powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is the stripe rug a do or don't for the space?
pharkins
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Working on decorating my sitting room. Found the attached striped rug with great colors. The rug is 5x8. Is it ok not to have feet of furniture on the rug? Do the stripes make space seem wider or work against the space? An 8x10 rug will not fit in the space. Searching for a round table or ottoman for the space no larger than 30" in diameter. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
DIAspoton
how about an 8 x 8 square rug? it may just be the photo, but i'm getting a runway effect here from the stripes,feature wall, spot lights combo. it seems to put alot of pressure on the casegoods focal point. the problem is you then see a mixture of 'stuff' rather than 1 special item.
how would you feel about moving all of your blue glass to the lower cabinets. removing all of the shelves from the upper cabinet.i'm getting a beachy vibe. is that right? looks like a starfish and shells? if so, you could look for ,or commission, an oceanic/marine related sculpture for the center. buy 2 very,tall and thin glass cylinder vases for the sides and fill them with blue seaglass. i met a driftwood artist at a large arts festival last spring. he does beautiful animal carvings and they're surprisingly affordable.

an ottoman might be too heavy. a round glass top coffee table with a driftwood base would be better.
February 8, 2013 at 11:52AM     
charleee
Try turning the rug to the opposite direction. DIA is right, there is a runway effect, giving an altar effect to the bookcase.
February 8, 2013 at 12:01PM     
PRO
nFORMAL design
There is a runway effect for sure, but if you turn it and have the stripes go in with the foreshortened direction, it will have the same effect even though the rug is longer. Plus, the stripes in that direction would screw with the perspective. I don't mind the stripes, but I DO think you need a larger rug.

Maybe a circular rug to break up the boxy feel.
February 8, 2013 at 12:10PM     
patriciarhall
the room would be prettier and more serene without the rug at all. a round ottomon would be lovely.
February 8, 2013 at 12:20PM     
Keitha
I think turning the rug as old bobby suggested might do the trick!
February 8, 2013 at 12:26PM     
beachball400
I think it ties the room together. I would keep it in the room.
February 8, 2013 at 12:29PM     
charleee
Thank you, Keitha! Kind of you to say so.
February 8, 2013 at 12:30PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Yeah, loose the rug it isn't working at all.
February 8, 2013 at 12:32PM     
mcbride2304
6'x9' ?
February 8, 2013 at 12:34PM     
amafixer
Overstock has some lovely round coffee tables and ottomans that could work in your space. I have purchased rugs, linens, mattresses, etc. from Overstock and have been satisfied with all my purchases. And shipping is so reasonable. Be sure to read online reviews regarding colors, etc.
February 8, 2013 at 12:38PM     
curacaoblue
I'll be the odd one out. I like this room a lot and I also like th rug. I would turn it the other way and get a coffee table. I love the colors and the display shelf. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the shells in the blue table. They look a thrown on there and in a place where some one would place a cocktail. Love it otherwise!
February 8, 2013 at 12:55PM     
magerm
Try some books and fewer objects on the shelves, it looks cluttered. The rug works but pull the furniture on to the rug, it looks weird with the furniture off the rug and pushed up against the walls. You also need some art on the two walls, nothing too small. The table lamp and shade are really nice.
February 8, 2013 at 12:56PM     
charleee
I think also, the scale of the sofa and chairs is out of proportion with the very tall bookcase. Especially the very small chairs.
February 8, 2013 at 1:02PM     
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Nice color! I like how you're tying in the traditional pieces with contemporary style....very eclectic! First thing, try an asymmetrical balance with the accessories in your casegood. For example, the plant on top would create more depth behind another accessory up top... Grouping is good! As far as textiles go, this room is screaming for some pattern! A rug with rich color will help tie in all your accessories and ground the space (definite yes to furniture legs on rug). Have you considered the option of a large (8') round rug? Check out some of our favorites. They're all available in normal rectangular sizes as well :)
February 8, 2013 at 1:09PM     
feeny
curacaoblue, you are not the odd one out. I too think the room is adorable with the rug, and as a whole. It has character and charm and a little bit of whimsy. Ideally I might pull the chairs and sofa forward a few inches so that their front legs are on the rug, but I think it looks great in the space. (Have to say I'm not a fan of round rugs).
February 8, 2013 at 1:10PM     
Rosemarie
I think your room is spectacular!!!!! pull the chairs up, add a round white ottomen and U have done a very professional job--I'd hire you. Love the colors and lighting!
February 8, 2013 at 1:26PM     
Aja Mazin
Fantastic room!

I can't believe I am saying this, but the rug needs to be brighter, bolder!!
February 8, 2013 at 1:43PM     
Keitha
I agree with others, just pull the chairs up a little and put something BIG and bold behind those chairs...LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! You have great style.
February 8, 2013 at 1:47PM     
Aja Mazin
How about this rug from the UK for $40.75 new on ebay?
Many sizes available.
February 8, 2013 at 1:53PM     
Genevieve
not with the furniture that you have I like the carpets that Sphinx posted top right
February 8, 2013 at 1:54PM   
Aja Mazin
And available in all sizes and shapes
February 8, 2013 at 2:06PM     
Keitha
Can you post a picture of your stripe rug turned as discussed earlier?
February 8, 2013 at 2:08PM   
Aja Mazin
The striped rug does not work because the muted colours conflict with the freshness and vibrancy of the sitting room.
February 8, 2013 at 2:10PM     
PRO
Studio NOO Design
Love the rug but it needs to be square or bigger. The color match is perfect !
February 8, 2013 at 2:11PM     
Aja Mazin
Colours may match, but that rug isn't working.

