Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bath remodel on the cheap
ddgomes
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
In process of buying a house with a pink and black tiled bath (don't forget blue sink!). Has anyone ever refinished their tile or had it done? Don't have cash for a remodel. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
I would get a new sink, paint the walls, new window treatment!! COOL! And maybe get that shower door out.
February 8, 2013 at 4:09pm     
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I agree with Jayme. I would definately loose the blue sink and walls...
February 8, 2013 at 4:11pm     
onthefence
I would do exactly the same things Jayme would do. A new light fixture would be a good addition too.
February 8, 2013 at 4:12pm     
PRO
Franks Home Maintenance
I have removed many tiled baths that have had the tile refinished. Not a fan, but it should get you by for a year or two as long as you use gentle cleaners.
February 8, 2013 at 4:16pm   
dtdattex
You can refinish the bath for $1000 to $1200 . You can do tub one color and wall a second color . We have done this can of work in all types of homes up to houses in the 1 million range
February 8, 2013 at 4:16pm   
Genevieve
Subway tiles are in ,pink is coming back in style ,only change the sink and paint the wall and get some new towels ,live in the house for a while see how this is working for you and then decide ,

here is a little idea
http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Waverly-Tres-Chic-Ceramic-4-piece-Bath-Accessory-Set/6417919/product.html
February 8, 2013 at 4:20pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Definitely keep the cool pink tiles. Add a new black sink to tie it together. I love the look.
February 8, 2013 at 4:23pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Oh, and replace the shower door.
February 8, 2013 at 4:23pm     
ddgomes
Wow thanks everyone for the ideas! Already plan on the shower door going. I can't stand them. Gee, I should post the yellow tiled kitchen and hallway too
February 8, 2013 at 4:40pm   
Seventies House
Yikes!! The bathroom works (you can have a lot of fun with funky pink!), but IMO the yellow tile in the hallway is a bit much.
February 8, 2013 at 4:52pm   
PRO
Carey & Co
Lose the sink, leave the tile. A nice white sink can be inexpensive. Paint the cabinet black and check out how to paint the countertop (I saw how to paint laminate like granite on Pinterest recently). I would remove the glass shower enclosure (I've done this and it usually cleans up well), medicine cabinet and light fixture. Add an inexpensive mirror in a black frame and new fixture. You will probably need a new lav faucet - check online, Home Depot or Lowe's for all of the above at reasonable prices. Use two shower curtains - one on each side in a large simple black & white pattern (saw some interesting blk & wht fabric and/or curtains at IKEA). Paint the walls and window frames white and use the same fabric as the shower curtain for a shade or curtain at the window. If you don't want to paint the window frame use an outside mount shade to cover the window simplifying the color palette. If you need more storage, put up simple, narrow black shelves over the toilet and put necessities in nice containers.
February 8, 2013 at 4:52pm     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Wow! It's like living inside a birthday cake!
February 8, 2013 at 4:57pm     
onthefence
The yellow and black in the kitchen may be workable too.

