powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with backsplash. Have Kashmir White countertop and Java color cabinets
jasmine0
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having an extremely hard time finding backsplash that won't make the kitchen look busy. I don't want the backsplash greyish looking since there is enough grey in the Kashmire White counter top. Every sample I bring looks grey since have no light valance and the light from the potlights give an amber light. Therefore have shadows under the Java cabinets. There is lots of natural light coming from windows at the pillar near the dinette area. White glass tiles give too much glare. Maybe offset glossy/matte white backsplash would do? Can't find the right off beige glass tiles. Would off white/warm beige ceramic tiles with 3 rows of mosaic tile look okay with the countertop. Or any other suggestions please.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
kcfloor
Subway slate,,just an idea
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 4:17PM
jasmine0
Thanks. Looks greyish though
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:19PM
PRO
kcfloor
there are different colours
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:20PM
tamara682
Subway tile that looks like little bricks in an ivory.
3 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:21PM
jasmine0
Thanks tamara682. Ceramic tiles? Can't find the right ivory glass tiles - the samples I found were too yellowy
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 4:25PM
tamara682
Yes, I would use ceramic ones. I found one for my kitchen at a little tile store down the street, but there's actually nice ones at Lowes that you can find!!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:09PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I really think that white is not the way to go in your kitchen. You could do a back painted glass back splash. You have a glass company measure and cut the glass to fit. Then pick a color you like it could even be a metallic like silver. You then paint the glass do 3 coats and let dry. Attach them to the wall paint side back using a clear latex silicone. It really looks great.
Modern Kitchen
Foxtree Cove
Knight Frank LTD
JAKÉA!
Waikiki Chic 2
Wapping E1W: Stylish Wharf Flat
Or this could work too.
Kitchen Remodel
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 6:27PM
Sharon
I agree with Int Inc, in saying a glass splash back would be great . You can customise your colour.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 12:16AM
PRO
Kavanya Designs LLC
I think a modern "green-tinged/frosted" glass subway tile in a color similar to one shown in Waikiki chic 2 would look great. Neutral, contemporary and understated but elegant. I think custom anything costs a whole lot more than buying tiles and putting them on. With the dark cabinets and the beautiful Kashmir granite you don't want anything too busy for the backsplash.
2 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 12:45AM
PRO
Kavanya Designs LLC
Something like this one would be nice and neutral...with the right lighting it can make for a beautiful backsplash esp set against your dark cabinets. Some undercabinet lighting would make it really gorgeous to avoid those shadows
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202919796/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=glass+subway+tile&storeId=10051#.URYOf6uA4_s
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 12:54AM
jasmine0
Thank you for your comments Interiors International Inc.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:47AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@jasmine0 your are very welcome.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:51AM
jasmine0
Thank you Designs by Kav. i live in Toronto, Canada. Home Depot doesn't carry glass tiles like this over here. But i am going to check if any other stores carry it. I was looking at lot examples on this site and was thinking of light beige/ off white ceramic 3x6 subway tile with 3 rows of mosaic tile like the one in the following image. Any thoughts?
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 7:56AM
jasmine0
Hi Designs by Kav. I went to MSI International since they are close to me. I found the Arctic Ice - too cool for my kitchen. Saw marble calcutta with the browny and slight grey streaks but wasn't sure if too much for my kitchen. Thanks for your input.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:53AM
jasmine0
Please any comments on of these tiles. I am also considering the middle columns of light brown in the in 2 x 2 tiles. The pic with the 2 ceramic tiles was taken in the slightly sunny morning. Considering ceramic tiles with the mosaic from yeserday. Thanks
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:09AM
PRO
kcfloor
I,ll leave the comments to the professionals,,,i,ve found as an installer its personal preference anyways. If you need someone to install this Jasmine,,,inbox me,,i,ll give you a good deal :)
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:12AM
carrd12
I was leaning toward a white subway tile, until I saw your last 4 pics. Something about the 3rd one really jumps out at me. The one with rectangles with a brown and maybe greenish color? That matches perfectly with the cabinets without being too dark. I personally find the squares and the mosaics to be too busy. They look great as just a square, but when you do the whole kitchen I think it's overpowering. In the last pic on the right, the multi sized rectangles looks like it would go well too, without being too busy.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:20AM
PRO
G.Elizabeth Designs
I like your choices from the photos, it's difficult to get a real sense of the color but you seem to have a good grasp of the light etc., however, I would consider a horizontal tile rather than a square tile, it lengthens the span visually, accentuating the cupboards. Love your choices though!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:29AM
mshine
We have a similar granite and went with a 3x6" subway glass tile in a subtle shade of green. Every day I am so glad we did not busy it up with mosaic accent tiles. The backsplash recedes but elegantly envelopes the granite, and helps it remain the focal point. I was concerned with glare and have undercounter lights, but no problem...
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 8:36AM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I like something white grey based to keep it light. I have dark expresso cabinets and they rob you of natural light sometimes and to keep it fresh looking, lighter colors are better and better for resale.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:43AM
jasmine0
Thanks carrd 2. The tiles you are talking has brown and greyish color. while it looks nice - i am concerned about the wavyiness of each rectangle. Please see attached pics.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:51AM
jasmine0
Thanks mshine. What is the name of the color and from where can I get them? I am thinking of getting under cabinet led lights.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:06AM
jasmine0
Thanks G. Elizabeth Designs
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:37AM
jasmine0
Thanks CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc. Will keep your opinion in my mind.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:39AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I like tile, small tile in picture no.1 tile 2 to right. It may, the metal be a little too splashy, too reflective and too bright.