A lot more to design than colour matching.
February 8, 2013 at 2:15PM     
Alison Jordan
Try moving the chairs to either side of the bookcase. Where is the window in this room? Fabric for curtains would help add pattern. Did you try laying the rug over the sofa as a throw for texture? TRy the sofa where the chairs are. Then you could use the table between the chairs as a sofa side table and add another lamp. On the bookcases, search houzz for displaying art or bookshelves for ideas that look good to you but aren't quite perfect. You may also find a small credenza for the side wall and put two ottomans under - for seating or coffee tables or putting your feet up as function requires. Then you'd have a place to bring some of the color around the room Happy rearranging.
February 8, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Keitha
Guess its a personnel preference! I'm not really opposed to the stripe rug. I'm thinking if you go too vibrant in the rug it will upstage what you have already done.
February 8, 2013 at 2:26PM     
njmomma
I like your room a lot and I think the rug works well with the room just the way it is. Once you get a table in there and some accessories on the table everything will fall into place. I would go with a glass top table and some bold color accessories.

I would choose this table, but not in gold, but in silver or brushed nickle. Use this picture as inspiration.
February 8, 2013 at 2:49PM     
Aja Mazin
Keitha,

I have a 6,000 sq ft house with every wall painted white.

I do not normally care for such colour as used by pharkins.

But she used her colours so well and choose such unique furnishings that the result is stunning!!!

I honestly feel no rug would or could upstage her accomplishments.
February 8, 2013 at 2:53PM     
collettec
I agree with olldbobbi re proportion. I think you need some art on the walls in order to work to balance the cabinet more. I would take the items off the top of the cabinet and add a taller item, perhaps another lamp on the table between the chairs. Re the rug, perhaps if you pulled the table and couch down a little toward the front of the room it wouldn't appear as long. A smaller wood table for coffee table, perhaps even something painted, perhaps a color like the coral in the rug. Think you could pull more of the coral into the room with accessories.
February 8, 2013 at 2:54PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love the rug and I think you've done a beautiful job of putting together a fascinating room that speaks of your personality. Well done!
February 8, 2013 at 2:58PM     
Keitha
Aja, we are not really talking about the size of YOUR house but I do agree that no rug can upstage her accomplishments!
February 8, 2013 at 3:04PM     
PRO
Studio NOO Design
Aja, I am surprised that you are referring to YOUR house in the comments and at the same time giving advice that are really touching personal taste and style. It is our job, as designers, to help people accomplish good design within their own taste and choices... not our own. So please, good design is not for you to judge. We are trying to be helpful and Houzz is a place for writing nice things !
February 8, 2013 at 3:12PM     
littlemissk
Love your color palette. What is opposite of the cabinet, ie, where you are standing when taking the photo?
February 8, 2013 at 3:21PM   
PRO
Interiors By Daryce
How about placing the rug at an angle and create the illusion of more width to the room.
February 8, 2013 at 3:25PM   
Aja Mazin
olldbobbi,
Can't turn the rug.
Someone might trip over the stripes.
February 8, 2013 at 3:28PM     
Lani Dean
I think it looks great, but what do I know? Once you plunk down your ottoman or table it will take away any " runway effect" ;-) Artwork on those opposing walls will bring things together as well, love it!
February 8, 2013 at 3:32PM     
charleee
Aja, do these stripes make my room look fat? (Not my joke, I stole it from someone else but don't tell, ok?)

And white is quickly becoming my favorite color; it goes with EVERYTHING.
February 8, 2013 at 3:32PM     
mzlove
I would also like to see the rug turned the other way. Agree with the idea of a small round ottoman or coffee table. I'm asking the pros - does the room need some color contrast? For example, maybe, in wall art work
February 8, 2013 at 3:33PM     
janeyfulloffun
do you know that you can buy any carpet from a carpet store and have it cut and bound to your exact size? There are a lot of very cool patterned carpets. I think this rug is too small--should go partway under furniture. Hate sitting in rooms without coffee table.How about something metal and glass to keep the look open?
February 8, 2013 at 3:34PM     
Aja Mazin
Gotta agree with:

Interiors International, Inc.
"Yeah, loose [sic] the rug it isn't working at all."
February 8, 2013 at 3:36PM   
PRO
J. Scott Interiors and The Well Dressed Window
I like the rug. Could you move the sofa off the wall a little and bring the chairs in too so that the front legs are on the rug? I think some pops of orange would also look nice.
February 8, 2013 at 3:38PM     
Nancy Hehmann
I absolutely love your room!! I think the design of the couch and chairs are really nice. If you like the rug keep it! I think it looks great although I think I am in love with the 1st rug that Aja Mazin posted with the circles- like the vibrancy of the colors. I usually just like neutral walls but in this case I like the blue accent wall with the white bookcase in front of it.
February 8, 2013 at 3:49PM     
mzlove
pops of orange, yes, that's what I was thinking.
February 8, 2013 at 3:53PM     
Ruth Whelpley
Nice spot. Curl up with a book and background music and relax.
February 8, 2013 at 3:57PM     
Sande Wendt
I like the room and wonder how the room would look if you switched the placement of the sofa and the bookcase. You could put the rug under the sofa legs that way and the beautiful sofa would be the focal point. I'm not a designer (as you may have guessed), and no designer has suggested that, so take it with a grain of salt.
February 8, 2013 at 4:01PM   
Aja Mazin
olldbobbi,

