powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color do you suggest for this room?
kittt29
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are moving into our new house soon and want to get some painting done before we move in. I like the warm and cozy feeling but I'm stuck with the kitchen. Only one wall has a backsplash (orange/red glass looking brick style) that we will be keeping to start out with. The kitchen is open into the casual eating area and the family room. The cabinets and counter will remain as pictured, the floors we plan to stain a few shades darker then they are pictured. I'm not usually one for bright colors but the orange they have painted currently isn't too bad and is growing on me, but I would like to bring it down a notch or two. The whole area gives off an orange looking cast to the room with the floors, cabinets, and backsplash. Should I look for a more subdued orange or is there another color I can use that won't clash with the backsplash? I appreciate any and all suggestions! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kittt29
Views from the family room and from the kitchen out...
February 8, 2013 at 4:03pm   
Jayme H.
what colors are the counters? Are they a tannish?
February 8, 2013 at 4:05pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think I would look to the red furniture when you consider a wall color. I, personally, do not care for the round black rug and the black panels covering the windows. I also think that whatever color you choose for that walls should be used on the entire space. I would look for a patterned rug for the living area and the dining area that would be larger than what you have. Choose something that has more multi color..not dominant black or red. From the rug, choose a neutral color that is not dominant in the rug and use it on the walls. Maybe roman shades on the windows as there is not enough room for panels on the fireplace side. It is a fantastic space and a really great kitchen.
February 8, 2013 at 4:15pm     
kittt29
Thank you Barbara, we are excited about the space we will have to work with! I'm sorry I didn't make it clear earlier, we haven't moved in yet and this is the sellers furniture, so picture it without all the furnishings if you can. It's all more modern then our style.

You did hit on another question though, should we paint the entire area (kitchen through to the family room) the same color or what about using a similar color, just a few shades off to distinguish the areas a little more?

Curtains will be the next project. The ones near the fireplace are slim but I definitely need to get something for all the windows that adds privacy.

Jayme, the counters do have a hint of gray to them.
February 8, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Jayme H.
I would look at a grey-beige like color, could be used throughout.
February 8, 2013 at 4:31pm   
Jayme H.
I wonder if Ben Moore's Clay Beige would work?
February 8, 2013 at 5:14pm   
Jayme H.
Also in second row to the far left
February 8, 2013 at 5:16pm   
kittt29
I will try a sample of the Clay Beige Jayme, thanks! Do you think that will be enough of a contrast with the counters?
February 8, 2013 at 5:55pm     
Jayme H.
I wish I knew the answer to that...it is so hard to tell from computer monitors how things will look..and paint seems to always look darker on the walls than the swatches...There are darker shades on the Ben Moore neutral palette also...to consider.
February 8, 2013 at 6:21pm   
kittt29
True Jayme lol I'm sure you don't have that magical power to know! I'm going to get a few samples to try in there. I also want to try something with a little more color so I will try a variety. Thanks for your suggestions!
February 8, 2013 at 7:32pm     
Jayme H.
lol!!! Good start!!
February 8, 2013 at 7:34pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I always choose paint last. Wait until you know all the colors & patterns that you will use in the area. Your choices will become more obvious then. Even neutrals have a direction..grays are either to the blue tone or the beige tone. Beiges are either to the yellow tone or the pink tone.
February 8, 2013 at 7:41pm     
kittt29
That does make sense Barbara, I guess we were just trying to get a jump on things and make it easier by painting before we moved in. The family room will be almost all new furniture (shopping Sunday!) so we will have more of an idea after that. The kitchen itself should be easy enough to paint down the road and I may end up liking the current color, but I did want to tie in all the connected rooms more with the wall color. Do you have an opinion on using the same color throughout or can I vary it some?
February 8, 2013 at 7:59pm   
Jayme H.
OIC...I thought u already had furniture...by all means don't make a choice until you have taken all of the above into consideration...I misunderstood by not reading all the posts.
February 8, 2013 at 8:03pm     
Jean Tuck
In the kitchen, orange not being my color choice I would paint orange walls same color as light switch cover is.Kitchen chairs to be covered with color blends incorporating 2 rooms for uniform design.Nice spaceto work with. I would use a softer complimentary sofa covers for the room to make spacious by colors All three areas I feel might best express elegantce by keeping colors similar in gradual tones.
February 8, 2013 at 8:05pm     
Jayme H.
I did read that clay beige is a "chameleon color"...able to pick up either cool or warm tones...Per Better Homes and Gardens...if that is of any assistance.
February 8, 2013 at 8:25pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
In this combined area, I would paint it all one color.
February 8, 2013 at 8:36pm     
Jayme H.
I would also paint it all one...we are re-doing our open kitchen, dining, living areas and I am planning to use one color..
February 8, 2013 at 8:37pm   
mamachers
I love the orange color myself, but a beautiful yellow would be nice too. Try a sample of Ben moore Concord Ivory. I think it is a perfect yellow.
February 8, 2013 at 8:42pm     
PRO
Miller's Paint & Wallpaper
A few things for you to consider. Since your kitchen goes directly into your family room you want to have a smooth transition. What furniture are you putting in the family room? What colors are the furniture? Is the furniture solid or not? You do not have to use the same color through out both rooms if you do not want to for it looks like you have breaks in the wall, but the colors have to work together. As far as your kitchen goes, once that orange is gone you are pretty neutral and can do a lot. Without knowing you and just looking at a photo I feel a good designer can't pick just one color that would work for YOU. I suggest that you look at the Historical colors Ben.Moore paints have. They give you a lot of color yet are not stark or in your face. Keep in mind the tone of wood in your cabinets and the color you pick for your walls should be lighter or darker than the cabinets as to give you depth. The best way to pick your color is pull from something you want to use in your kitchen ...it can be as simple as finding some artwork for the walls, curtains, etc. and then pull the color from that. I also suggest that you paint a poster board (not the wall) with the colors you are thinking about. The reason for that is colors work off the colors they have around them and by painting a board you can move the board around the room and put it up against the OBJECTS THAT ARE GOING TO STILL BE THERE to get the true color. If you paint a spot on the wall the orange or off white that is there now will reflect the new color and you will not see the true new color. Ben Moore has pint size color samples that you can buy that are not expensive. Good Luck and I hope this helps a little.
February 8, 2013 at 8:44pm     
chickinvic
I really like the orange color that's there already - I guess I'm in the minority on that. I'm not sure I love it with the color of the cabinets though.
February 8, 2013 at 9:19pm   
kittt29
The orange that's in the kitchen currently isn't horrible and accents the backsplash, but not really my preference either. We had our house inspection today (everything went great!) and we are going to do some furniture shopping this weekend and next. I guess I need to focus on choosing those items first and then see what compliments the furnishings. I also think though that the orange paint with the cabinets and floor gives the room an orangish tint and that's what I want to get rid of. We are going to refinish the wood floors and stain them darker but I don't know if that will resolve the problem.

