Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ha! I think this rug is too small!
aclark900
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It's a 5x8...but it looks too small! What are your recommendations?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Seriously? Of course it is too small. Put it somewhere else. You need to find a bigger one for that room.
10 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:15PM
PRO
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 1:21PM
aclark900
Hey Interiors International!! Yes, I'm being serious. Why do you think I asked the freakin question. JERK.
7 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:29PM
Aggie Purvinska
The rug is great color and pattern wise, though.
4 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:35PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Aclark900, you did a great job so far, the style of the rug is perfect for your room. The circles are a nice counterpoint to all the linear aspects. Like L said, the rug should be big enough so the chairs all sit on it even when being sat on. Can you find the same one or similar and use that one somewhere else?
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:43PM
aclark900
Yes, there is a bigger one, 8x10 that I think will look perfect. We have been saving for 10 years to put down a nice down payment on our house. We went from 1,200 sq ft and one bathroom to 4,000 sq ft and six bathrooms. So, needless to say, I'm a little overwhelmed with decorating. I appreciate all of your suggestions and support.
4 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 1:53PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Aclark900, I have a bit of time at the moment, if I can assist, I would be pleased to do so. Enjoy your home, that's the main thing!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 1:59PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Measure the table, add approx. 3 feet to width and length, and try to keep 2 feet away from the wall if possible for the best fit.
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:04PM
orangecamera
Susan, I'm curious. Do you mean 3 feet total in each direction (18" extra on each side all the way around)? Is that enough for pulling out a chair far enough to sit in it, before scooching in closer to the table?

Thanks.
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
Studio NOO Design
I agree but only 2 feet are needed behind each chair, that's the way to do it. Good luck !
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Two feet behind each chair is best but you can manage with 1.5 each. If your dining table is seven feet , then a 8x10 rug will work.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:25PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Although your room looks like it could handle a 10x12, which would be better. What is your table size and the room measurements?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:34PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
I want to say that if you put a rug under this table like Susan Mills Design suggests and she is correct in everything she's said, it appears to me that you'll be in the walkway. I can't tell for certain. IMO I think you could go "rugless" and put a "bling" chandelier over the table, use that as your eye candy, really jazz up your table decorations/place settings and instead of all the matching chairs, possibly change out the 2 end chairs with something really cool. This is just my opinion, but I'm worried about foot traffic and tripping over a rug. And I think I spot a baby gate in the picture as well.

Don't call me a jerk like you did the guy above...!!
9 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:44PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Lovely Aja, I ( we) am certainly tring to forward my profile on HOUZZ, as I feel it is a truly prolific worldwide phenomenan......and it is nice to be a good vibration and share....
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:46PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Aja, this site has become a very welcome place for the design community. Most designers LOVE what they do and are passionate about it. After going through a very traumatic illness with a son, and then being rear ended on top of that, I myself am getting both my life and my business back together. I cannot speak for everyone on here but I as a person also likes to volunteer my time and have done so for everything from Big Brothers to homeless shelters. It's not always about money. It's about being a human being.
21 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:46PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
@ curb appeal........I agree, I suggested something fun from "shakuff" for lighting.....profile on houzz, all american made product......lovely, splendid , relevent, stuff.......
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:48PM
Paige Huffman
aclark900..congratulations on your new home! There are many unforeseen expenses when you buy a new, larger home. Yes, a bigger rug will work much better for you in the long run, but until you replace items like this, I suggest simply pulling the chairs off the heads of the table and use elsewhere in your new wonderful home. This way, the remaining chairs sit on the rug and look more balanced..and Im certain you have a place for two coordinating chairs elsewhere! And remember..designers are just that..designers..never an excuse to be rude to anyone! Cheers!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:53PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Good point curbappeal, I would love to see a floor plan of the room. In a post quite awhile ago, I mentioned I have a two page questionnaire I give my clients. In order to do the best job we can we really need to know how the room is used, who uses it, the size of it, traffic patterns and much more. We really do take a shot in the dark sometimes here giving advice before we know everything!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:53PM
aclark900
@ curb appeal renovations-I totally appreciate your comments!! The baby gate is a "dog gate" although I do have a 2 yr old son & 3 year old daughter, the dogs tend to create more havoc than kids! Rug-less could be a great idea!! And sorry, just did not care for that guys comment above. This does not come so easily for some of us.
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:58PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I think like everything else in life, just because we understand what we do, does not mean that the people who post questions do, or why would they? Anyone posting a question on this forum is asking from a genuine desire to have it answered. As professionals we should answer in a way that enlightens and does not infer criticism, or suggest they are clueless. I am grateful for this site, I don't like to see some of what I have been seeing lately, which is that some are taking a higher than thou attitude. I am not saying that happened on this page. I leave it to everyone to look at themselves.
10 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:04PM
Aja Mazin
aclark900, ,