No, the fat in the room makes the room look fat, but my MIL is glued to the sofa!
February 8, 2013 at 4:05PM   
charleee
MIL? What is that?
February 8, 2013 at 4:07PM   
Linda Anthony
The rug should be bigger - usually the rule of thumb is 1' space around the edge, however, at least the front feet of the couch and chairs should sit on the rug. The room looks lovely and would like to offer a couple 'pickie' suggestions... Group the shells on the side table - three is rule of thumb. Apparently the doorway is where the pic is taken from, thus there is no way to counter-balance the tall bookshelf. (like a boat, balance is always important, and in height and weight of items)

SO, leave the center vase w/greens there and remove the two other items to the bottom - makes book case appear 'top' heavy. If you want to add to the 'greens' choose TWO smaller items (from your lower shelves - not 'tiny' items, but a couple and tuck them in close to the 'greens'. LOVE your pics in the case, and can see you have grouped others in threes. I prefer larger items on the lower shelves to 'ground' and avoid top heavy feel. This way the bookshelf won't appear bigger than it already is.

I think you've done an excellent job of putting this together. IF you get an ottoman or glass coffee table, put a tray on it, with a couple of your shells or other items you may remove from the bookshelves. HERE is a place to put some height and will counter balance the bookshelves like one of those beautiful vases on the next to the top shelf. Pull another vase, from below to replace it so those shelves don't look 'matchy-matchy'. The one 'round' vase, just below the drawers is too big for that space - switch it out with something smaller from bottom-center shelf, and put THAT 'round' vase in the center, which will show it off more.

Here's another idea - add another TALL lamp to the room - or floor lamp. The candle holder on the very small table on the right, would look great on a tray on your ottoman or on your coffee table. That's what I am talking about when I suggested height! Once you do that, and walk out and back in the room a couple of times, you WILL like big items there!
February 8, 2013 at 4:15PM     
Keitha
Pharkins, where are you?
February 8, 2013 at 4:15PM   
I think everything will look great when you get a coffee table. I can see you are very symmetrical, ( I am too) and it will be hard, but I agree with previous poster who said loose the shells on the round blue table.
February 8, 2013 at 4:16PM     
saraj11357
I really think the room is beautiful! All the colors look good, I agree with moving the furniture in a few inches, and I think if you had some pictures on the walls above the furniture, and a round white leather, or vinyl ottoman, you would have a completely finished room! I wish half of my house looked this put together! I like it!
February 8, 2013 at 4:16PM     
linderella
I do love the settee and small slipper chairs but they seem ill-suited to the lovely large bookcase. By removing some chotchkies from the bookcase (especially those on the top), you might be able to make it look a little more in proportion to the room size, the settee, and the chairs. I would replace the missing glassware with books of varying sizes and using those with book jackets in shades of blue, black or off white. Using area rugs in small rooms can be tricky. I would work on finding art work or a mirror to put over the sofa and another piece to put on the opposite wall. Then decide if you want a glass cocktail table, leather ottoman, or perhaps a tray table in front of the sofa. You'll know better once you get that piece if the rug works or not. An alternative suggestion to the existing rug would be a 6' ft. round or 8' ft. square rug in a multi shades of blue print like those recommended above.
February 8, 2013 at 4:17PM     
jbwheat4
I think it needs to be bolder - one including black and/or white would be better.
February 8, 2013 at 4:29PM     
Lkristine
Love the rug and the direction, but 9x11 would really widen the space! Your room is beautiful though! Here is an ottoman idea, under 30 inches. http://shopping.yahoo.com/806567128-round-patchwork-century-brown-and-dark-caramel-ottoman/;_ylt=AkRX8cU5qMAtdbhlf4w2apOSBcYu
February 8, 2013 at 4:30PM     
charleee
Maybe that's it.....maybe it needs a third color.....
February 8, 2013 at 4:31PM     
Coralee Angell
I really like the space and I think the rug is great. If you add a small coffee table to the centre of the room it will make the rug less obvious.
February 8, 2013 at 4:34PM     
lynedan8
The rug is great, but maybe too much pattern in a small space. I would put a white Flokati rug.
February 8, 2013 at 4:44PM     
Michelle Hegglin-Goldstein
I like the rug. It brings in another color which is the orangey tan. I read somewhere that the color proportions in any room should be 60/30/10. You have the 60/30 but are lacking the 10. I would take away 50% of the nick nacks in the book case and add in the orange color. As for the rug, keep it but rotate it. Everything looks very parallel in the room. I would also bring forward those adorable chairs. If you're having a conversation with people on the couch the distance is a bit too far away. I like many of the other comments above. Lots of good ideas out there. After you make the changes, send an after picture :)
February 8, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Aja Mazin
olldbobbi,

MOTHER IN LAW.

I learned it on Houzz!
February 8, 2013 at 4:46PM     
Barb Machalek
Definitely keep the rug, it draws your eye to the focal point (cabinet) and the colors are perfect - ties it all together. My opinion is to keep the rug just as it is laid (don't turn it sideways because it will end up partially under the furniture and it should not be). Perfect pic "AS IS!" Some framed artwork on both of the white walls would look nice, wooden frames, one in blue wood to match the small table and the other frame in medium gray wood, would bring it all together. One could be artwork and the other a mirror with frame.
February 8, 2013 at 4:52PM     
pjoa
I love it! Think you've done a great job.
February 8, 2013 at 4:53PM     
littlemissk
What fun! Love your complementary color palette. Hard to say on the rug, not being able to see what is going on in the opposite direction from the cabinet, however, as others have commented, it does look a bit "runway", but ... if you place something in the middle (ottoman or table) the rug may become a non-issue other than for its color. I'd leave it for now.