I like tile no. 4 pic 4, but I think you might go with marble, because of depth of colors.

I like these ideas, below. Please consider: you may want to consider white marble tiles, they are elegant and really bring out the dark wood cabinet color.

1. Small subway tile, light color

BY HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION

2. large thin tile, thin cut but light color. (it is similar to photo 7, post, by Interiors International

Traditional Kitchen

4. This is glass and marble tile, elongated with tones of white marble, and marblized grey marble.

pic 1: Palos Park Kitchen Renovation

5. This is another pic, glass and marble tile, pic 2, with tones of white marble, and marblized grey marble.

pic 2: Ideabook: Kitchen backsplashes
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:48AM
creativetkr
I recently saw a kitchen backsplash made of mirror (pieces cut to the space not lots of mirrors) I loved the effect it had of moving the light around in the area (natural and under cabinet lighting at night). Not something I would have thought of on my own but it looked great. Plus it was easy to clean too.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 9:55AM
heidigreta
I would go with a larger subway tile in a cream color. When you install your under cabinet lighting you will be amazed at the difference of your entire kitchen as it will really help soften the dark cabinets (which are beautiful). Many granite countertops have too busy a pattern (IMO), so I think a softer, neutral backsplash is the way to go. The other designs shown above are the fad right now and you may tire of them quickly.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 10:59AM
hbmiller
I would go with a3"x6" subway tile in a beige that goes with the counter tops. The others are to busy because you have such a contrast between your cabinets and counters. It would be very up to date and you will still like it in 10 years. Do some large accessories in a bright color you love.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:29PM
mshine
My granite has more green in it and my tiles were custom. There are great sources for glass subway tile. I found this photo on houzz of white or off white tiles with Kashmir granite.i don't think they are 3x6 but the combo of tile and granite is so elegant.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:54PM
reneecourington
I have similar cabinets and counters...just did a brushed stainless tile...2x2 squares....looks AMAZING
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 7:58PM
PRO
Trouble Free Electric
I'm by no means a tile guy, but I do lint a lot of it up. This is a kitchen that we just finished and a tile like this would fit nicely. Also, the LED under cabinet lights are made by a company called DiodeLED. They are dimmable and color changing. This allows you to blend the color just right to accent both your backsplash and your countertops.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:47PM
PRO
Trouble Free Electric
*light
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:47PM
jasmine0
Thanks. Pertaining to hb miller, heidigreta and tamara682 answers' -
I found the beige ceramic 3 x 6 ceramic tiles(debating between matte and glossy) that I like but can I still do it with my floors having off white matte ceramic tiles?
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 4:07AM
pybo
I also have similar cabinet and countertop and we went with something with both glass and stone in it.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:31AM
jasmine0
Thank you so much for all your great suggestions!!! I have narrowed to 2 choices - 3 x 6 glossy warm white ceramic tiles which looks like beige/ alabaster color with mosaic accent tiles or 2 x 4 honed dolomite tiles ( both tiles from Olympia). ( The pic shows 1 x 1 polished carrara marble just for example). Will I will mess up the kitchen if I go for the glossy ceramic tiles since my floor is 8 x 8 off white matte tiles? The glossy warm white and matte off white tiles do look different white color.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:54PM
heidigreta
I think you picked a winner with the 3x6 beige/alabaster. You already have a beautiful kitchen and this finishing touch will really look wonderful. Have you decided to go ahead with the under cabinet lights? We didn't install ours at the time we put in our cabinets, but we didn't have any trouble installing them after the fact and were able to hard wire them so no cords were visible. Good luck with your new kitchen, please let us see how it turns out!
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:04PM
jasmine0
Thanks Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design for your comment. In pic 1 of the 4 pics, the mosaic tiles are actually 1 x 0.5 beige glass tiles. I guess it does look metallic.
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:07PM
jasmine0
Thanks heidigreta!! I haven't looked for lights yet since have been so wrapped up looking at the tiles, but I do intend to do it. I have the wiring there since there was under cabinet lights before when I tore down the ugly grey cabinets. Is it okay to have the glossy beige ceramic tiles with off white matte ceramic tiled floor?
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:20PM
heidigreta
I would say go for it! IMO (and I'm no expert!) I would think since you have the lower cabinets as your separation between the floor and backsplash it really shouldn't matter. What everyone's eye will go toward now is your new, beautiful cabinets and backsplash and any touches of color you add on the countertops, etc. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 7:16AM
jasmine0
heidgreta - Thank you so much for your encouragement!! i will definately post pics when all done.
2 Likes   February 14, 2013 at 6:23AM
indianpatti
Jasmine .... can you post a pic of your new backsplash?
0 Likes   September 27, 2013 at 8:17AM
PRO
Priscilla Christine
Some light colored glass in a 2x8 would be pretty.
1 Like   February 1, 2014 at 9:00PM