Did the rug shrink?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:10PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
@ Aja... personally, no, I do not..however, .this is sort of a design free-for-all as I understand it... and I would hope that we would be polite en-mass, understanding that people are opening themselves up here...I would hope it would be a positive forum...
5 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:11PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
Aja in response to your comment, I have a BFA degree in interior design and I have passed the NCIDQ exam. I, like Susan Mills, love to help people and why not? When you give, it comes back tenfold.

And aclark900...I SO get the dog situation!! I have 4 dog gates up in my house, tile throughout and my dining room has NO dogs allowed...something to think about when you put that rug under that table! Even our family room where we do have a rug, I had Fiberseal come out and treat it as soon as we put it down! For some reason if they're going to have that accident, it's always on the rug. Ugh...!
5 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:14PM
onthefence
I imagine myself buying a new dress. When I put it on I'm a little unsure of how it looks. It isn't as great as I thought it was going to be. So I ask someone I respect and they say 'seriously? of course you look bad. go change clothes'.

The initial comment may not have been meant to insult...but it does read that way to me.
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:15PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Aja.....check my threads, I have not noticed "punks'.....although, I loved 'Blondie' and 'Squeeze' I am not truly a "punk" so just trying to get where this is going......as I said, I like answering things I think I can offer a relevent take on and that's really it....
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 4:56PM
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
aclark900...it's your thread. Take all the advice like you want. IMO, I'd leave the rug out for now, focus more on what's eye level or above, not what's underfoot and can be ruined very easily. Aja has a good point...pillows would be nice in the chairs, but the chairs look slick and I'm afraid they'd slide right off. One thing no one has mentioned...at least that I've read, is window treatments. I don't see any. That would be a great investment over a rug, any day. First and foremost because it will protect anything else you put in that room from any sun damage...unless of course you're in Alaska where you'd probably want the sun...but I don't think you are for some reason!

Keep us posted on your progress!!
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:17PM
Emily Hurley
Hey everyone, Just popping in with a reminder to keep it positive and on topic. There is room enough for everyone to participate and help out in design dilemmas, but let's remember we are here to help. If you don't feel the dilemma is an appropriate one, your best bet is to skip it and help out on others.

Thanks!
14 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:22PM
Aja Mazin
I am cursed with a phenomenal memory.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 5:47PM
Jean Tuck
In my humble opinion your rug should be well out around seating as they are pushed in at table.You have captured the colors in the drawing on the wall and the rug in the whole room, way to goo. Id like to see this rug used maybe in an entrance way, or possibly in a spare room.
2 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:59PM
twylahaj
As a person who put a rug under the dining table, I recommend removing the rug completely. I am forever having to vacuum up crumbs and such from the rug! Put good felt pads on the bottoms of the chair legs to preserve the flooring and use that beautiful rug elsewhere. Keep the colors and pattern in mind when selecting placemats or runners or whatever soft goods you'll use on the table to incorporate the great circles and cooling grays. And I agree with the person who said to change out the light fixture to a chandelier that really works with your style if you can. The shiny brass doesn't seem in keeping with the rest of your sense of style for this room. You do seem to have a good eye for color and pattern, so don't get discouraged about one size mistake. 5x8 seems large until you start to realize the table is about 3x8.
5 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:21PM
aclark900
The light fixture is Satin nickle, but maybe it appears brass in the picture! But, I do agree, I think it needs to be bigger. : )
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 4:38AM
pivoines
The vote is more to removing the rug altogether , I agree with them and also drapes with a nice colorful pattern as you chose for the rug would do wonders for the room, the idea of a much larger chandelier or pendant light fixture is great also, would ground the room, and, would you lower the picture about 3-4 inches .I think it is just a tad too high. great room! I also think you need a nice large bright centerpiece, or add a candlestick on either side of the one you have about a foot apart.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 5:09AM
zenhome
Unbelievable how a so called professional "Interiors International" would respond in such a rude and unprofessional manner. Comments like this DO get noticed.