What I think this is about is balance in the room and to bring the focus down closer to the furniture since the room is higher than it is wide. Since you've some texture going on in your lovely slipper chairs and pattern in your rug and lampshade, here are a few ideas:

1. Get a more substantial table for the side of the couch to take the place of the blue one that is there. Perhaps something that has some glass and silver on it to coordinate with the lamp. Pull it out a bit more so that it is centered with the depth of the couch. Because this area appears small, the glass would help keep the open feel.
2. Place a floor lamp in the right corner by the bookcase, something that would be a bit higher than the lamp that sits on the table by the couch.
3. Place a lamp on the table between the two chairs that would be a bit lower than the lamp by the couch when it sits on the table so that when someone sits on the chairs it doesn't shine into their faces.
(Your overhead lighting is lovely but these two extra lamps, along with the one by the couch, would create a more intimate feel in the room.)
4. An upholstered, functional, ottoman would be nice to place between all the seating, then move the seating a bit more towards the middle and away from the walls, not much. Again, it would make it feel a bit more intimate and be useful for sitting snacks and drinks on (maybe a nice tray).
5. Edit the bookcase a bit. All your decorative items are quite nice, but it is a bit busy and seeing some of the white come through would give it more balance. Add more books. They don't all have to be upright but can be placed on their sides and spun. Visit a used bookstore and get some books with interesting spines and whose colors might blend with your decor. The bookcase is pretty tall so I'd remove the items at the very top.
6. Try to incorporate some of the color in your room in at least one piece of artwork, only a few shades darker. Place artwork on the wall by the couch (the two lamps on the other side will help balance that wall). I get allot of my art at thrift stores and either buy them for their colors or frames, or both, and mix them all up on a wall. This is inexpensive and very easy to deal with when you want to change things up again. http://www.posterart.com/
7. Take the color out of your rug and chairs, bump it up a few shades to create drama and move it onto the furniture with pillows (stripes, textures, floral). http://www.pier1.com/home-decor-accents/pillows,default,sc.html#sz=60
It would be nice to see that blue-green and yellow-orange in some deeper shades and moved around the room a bit.
February 8, 2013 at 4:54PM   
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I think you've done an awesome job overall. My one suggestion for what you've done so far is that the top of the bookcase is too symmetrical...I would move the plant to the right with the accessory angled in front.

The rug is fine (put a rug grip under it to prevent the bunching)...just pull in the chairs & sofa a few inches. I would do 2 square glass topped bunching tables, about 18" square instead of an ottoman...or anything else round, as you already have 2 round end tables. The only reason why the "runway effect" is there is because there's nothing sitting on it.

Over the sofa, a large horizontal canvas wrapped watercolor artwork & over each chair, a large vertical artwork. I would then do a wall mounted electric sconce in between the 2, over the table in between the chairs. I would probably forget the candle on that table & pull in some small tall coral piece. Then stop.

But as far as a rug with more pattern or round...absolutely no...it would overwhelm the space.
February 8, 2013 at 5:01PM     
Sharon Rea
Maybe bring the furniture a little ways from the wall and add o focal point in the center of the book case, a spot of orange maybe.
February 8, 2013 at 5:27PM   
PRO
It seems to me that houzzers have drifted far from pharkins' original question of what we thought about her rug. I think that far too often we take the opportunity to scrutinize every little detail of a room where we really should not wander. We should, I believe, apply ourselves to answering the question at hand. Whether one accessory in the room is too tall, too short, too bright, too drab, etc., is not what should interest us.

