Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Angela
ahelton142
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This den is 14x24 . This is not our furniture we have not moved in yet. I need ideas. The floor will be staying but need to update things. On the right hand side of this pic are 2 outside doors and a double window that goes to the floor. Help !!!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dalma darling
Congrats on the new place! What will you be using the space for? Is this the main living / entertaining area in the home? No matter what, I'd remove the wallpaper ribbon around the room and the curtians on the side door.
February 26, 2013 at 9:09PM   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Do you have furniture you will be using in this room or everything will be new?Pictures of other two sides will help . You can have either a sectional or a sofa with two chairs. they can be a solid off white color with bright pillows. A rug could tie the furniture with accessories. More information could help us give specifics.
February 26, 2013 at 9:33PM   
ahelton142
I can send pics now that I moved in. This will be main living area. Will have new furniture but white is not for us. Lol
February 27, 2013 at 4:17AM   
ahelton142
More pics
February 27, 2013 at 4:36AM   
ahelton142
Well my phone is not cooperating . Ill get more later lol
February 27, 2013 at 4:37AM   
carolins
Congratulations on your new home. I like the space, fireplace, floor and windows.
How will you be using this room?
How many people, kids, dogs?
I did browse through your ideabook and saw some other posts, so I gather you want to go modern/traditional in style? Clean lines but a warm, relaxed atmosphere?

Could you also post a photo of what's behind the photographer now? Is there another door? Is it just a wall? Seems like a nice project for you. Lots of wallpaper to remove ;-)

February 27, 2013 at 4:44AM   
carolins
Sorry, while I was typing you've posted the photos :-)
February 27, 2013 at 4:45AM   
carolins
In fact, if the wallpaper is in good condition you can probably just paint over it http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/painting-over-wallpaper
February 27, 2013 at 4:49AM   
ahelton142
Yes we will be using this room. It's only me and my husband. Kids all grown .
February 27, 2013 at 5:30AM   
Jayme H.
Congrats on your new home! What type/color of furniture are you planning to get, what colors/style do you like and what do you intend to buy? This room is nice, and large enough to do a nice furniture layout in!
February 27, 2013 at 5:35AM   
ahelton142
I like maroons and lighter brown like a burlap color maybe little darker. I do have some cherry pieces I will use in there. No leather.
February 27, 2013 at 5:43AM   
Amy Stanley
I was going to suggest removing all wall paper- however after looking closer I am wondering if there is paneling behind it and if so how difficult it would be to actually remove. The border would be easy to remove, perhaps you may want to make sure paper is all secure and paint over it like someone suggested above.
February 27, 2013 at 5:51AM   
Amy Stanley
The one thing that jumps out to me is the bookshelves to the right of the fireplace I think I would paint those out to white or a shade of white, and paint the trim, chair rail and wall below the chair rail all the same. I would take the small pieces of chair rail off of the fire place wall so you are not cutting that wall in half. That would be a good wall for an accent perhaps a shade or two darker then what you choose for the rest of the room. The mantle is nice and I think if you like wood it works same with the bricks since you will use cherry pieces in the room the red brick might be nice left as is with just a good cleaning.
February 27, 2013 at 6:02AM     
ahelton142
I like the idea . Thanks !!!!!
February 27, 2013 at 9:23AM   
carolins
I agree with Amy Stanley's ideas. Would look nice if you painted the bookshelves. The furniture lay-out of the previous owners feels a bit uncomfortable, with the sofa in line with the hallway and the chair parked directly next to it.

Would you prefer a classic/traditional style? Something like this moodboard?

OP12 Hand Knotted - Opus Rugs by v
Montgomery Sofa
Riverside Fortunado Round Cocktail Table
Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore
British classics freeport end table
Mercury Glass Table Lamp
Angela Recliner Chair
Chevron Crewel Pillow Cover, Ginger/Straw

Or would you like something more contemporary? (I just love this virtual shopping, so I'd love to make a more contemporary styled one too. Will post it later for you. Just to give you some ideas :-))
February 27, 2013 at 11:14AM     
ahelton142
The sofa sets far enough back that there is no neck pain yet lol I'm not much on the modern look.
February 27, 2013 at 1:07PM   
carolins
Haha... I already thought you'd prefer the more classic style so I've deleted the more modern moodboard. We might get confused otherwise ;-)
Do you like the chair rail in this room and the two-toned walls? You could go for wallpapering over the top half and painting the bottom half perhaps?
February 28, 2013 at 12:20AM   
ahelton142
The chair rail doesn't bother me . It will have to stay. The upper is Sheetrock and the lower is tongue and groove. Thought I would paint it all one color leaving color if chair rail as is for now. I do like the idea of painting wall fireplace is on a little darker.
February 28, 2013 at 4:08AM   
carolins
Will you be keeping the furniture you have in the room now? From the computer screen it's always hard to tell what the colours are. Brown sofa and a grey and beige chair?
I love that you have two identical bookcases.

For now I would pull all the curtains over to the sides and just leave them hanging, freeing up the middle part of the window. I'm sure it will let more light into the room.

In any case, you'll need a rug that is big enough to have the front of the couch and the chairs on it. And lamps!

And painting it all one, light colour, will bring so much more light into your room.
I'll just add a couple of photos that will perhaps give you some ideas and be inspirational to you:

Classics Reinvented 1
Classics Reinvented 2
Wyndmoor Residence Living Room
Lake Washington whole house remodel
Family Room
February 28, 2013 at 7:36AM   
ahelton142
I have a piece coming to go in center if bookcase abd I don't intend to keep the furniture
February 28, 2013 at 10:05AM   
More Discussions
custom showers and bathrooms
slate tiles, granite curb, sets, shelves, heated flooring,...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
Would you replace a gorgeous (but leaky) rusty roof?
A friend of mine has a home with a rusty corrugated...
metal roof
Husband wants to put "metal roof"on our 1870 farm house....
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.