Vases

Good luck :-)
February 8, 2013 at 11:46am   
3345navy
Thanks mountaincobra!
February 8, 2013 at 12:01pm   
3345navy
Your dad did a great job bdennison...wish I could see the before. I also like the idea of including some great glass jars/bottles. I will send another pic with the sofa.
February 8, 2013 at 12:06pm   
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
When talking about the surround, you are referring to the black stone and not the mantle itself, nor the surrounding bookshelves. I am not a fan of the gloss black stone. I am also not a fan of busy patterened stones with lots of veining. That being said, less is more. Simple traditional stones like white cararra marble, limestone or sandstone are good choices as they are naturalistic and will go with any color scheme that you choose to paint the walls and woodwork.
I am attaching acouple of images for you to consider. The larger cherry mantle/overmantle has a synthetic limestone surround. The other has a honed black stone. The last two have a very vibrant highly veined surrounds so you can compare my meaning. The owner loved the vibrant and colorfull surrounds. Just not my taste.
February 8, 2013 at 12:10pm   
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
If you think the granite is too "cold" or "formal" looking, I'd invite you to consider our hand-crafted Arts and Crafts Tile. It's definitely a look that brings you back to a particular period, and is miles away from polished grainite. You can check out our photos on houzz or go to our Cottage Craft Tile website at www.jvtile.webs.com Good luck with your project!
February 8, 2013 at 12:22pm   
More Discussions
Stair runner - thoughts?
Hi - I would love some feedback on this runner. The...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Should I replace the cabinets?
I bought a house from the 60s. Wallpaper, shag carpet,...
Sitting Room mirror decision!
I have a relatively dark sitting room with a large...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.