I have stated and will re-state that I find the room to be splendidly done in a wonderfully personal manner that can only be achieved by a homeowner with a deep love of what she has and how it is arranged.
February 8, 2013 at 5:36PM     
anitajoyce
I think the stripes in this rug just doesn't do much for this lovely room. How about a rug with a bold or geometric print (something else besides stripes will work better. Love what you have done so far. How about a picture above the sofa also. Would you consider placing the shelve on the beige wall instead and the sofa on the blue wall (or would this work)?
February 8, 2013 at 5:39PM   
aloha42
The stripes are fine, The rug and the colors are perfect. If there is a problem it is the upholstered furniture pieces are all too small for the space, especially the chairs on the right. Love the colors
February 8, 2013 at 5:53PM   
ktiquet
I love your room the rug might be a little small maybe if you moved the couch and chairs off the walls just a little it would work. I was wondering where did you get your chairs from I love them! I think you have done a great job!
February 8, 2013 at 6:03PM     
olldroo
I am very anti putting rugs on top of carpets, the backing of the rug can ruin the carpet pile. Were your room larger I would go for a patterned ottoman in the blue, white, orange, tan colours but I think in your case I would keep to a glass table and put the colours on the wall in artwork. Allowing your carpet to show will keep the room lovely and fresh looking at all times. If you want the room to have a beach theme, coral is another colour that will look great in lieu of orange.
February 8, 2013 at 6:26PM     
mom2lala
this smaller space needs absolute SYMMETRY and the ceiling should be that fabulous aqua accent instead of the wall, It would be unexpected in such a good way! it would really open up the visual flow and blues on ceilings really lift
February 8, 2013 at 7:18PM   
jingstad
You really don't need the rug in the space. I feel that it would look more spacious without the rug and without a coffee table. Move the lamp and the table by the sofa (without the shells, please) to between the chairs. Add an interesting floor lamp beside the sofa. The chairs are lower than the sofa back and it looks like all the height is on the sofa wall. Instead of a coffee table, how about 2 smaller square tables in the aqua color....perhaps the same paint as the wall. These can then be moved to the ends of the sofa for a change of pace. Remove many of the smaller groupings from the cabinet and have just the plant on top (off to one side). Then a large painting over the two chairs and a grouping or large wall sculpture over the sofa.
February 8, 2013 at 7:32PM     
saltcitybabe
Does this room feel like a place YOU want to be in? Then it's an awesome space.
February 8, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Anina Salerno_Aita
Love your color choices and the sofa and chairs, but I agree with others that the rug is a bit too narrow and as a result it gives the look of a runway or a hallway runner. I think a more vibrant, larger rug that leaves about a foot of floor exposed all the way round would be better, or a round rug. I also agree that a glass topped coffee table would be good, since the room is not super large. OR, you could skip the rug completely.
February 8, 2013 at 7:59PM   
johnettehlad
I love the top right round rug!
February 8, 2013 at 8:26PM   
mamachers
I think your room is lovely. However, I think the rug needs to go under the furniture. A little small unless turning would work.
February 8, 2013 at 8:55PM     
Linda Anthony
hey, just another thought, put the rug at a diagonal and see what that looks like! I think you might be surprised because everything else is so 'SQUARE"...
February 8, 2013 at 8:59PM     
4resas
I was getting ready to say try diagonal
February 8, 2013 at 9:16PM     
olldroo
Carolyn, well said, I could not agree with you more.
February 8, 2013 at 11:39PM     
olldroo
jingstad - could you tell me where you found that wall art please? Is there a website?
February 8, 2013 at 11:40PM   
Doug Warner
Rug is nice but could be bigger. However, I think the main problem is furniture against the walls and everything is so lined up. Try pulling couch and chairs closer together and at slight angles and I think you'll be close to finished. The round ottoman will be great and help to break up all the symmetry.
February 9, 2013 at 5:10AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
There are too many posts to read so if I repeat I am sorry. Firstly it is a lovely room and the case piece is fabulous. The rug is alittle anemic but easily reamedied by placing a larger seagrass rug under it. i would also try angling the rug for interest. You do need some large scale art to balance proportions. One large canvas on one side and three of four medium size pieces hung gallery style on the other. Edit the case piece items a little. The painted blue table does not appear to have the sophistication that the rest of the room has.I love this room.
February 9, 2013 at 5:24AM     
Linda Anthony
@Carolyn - I do agree we get sidetracked from the original question, however, when someone is asking for advice or approval, then we understand they would really like the space to be 'complete or perfect'. All the elements ARE there to achieve that and out of thoughtful thinking, we go a step or two further. This space is so gorgeous, it would only take moving a couple things around to achieve the perfection the poster is obviously looking for. I would sit in this space anytime and enjoy the hospitality which is what was the ultimate goal here.
February 9, 2013 at 6:55AM     
feeny
I wholeheartedly agree with Carolyn, find this room charming as it stands, and am afraid that flattening the design into some communally-agreed upon "perfection" will take away its originality and charm.
February 9, 2013 at 7:04AM     
judianna20
It is not that I don't care for the rug, I am not crazy about an area rug laid over wall to wall. It never looks right…always wrinkling and the corners roll up. But, I also would love to see color there, so my vote is no rug and a colorful ottoman…

February 9, 2013 at 11:32AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Love the room. I'm working on another comment for later. Maybe bring the two tables away from the wall so they sit closer to the chair front edges. It will not feel like everything is so lined up too tight against the walls.

Maybe create some bare space around some shelving collections in the cabinet with your treasures. They look a little too evenly placed the same distance apart from one another. Maybe bring a few closer together on a couple of shelves as a tighter grouping.
February 9, 2013 at 12:57PM     
grayvane215
A do !
February 9, 2013 at 1:04PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Well, I was one of those that saw a few other things to dicuss, so I apologize for getting off track also.
I feel the rug should be larger and have stronger colors of the room and with a somewhat bolder pattern. I don't feel that a stripe is the answer for a rug.
February 9, 2013 at 2:05PM   
PRO
we are all visual people and see more than just the issue at hand. I think it is ok to give an opinion on teh main question as well as side issues. Often our answer for the main question involves mentioning other items for our answer to make sense.
February 9, 2013 at 2:15PM     
zenhome
I think you've done a lovely job of your room and the area rug works quite well in the space to tie in your colours.

