Users
How can I remove this stucco?
kaitlyn_r_e
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It's inside covering the window wall of the livingroom
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
First, are you certain it is stucco? If it is a small sledge hammer, a pry bar and a lot of muscle and willpower are needed to take it down. Stucco is laid on wire mesh usually attached to a plywood substrate with staples. It is reinforced concrete, ferrocement. Hard as hammered hockey pucks. Taking it out is dirty and makes a huge mess so site protection and clean up are important. There is a possibility it is a drywall texture (yow!) and can be scraped off. Try that first. If it is super hard you are back to the hammer and wrecking bar.
February 8, 2013 at 10:58AM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I once took a tour of the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky(?) They have asphalt paved walkways in the cave. I asked the Ranger how they got that done in the fragile cave environment. He said, "With great difficulty".
February 8, 2013 at 10:59AM     
rinqreation
If it is what I think it is (is the plaster a bit chewy?), a heat gun, a trowel/palette knife and lots of patience will do. If it's dry&hard&white, it's probably stucco, you could try a grater. Good luck.
February 8, 2013 at 11:16AM     
maureenroth
We had very heavily textured walls and ceilings in our basement, done 30+ years ago. It took tons of spraying water and scraping and a huge mess, but we did it ourselves. The key was to get it wet.
February 8, 2013 at 12:44PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I just tore out an archway in a penthouse. It was originally an out side wall. The former owners enclosed the terrace. It took two guys a sledge hammer and metal cutters to do the very messy job. The metal cutters is for the wire mesh holding the stucco on the wall.
February 8, 2013 at 12:51PM   
maureenroth
Best to try a small test area. If it's real stucco, good luck. If it was an inside wall though, it might just be one of those lightweight finishes that used to be popular (for the life of me though, I can't figure out why).
February 8, 2013 at 12:58PM     
More Discussions
Need help with my living room
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still...
Rug ok?
Does this rug look too small? Wrong color? Too much...
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
Facia & soffit color?!
What facia color would you go with? I'm thinking Briarwood...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.