I love the tip about painting the poster board rather then sections of the wall. One of those simple things I never would have thought of, thank you for that Miller's Paint!

My fiancée wants some sense of separation in the rooms so we are playing with the idea of using a lighter color in the kitchen (it gets a lot of sunlight) and then for the family room going a shade or 2 darker from the same paint strip. Is that just a bad idea all around? I know many of you suggested all one color but we are still throwing ideas around.
February 9, 2013 at 11:05am   
4resas
You need to have a 2 shade separation in colors in order to actually detect the deference. If you only go 1 shade different the eye reads it as a shadow, not a distinct color.
February 9, 2013 at 11:22am     
color1235
You will be living in this room, so think of the emotions you would like for your rooms to evoke. If you don't have a lot of natural light, stay with light shades with yellow undertones for warmth. Shades of ivory, parchemnt, and even muted greens will look lovely. You can start with BM Philadlephia Cream and look at surrounding shades of the same weight. Make sure you make your decisions in the room your are painting. Don't ever rely on store lighting. Have fun, and best of luck in your new home.
February 9, 2013 at 12:06pm   
susanjwatts
I think a pale sage green would contrast nicely with your beautiful backsplash and since it can read as a neutral, will go well with almost any furniture so can be continued into the adjacent areas. That orange will really limit colour choices for furniture and accents.

February 9, 2013 at 12:25pm   
4resas
Blue is opposite orange on the color wheel,so it is referred to as orange's compliment. I've attached a grey look and a reddish brown look
February 9, 2013 at 12:40pm   
kittt29
I decided on a red wall in the kitchen (after buying a dozen paint samples and painting them on white posterboard which really helped me visualize the space) and I used SW Accessible Beige in the rest of the room. We are moving in less then 2 weeks, I will post pics when everything is done. I appreciate the help!
April 7, 2013 at 7:15am     
theconstantdecorator
What about a lovely soft sage green?
April 7, 2013 at 7:31am     
Ann
Wow Kittt29, I'm afraid of bold colors and wouldn't have had the nerve to do that, but I must admit, it looks very nice. Others have mentioned blue gray and sage as colors to work with since they are a compliment to your rusty red and I think that's a great idea for accents, etc. I think you'll love your new house. I look forward to pictures.
April 7, 2013 at 7:55am   
kittt29
Thanks Ann! It was a bold change for us. At our old house everything was very neutral and while we lived it we decided to adds one more color in the new house. I've always liked a red kitchen but never thought I would do it. The red isn't in the entire room so that helps a little. We are sunning some blue/gray in the attached great room.
April 7, 2013 at 8:31am   
kittt29
I do like a lot of the suggestions for sage green and the blues and grays and we did use those colors in many of our other rooms in the house. So I was definitely inspired by the advice, thank you all again!
April 7, 2013 at 8:33am   
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Do people still paint their ceilings white?
My grandmother, a lovely lady who lived in a gorgeous...
Window treatments for arched windows
Wondering if I should add panels to these windows or...
Anyone use classic gray minwax stain on oak wood floor?
Trying to find a color that is not too typical and...
Which Works Best For Florida Outdoor Furniture? Cast Iron vs Wicker
I recently noticed that some wicker products contain...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.