As for Aja's comment above - the correct spelling is LOSE, not loose. LOL!! Wouldn't generally make a comment like this but couldn't resist to a poster who comes across as very pushy and rude in many of her posts.
February 9, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Lani Dean
You could always knock out a wall and insert a window..... OK, I'm kidding. As I stated earlier I think it's just lovely. Don't over think your decorating and always let your personal style shine through! No prescription decorating!
February 9, 2013 at 2:54PM     
Lani Dean
PS and then I'm not doing this ever again--I could not tell on my ipad that there was carpeting under the rug. If there is carpet in place I personally would not top it with an area rug, is not necessary, but if you like it do it. Just do the junk I said and it will look great
February 9, 2013 at 3:01PM   
flgrandma
The room is lovely, nice colors and so relaxing. . A place I like would like to sit and read or visit with a friend. I saw suggestions above to use a square or round rug in place of your 8 x 10 and think either would work. Don't overdo.
February 9, 2013 at 3:02PM     
alisonrinzel
trade up the rug to a larger size - 8x10 would be much better - adding a coffee table would break up the runway feeling.
February 9, 2013 at 3:15PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with alisonrinzel
February 9, 2013 at 4:01PM   
sallyann1102
I had a similar situation. Turned the rug the other way and now I love it. I like your rug and the colors.
February 9, 2013 at 4:15PM     
Dawn Taillon
I really like the feel of the room. The rug does not bother me. I think if there were a pouff or small table or ottoman in the center and a little art it would look more complete and take away any run way affect but I love the look of the room. It is a small space and a huge furniture obstacle course would take away from the charm and usability of the space. I like the stuff on the wall unit myself.
February 9, 2013 at 4:36PM     
putter2
I like the idea of a round ottoman in the middle.....and let that be a different fabric to take the place of the rug, which I'd remove. I'd also get a bigger, more useful table in between the two chairs....one someone can put a drink on. And I think more light in the back corners.....maybe comtemporary standing lamps with light shades, or big sconces - electrified or candles - on the wall flanking the cupboard.
February 9, 2013 at 5:21PM     
putter2
A large round tray on top of the ottoman to serve as a coffee table....
February 9, 2013 at 5:22PM   
saltcitybabe
I still think a huge sheepskin rug to warm up all the blue. By the way, the blue accent wall is a nice color. It's so hard to decide on blue shades. Also, in the georgous focal point, would you try some books on the lower shelves? I would like to hunker down and put me feet up and read of meditate in here.......where to put my feet?
February 9, 2013 at 5:59PM     
PRO
Deseo, LLC
Also, you have a Great opportunity with the bookcase to Visually enlarge the room. Add crown or trim and extend to the ceiling as well as width of the room. Hang an x-large picture in the middle, this statement piece will set the tone for the space, a modernly framed art piece with clean lines will add a much more modern touch, whereas an ornately framed, high gloss white possibly will be a fun eclectic touch. The rug, though, is just simply too small. This is one of The most common mistakes homeowners make, a larger size may cost more, but a good rug is a nice investment, keep that in mind when choosing color of any rug.
February 9, 2013 at 6:05PM     
kspin
Keeper
February 9, 2013 at 6:55PM   
flgrandma
I didn't realize that you had wall to wall carpet in the room. If that is the case, don't use a rug over it. I love the colorful ottoman from above suggested by judyg. By the way, I have the very same bookcase in my sitting room.
February 9, 2013 at 7:02PM     
GEE Contracting and Development
I love your colors but rather than the boring ottoman try some of the Sphinx rugs suggested I think they would be perfect. This would give you walking and floor space to sit and read or play games. If I hear or see one more idea about a leather ottoman I will scream, they should all be burned, the fabric ones I can tolerate. Good luck deciding.
February 9, 2013 at 7:20PM   
erinedmonton
large round white or light colored rug
February 9, 2013 at 7:46PM   
bkrnana6
Yes, I like the rug.
February 9, 2013 at 8:03PM     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Paint all the walls the blue. The windowless walls in a separate color are closing in the room. Add a LARGE scaled mirror over the settee and a pair of swing arm wall mounted lamps (cord covers are fine) in white, antique brass or bronze finish. Switch the tables so that the lamp is between the two chairs and hang a large scaled grouping of white matted prints grouped tightly together over the pair of chairs (fill the wall). A round ottoman would unify the space. A larger hemp or jute rug would add texture, a warm contrast to the blue and contribute to a seaside scheme. Fill the bottom two shelves of the cabinet with books, boxes or baskets to give it weight.
February 9, 2013 at 8:12PM     
Renee Prestridge
I agree with several others.I also think the room is beautiful as is.I would like to have it in my house too.
February 10, 2013 at 12:38AM     
Darzy
I just noticed this thread with so many comments so had to take a peek. My first thought was what a LOVELY room! I think the rug works nicely. Ideas: The second one is 30".
Riau Woven Fiber Round Coffee Table
Oly Studio Adeline Coffee Table
February 10, 2013 at 12:56AM     
PRO
LOPFURNITURE
You should definitely keep the rug. It makes the room less pretentious; like it is a room where you can relax ...Which is what we in Scandinavia would call cozy :)
February 10, 2013 at 1:00AM     
PRO
While i normally agree with the thoughts of Tres McKinney in regards to painting all the walls the same color as I dislike accent walls. i usually say if you are not brave enought to paint the whole room that color then dont just paint one wall. In this room, the accent color wall really works! just needs art and or mirror on walls. Do wish that rug were larger.
February 10, 2013 at 4:44AM     
flgrandma
Please send a photo of the room after you decide on the rug and table. I really like this room and think the only thing missing is a strip of police tape to keep out kids and men. This has to be a women only room.
February 10, 2013 at 4:58AM     
pharkins
Thank you for all of your fabulous comments! I appreciate the time you took to share your ideas. The sitting room is 9'9.5" x 10'. Ceiling is 10' with crown & baseboard molding, wall to wall 18" tile laid on the diagonal and light beige walls. There are four pot lights in the space and electrical in the middle to add a light fixture. I will be adding a flush mount light and lighting to the top row of the bookcase.

The bookcase wall needed the Spectra Blue #2049-50 by Benjamin Moore to make it pop. The off white bookcase on the beige wall was lost and blah. I do have artwork for the other two walls. Behind the wall of the settee is a large eat in kitchen that opens to the living room. The back wall of my condo is predominately glass. Windows in the kitchen and three pain sliding glass door in the living room.