Fortunately we have designers such as Susan Mills who respond because they take a genuine interest in helping people and are passionate about design. Kudos to you!
5 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 9:48AM
Aja Mazin
The rug is fine~ keep it!

You need a smaller table.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 10:23AM
Susanna
Susan, I hope you and your son are doing well now.
As for the rug, I can't wait to see the solution, rug or no rug...
1 Like   February 14, 2013 at 1:12AM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Susanna, yes thank you. And yes I think that is what it must stand for, I'm still searching for them too;)
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 1:19AM
Aja Mazin
Susan Mills Design,

''If your dining table is seven feet , then a 8x10 rug will work."

I THINK NOT.,

I agree with orangecamera.

18" is not enough room to pull out the chair prior to sitting down when one considers the depth of each chairs seat.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 4:26AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@aclark900 , Not a jerk just thought it was obvious. sorry.
@Susan Mills Design I most certainly do not feel like I am "a higher than thou attitude." I can't believe you are judge me by one comment . I am consistently in the top 10 posters and am always positive and try to be helpful.
@a higher than thou attitude.
@ zenhome " a so called professional "Interiors International" would respond in such a rude and unprofessional manner." I am a professional and didn't intend to be rude. It was just so obvious
I thought she was kidding. She did start her post with the word "HA!" It would not be the first it I cam across a light hearted joking post. I never intended to be rude and frankly you were by jumping to such a conclusion. If you would have given me the benefit of the doubt like some of the others that would have been kind of you.

My apologies to all who thought I has being hurtful. I certainly never meant to be.
I also thank the one person here who kindly brought this character attack to my attention.
I am always trying to be helpful. I give a ton of my time on this site doing just that. You should all be ashamed of your selves. Judging without seeing the hundreds upon hundreds of post I do. You do not stay in the top 20 consistently without giving a lot.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:51AM
bubblyjock
Oh, c'mon you lot, where's the luuurve: this is Valentine's Day!!!

My thoughts, as a total non-pro, are, nice big dining table, lovely bright room! How about this: try rotating the table 90 degrees for a while. This would mean that half the guests wouldn't be squinting into the sun, while the other half are looking into the house. It doesn't look like you have room to leave the chairs at the short ends of the table if you do this, though so they could maybe sit elsewhere - in the corners of the room, perhaps?

And ime if one has dogs, then a carpet under a dining table is a royal nuisance - at 8 chairs, 4 legs each, plus the table legs - that's an awful lot of irritated nudging to vacuum up the hairy dust-bunnies stuck to the carpet! Also, I suspect that there's so much natural light coming through those lovely big windows that the exposed floor will gradually change colour, whereas the carpeted colour won't, and that might not be pleasing.
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 7:10AM
pivoines
OK leave the subject alone , it is done , it has been dealt with , lets deal with the subjects at hand . Please
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:19AM
judianna20
dining This houzz ideabook on how to size a rug, suggests 24" added around the table, but I always try to do 36" if space allows. If I can't do the correct size, I do no rug at all.

Great rug, however. Would it fit in an adjoining room…kitchen? Would it be worth hanging on the wall?
Sona's Art Studio
0 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
style suggestions for 2 counter stools requested
i still need to buy 2 counter stools for my newly renovated...
nnigrt
Updating bathroom tile
I have a typical 50's style bathroom with tile on the...
endresultlaura
Contractors, Plumbers - Please help with my water heater fan noise!
I just moved into a new home - new construction. The...
doctornancy
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.