Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for sun deck design
lcraig15
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Would like some ideas how to modernize this cedar deck. Want a stone finish and the stairs to go down to a patio and some type of partial cover
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I saw a house in Fl. that used sail cloth and created a double sail canopy. You might be able to find these already made. I have seen similar ones at hotels and other buildings. They really look cool.
February 8, 2013 at 1:54PM     
Aja Mazin
What lush grass!

What is your secret?
February 9, 2013 at 9:06PM   
olldroo
I'm a little unsure of the area you refer to - are you talking about the upper area, the middle level or are you wanting to extend the lower level with a patio? For the very top area a covered pergola would be very useful but would reduce light into the house unless you used a clear covering and clear coverings can be very hot to sit under in summer.

I don't know your area or your weather but if you just want shade then shade sails made from shade mesh are excellent, they come in a lot of colours and add beauty to your home. If you want protection from inclement weather then you would want a canvas sail cloth. I don't know availability in your area, but if you want a good sized one then it is best to have it made and fitted, the tension needed in them is the work of a professional.

Are you talking putting stone over your timber? That would be a lot of weight and your structure may not be strong enough. Is there a problem with the cedar? Timber decking is timeless, up to you whether you keep it stained, oiled or, with cedar, just allow it to age.

[houzz=swimming pool shade sails by Tenshon, LLC]

[houzz=The Castaway House]
February 9, 2013 at 9:49PM     
olldroo
Aja, a good lawn is choose the right blend for your particular area, good ground preparation before turfing or seeding and regular maintenance. I say this humbly, but our lawn is the envy of the neighbours and because it is a very soft and springy grass children just love playing on it barefoot. Sometimes our front lawn looks like the local playground. We aerate it at the beginning and in the middle of summer, feed it regularly and ensure it receives adequate watering during long dry periods. We usually leave it around 1 1/2" high so as not to expose new growth or roots to prevent the hot sun or winter cold killing it off. There is probably as much work in maintaining a good lawn as there is a lovely garden.
February 9, 2013 at 9:58PM     
Aja Mazin
olldroo,

Florida is actually limited in choice of grasses.

Grasses grown in Florida are maintained in a totally different way from those grown in the northern regions of the United States.

Northern-grown grasses (e.g., fescue, bluegrass, ryegrass) will grow in Florida only during fall, winter, and early spring months, and will not survive year-round.

Bermuda is usually limited to the finer golf courses in North Florida.
February 9, 2013 at 10:11PM   
PRO
Nancy McFalls
I like the sail idea - this would add shade and a cozier feel, plus a modern/graphic element. If you want traditional, then I'd suggest a pergola... they can be made in so many styles, and covered with creeping foliage for privacy.
February 9, 2013 at 11:42PM     
Aja Mazin
I adore the Cooper House.

Of course the pergola is tried and true.
February 10, 2013 at 12:27AM     
olldroo
Aja, just Googled looking for grass ideas and it was interesting to read not to use a soft grass in the tropics. Funny mine is a soft grass and it is a tropical grass, in fact it does die off over winter, but when most other things do too it isn't an issue and our winters are quite short - a couple of weeks of sun and it comes back very quickly. We get heavy tropical rain too and it loves it. Wonder if you could import the seeds?
http://www.thelawnguide.com.au/lawn-care/lawn-varieties/35-lawn-varieties/139-queensland-blue-grass.html
February 10, 2013 at 3:37AM     
PRO
EasyTurf
Have you considered an EasyTurf lawn (www.easyturf.com)? Presently FieldTurf leads the artificial grass industry in manufacturing excellence and product innovation. EasyTurf, the landscape arm of FieldTurf, supplies turf to commercial and residential clients throughout North America. The synthetic turf looks and feels like real grass and offers many benefits - a year-round, lush green lawn; water cost savings; time and maintenance savings; and much more. Check out www.easyturf.com for more!
February 10, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Aja Mazin
olldroo,

Saint Augustine is standard for central Florida.

It is an extremely coarse grass.
February 10, 2013 at 1:07PM     
Aja Mazin
EasyTurf,

Unless water can soak through to the soil, it would be prohibited in my county.

However I like the idea that it is water saving.

Xeriscaping is promoted in Florida.
February 10, 2013 at 1:10PM   
Aja Mazin
EasyTurf,

I see there is drainage through the synthetic grass backing.

We will reach the point where lush green lawns are no longer sustainable.

We use recycled water.
February 10, 2013 at 1:20PM     
PRO
EasyTurf
Aja, if you have time check out our Authorized EasyTurf Dealer in your part of Florida. www.alternascapes.com. Not only is the EasyTurf backing the only synthetic grass with a 100% permeable, non-absorbent backing, but the installation process is so critical in artificial turf drainage. You need to have the right sub-base in order to drain effectively and that changes depending on geography. EasyTurf artificial grass has all of the benefits of permeable pavers plus the soft, lush green look and feel of a natural lawn. We are presently working on some products that have more of that St. Augustine look, but don't provide a conducive environment for those nasty fire ants! So keep an eye out for those. :-)
February 11, 2013 at 5:03PM