My design aesthetic is a mixture of coastal, shabby chic and eclectic. I select neutral furniture and add color with accessories, pillows, art and paint.

I loved the colors of the striped rug but it was too small for the space. I did turn it and try it on the diagonal but neither option worked. As a result, I returned the rug yesterday. I broke a cardinal rule and purchased the two blue chairs since they were and incredible deal. Lesson learned: buy what you love and stick to the rules that work well for you. The blue chairs were also too small for the space and they also were returned.

I agree that the bookcase does need some editing. I am having fun playing and trying some of your suggestions. The sitting room now looks like an accessory bomb hit it.

Attached are some pics of the space with the rug turned the other direction, no rug and the pillows I had made for the settee.

Thanks again!
February 10, 2013 at 9:30AM     
flgrandma
Love your pillows.
February 10, 2013 at 9:40AM     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I love that you have been brave with that luscious turquoise color. The new pillows on the settee are great. If the striped rug is available in a larger size I think it could work turned as you show it in the most recent photo which makes the room look wider. The two tones of blue and the warm accent of gold stripes warms the color palette and ties the furniture together. You are doing a great job. It will all come together with a few small tweaks.
February 10, 2013 at 9:51AM     
laursiedoone
I LOVE this room. It's gorgeous. I think it's stylish and pretty but homely, welcoming and personal too. I think the rug looks great, ties in so well with the scheme and makes the room a little more casual. Any runway effect will dissapear with a lovely plump round ottoman. I'd love to see what else you've done in your house!
February 10, 2013 at 9:56AM     
Annette
I LOVE this room too! I would go with something big and bold like the "Amy Butler Hand-Tufted Wool Rug-Coventry" instead of the stripes, or the Flora Blue that LB Interiors posted. I think it needs to be big enough to leave only a 12" border of floor showing evenly. Stunning room!
February 10, 2013 at 10:38AM     
debsio
I was wondering if you could center angle love seat in left back corner with rug and place chairs across from love seat for a conversation area. The bookshelf might look good staying on same wall only moved to the right or placed where chairs were
February 10, 2013 at 10:39AM   
ktiquet
Where Dido youreturn those chairs I want togobuy them they would be perfect. For my space you have beautiful taste. Love the new pillows
February 10, 2013 at 11:08AM   
pharkins
Chairs and settee are from Pier One. You can find the Fionn Chair - Blue Velvet at http://www.pier1.com/Fionn-Chair---Blue-Velvet/2526832,default,pd.html.
February 10, 2013 at 12:01PM     
Rosemarie
You had what you liked!! Trust your own instincts! You unknowingly mirrored the shape of the bookcase with the rug--a perfect design trick for a small room that came to you naturally and made the room so inviting!
February 10, 2013 at 12:19PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Just saw the new pillows. Love them, love that you used a pattern.

If you prefer a
aqua print - paint the legs white
Gerber Square Ottoman, Surf
casual beachy style Free Trade Pouf
dressed up style - paint the legs white
Bach Admiral Round Mohair Ottoman
soft fabric with storage - paint the legs white Alanna Storage Ottoman
February 10, 2013 at 12:36PM     
Linda Anthony
OK! Now the furniture legs are on the rug - perfect. It accents the room beautifully, as stated by Rosemarie (just a couple comments above this). Move your table (with lamp) inward, enough that if you were sitting on the couch, you could EASILY set a tea-cup on the end table w/o twisting your arm or body. Likewise, please move your two chairs off the wall about 6 inches. Now, final choice is an ottoman so it could be utilized as extra seating if needed. What a difference changing direction of the rug! You have excellent taste, so now all you need to do is choose an ottoman! Congrats!
February 10, 2013 at 12:51PM   
mzlove
I'm confused! I loved the original space except for a few minor details. It's a smaller, cozy space - to me the size of the chairs seem fine! I would have kept them and please don't do a major redo as some have suggested. Your choice of wall paint is beautiful also.
February 10, 2013 at 1:05PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
@ Linda, I wasn't suggesting to paint the sofa legs. It would be primarily for a softer contrast, only the ottoman legs that I posted. I also mentioned in an earlier post to move the tables away from the wall and you added for setting a tea cup. Thanks, that adds another benefit for moving the tables.
February 10, 2013 at 1:18PM     
Linda Anthony
Another reason for moving the chairs off the wall is if someone sits down and the chair happens to move backwards and/or head will hit the wall when sitting down. It will showcase the chairs/couch much better too. Common mistake is to have furniture almost touch the wall.
February 10, 2013 at 2:36PM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Yes, bring chairs forward. The rug works nice. What are you going to do for your coffee table?
February 10, 2013 at 2:41PM   
nononanna
Maybe pull the orange/rust color of the one stripe with one accent piece?
February 10, 2013 at 2:47PM     
olldroo
Just to be different, I really like the room without a rug at all, but then I do like things to be clean and uncluttered. Didn't realise your floor was tile, in which case, yes you do need a rug to cosy the room up. Personally I would go for a flokati to keep it simple, especially with your new cushions - like them very much.

Have you thought about replacement chairs? Loved the colour you had and wondering about a tub chair to echo the shape of your settee, not take up more space in the room and keep the blue. Do have to be careful selecting tub chairs, some of them can be very uncomfortable.
February 10, 2013 at 4:11PM     
abbshel
I think the direction of the rug looks so much better now and I like your room overall!
February 10, 2013 at 4:27PM     
Janie Pollard
How about a Burlap Pouf like this one on Etsy
February 10, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Janie Pollard
Or this color..
February 10, 2013 at 5:20PM     
mzlove
I like the round woven one.
February 10, 2013 at 5:47PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Oh Linda Anthony, I'm so sorry about the above comment. I misinterpreted what you stated. I apologize!
February 10, 2013 at 6:05PM     
momsonedge
February 10, 2013 at 6:08PM   
saltcitybabe
me too on the round woven coffee table. Since I am alone on the big sheepskin rug (for warmth and texture) How about some throws the color of the settee for the chairs. Again, books and baskets in the bookcase. One thing for sure, you have had the world weigh in on your room.
February 10, 2013 at 6:10PM     
Linda Anthony
no problem - I knew it was an honest mistake LB :)
February 10, 2013 at 7:11PM     
Tiffany
Well, I guess I got here a bit too late for the furniture and rug in this picture to be relevant. Regardless, I think this space would look absolutely amazing with beadboard. I played with a really basic photo editor to give you an idea, thus the funky colors. If you're not up for the commitment, you could always try a beadboard patterned vinyl stick on. I've seen them available all over the internet.

I actually work at a Pier 1, so your design aesthetic is right up my alley. I think this wall decor piece from Pier 1 could look good with your space. Hope this helps.
February 10, 2013 at 7:34PM     
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
Parkins,
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS ROOM! The Original Room. And especially the orignal rug placement. Super pro! I was impressed by the dynamic composition of the design. The rectangular bookcase mirrored by the matching shape rectangular rug. The CARPET as originally placed was PERFECTION! It was in fact the rug that pulled me into this conversation. I can't believe this owner is not a pro the way the carpet was just muted enough to ground the spectacular wall color. I love the rug on top of carpet, it really works here. Just add pictures, and a glass coffee table or an ottoman.

My feeling, design is like great art, and I do not mean to offend, and apologize if I do, but I do not tie myself to rules of thumb. (If all of design were rules, who would need designers?)

This one works, it's out of the box! Putting the rug the other way, is not dynamic, it is just an ordinary answer in my mind.
February 10, 2013 at 8:08PM     
ka1tlyn
I love it
February 10, 2013 at 8:18PM     
debsio
I like this room and I would keep rug. I only made the suggestion to caddy corner love seat in left corner with rug in front of it because I thought you were unsure of the rug size and stripes. I thought a diagonal grouping of the furniture might give a different perspective. Good job. I can't believe you received so many comments. I think it is because everyone liked it so much they wanted to claim it as their own. Bookcase is scraped beautifully. I also think it could provide a beautiful backdrop to love seat if you played with it. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your arrangement. Your pieces are a good scale for the room and you have many options if you get tired of your arrangement. Wonderful choices!
February 11, 2013 at 7:05AM     
PRO
Everything is possible in design and it is fun to hear other points of view.
February 11, 2013 at 9:11AM     
PRO
It is interesting what an important part the lamp and lampshade play in this setting. Anchoring, from this end, and setting up, the palette. It is a perfect color reflection of the Bookcase on a smaller scale. Awesome!
February 11, 2013 at 9:16AM     
Alison Jordan
The attached photo is reminded me of your room
March 23, 2013 at 6:34PM     
emmz83
I say the rug is a total do! It looks like this room is quite narrow so having the stripes on the rug going horizontal will make the room feel wider. I love this room its so adorable!!
March 23, 2013 at 6:37PM   
PRO
Revisited this posting, and I was reading one poster's comment that there is an alter affect going on here. I love this room completely as it is, but if I were to add a tweak, I would put pictures on each of the facing walls.

Perhaps two long narrow horizontal pictures one above the other on each of the facing walls. Very simple, very narrow wood frame, with a natural white mat cut with a narrow I/4" or 5/16" step ( a second mat color under the white mat) which would be in your blue, the same or deeper. Then, go on art.com or Allposters.com, or look in your photographs and/or keepsakes. You literally can copy a series of small items like pen and ink shells or painted tea cups, or black and white intaglio prints, etc.

This is one idea, but something on each wall would, perhaps, ground the setting a little more. But, if you didn't do that, why mess with success?
March 24, 2013 at 8:34AM     
alindalc
What about turning the rug at an angle and possibly removing one of the chairs, especially if adding an ottoman or table?
March 24, 2013 at 10:14AM   
marnette
I love the blue accent chairs do you mind telling me where you purchased them?
March 24, 2013 at 10:24AM   
bkrnana6
Love this room!! I would suggest a piece of art
On the two empty facing walls and a floor lamp
In right corner next to bookcase. Your rug is
Wonderful!
March 24, 2013 at 5:24PM   
feeny
@marnette: I know the thread is long, but if you read it carefully you'll see your question has already been answered. She purchased the chairs and settee from Pier One.
March 25, 2013 at 5:01AM     
Diane
Wow. Changing to direction of the stripes made such a positive difference! Some other patterns would work better than the stripes, but this looks really good if you want to wait on a new rug while you get other pieces for the room.
March 27, 2013 at 7:43PM   
mishbooth
I think a fluffy shag in a creamy hue would tie in better.
March 27, 2013 at 7:50PM   
Penny Crawford
psbeachnp Love the rug but agree with putting the feet of the furniture on the rug. Also like the idea of clustering the blue glass/ shells, etc as was mentioned earlier in the bookcase. Add some art to the walls but not too dramatic to take away from the bookcase. Add an ottoman or foot stool and I would live to curl up with a good book.
March 27, 2013 at 7:56PM   
Linda Anthony
how about a final, updated pic for the dozens of posters here?
March 22, 2014 at 3:27PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.