The yellow in the hallway may prove to be a challenge!
February 8, 2013 at 4:58pm   
aniluap2
I agree with The comments above but I would alo get rid of the winow treatment nd just frost the glass . The yllw tile in he kitchen is very retro but the hallway is o close to the bathroom that it clashes with the pink. Maybe you can just remove the tile in th hallway and refinish th wall under it o that there is some distance created between the yellow an pink.
February 8, 2013 at 5:27pm     
Genevieve
Removing the tiles in the hallway would be okay but since you cannot do this at the moment it probably would be best to work with them and find a wall paper that would marry the yellow and the pink tiles of the bathroom ,I had something like this in mind of course this is only one idea
http://www.google.com/search?q=yellow+and+pink+wall+paper&rlz=1C1CHMD_enCA371CA371&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=U6cVUejsCsT8yAGI3oDgCw&biw=991&bih=702&sei=WacVUajZA-2hyAHn44DwDg#imgrc=Jz2YWiIFbV_xPM%3A%3BA30Cs_F-YaWQFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcheriehanson.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2009%252F02%252Fpink-yellow.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcheriehanson.com%252F%253Ftag%253Dwallpaper-design%3B791%3B788
February 8, 2013 at 5:37pm   
Jean Tuck
I like the bathrm, except for me I would always want no glass doors arnd tub, and the yello in hall Id replce with white beadboard with nice wood trim painted white .
February 8, 2013 at 5:39pm     
tarainmn
I have a pink and black bathroom circa 1937. Lose the sink and blue walls, ugh! White sink and paint looks great, and I am considering a wallpaper with white/black/ hints of pink. Dark grey towels look great.
February 8, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Genevieve
for the window yes you could frost the glass but a less expensive way to go would be to purchase a roll of vinyl film here is an example of some ,they have several designs available in stores ,by the look of things you would only need to cover the bottom pane and keep the top one clear ,the choice is your to make ,it depends on how much can be seen from the street :)
http://www.lowes.ca/window-film_15284.html?s_kwcid=%2Bhome%20%2Bdepot%20%2Bwindow%20%2Bfilm%7c15714053536&gclid=CIaeyKCMqLUCFcg7MgodKVUALg&gclsrc=aw.ds
February 8, 2013 at 5:45pm   
deemenendez
I believe the least expensive route would be to paint the walls and upgrade the sink. This would get rid of the blue altogether. I agree with the silver shade to compliment the pink and black color scheme. Add a modern light fixture to match the new sink. Total expense of paint, light and sink with vanity should be less than $200.
February 8, 2013 at 5:54pm   
twylahaj
keep the tile in the bath. Get a white sink so it matched the tub and (I assume) the potty. A black toilet seat would tie in nicely. If you can't find one, get a cheap white wood one and spray paint it with several coats of a product designed for outdoor use so it will stand up to repeated cleanings. Paint the vanity white and either replace the countertop (if financially possible) or find a way to paint that laminate black. If you can find pink porcelain knobs for the vanity door that would be a nice detail. A half height curtain on a tension rod would allow for continued privacy when the window is open without having to be there in months when the window is closed. I agree with the other posters who said to keep the kitchen tile and lose the hallway tile. If losing the hallway tile leaves walls that are too damaged to paint, you could cover the damage with luaun trimmed at the top and bottom with simple moulding or even plain boards. Paint it a slightly different shade of the hallway wall color and consider it custom wainscoting. Seems like a great house. Have fun with the character is has.
February 8, 2013 at 5:57pm   
aniluap2
You could just put in plain white wooden slat blinds do you can open them up to let light in or keep them at a slant for privacy . The frosting may block too mich light now that I relook at the window and the film may lift from the humidity of the shower .
February 8, 2013 at 5:58pm   
ddgomes
Again thanks everyone! Glad I found this site
February 8, 2013 at 6:06pm     
rotoin
Oooh! Embrace your beautiful original tile. Here is a website with lots of great ideas for pink bathrooms. It's all the rage. Lucky you. http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/
February 8, 2013 at 6:17pm     
rotoin
Here are some more sites to inspire you to keep what is original in your house and replace what is not. Even if you can't afford their products, look through the photos to see how they use the most of the historic features of their houses instead of covering them up.
-- http://www.rejuvenation.com/model/galleries/inspiration#next
-- http://retrorenovation.com/2007/12/29/retro-renovating-judis-1959-bathroom-which-includes-original-pink-tile/
-- http://retrorenovation.com/2012/07/31/a-country-retro-pink-bathroom-design-for-megan/
-- Google "vintage bathroom wallpaper" images

Putting up vintage wallpaper, hanging simple curtains, and replacing the sink and laminate counter should make that bathroom sing. If you can't afford wallpaper, use neutral colors like grey or taupe to tone down the crazy looking contrast you currently have with the white and blue paint against your colored tiles. If you can't afford to replace the cabinet, I agree that it could be painted. Black works, but if that's too dark, try grey.

You really are so lucky to have that original tile in such good condition. Thanks for sharing your photos.
February 8, 2013 at 6:46pm   
Elize
I have nearly the same pink and black tile and recently had the tile regrouted and it looks amazing. I have the original white fixtures which makes the bathroom look clean and a little more modern. The pink of my tiles are more of a salmon (or depression glass pink) color rather than pepto pink. I've had Benjamin Moore pink damask paint on the walls for the past several years. The color doesn't match the tiles but coordinates nicely and is very flattering.

Restoration Hardware used to carry a banded shower curtain in pink similar to this one which is a great look http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1233604. Other ideas for shower curtains: Chevron Shower Curtain OR Monogrammed Classic Shower Curtain Amy Butler Bucharest Shower Curtain

My window just has a simple durawood white blind on it.

I just recently introduced a pale aqua color via some Threshold trellis textured towels from Target (white with aqua trim). A similar vibe to https://www.onekingslane.com/product/18946/1124387. And a trellis woven white rug similar to Iznik Bath Mat. There are ways to bring in some of the current trends into a vintage bath!

Yes, Save the Pink Bath is a great site for inspiration too.
February 8, 2013 at 6:54pm   
DIAspoton
so many good suggestions. here's 1 more thought. keep all the tiles and then:

bathroom: paint walls and vanity black. white vanity top. hang several mirrors with white frames. add an antique mirror panel to the vanity door and an old crystal knob.
add crystal and white metal sconces on either side of new vanity mirror.
save money by leaving the shower door. find a large black and white paisley fabric and have a shower curtain and deep valance made. hang them from a tension rod mounted just below the black tile.
a simple white window curtain with a 4" black band a few inches up from the bottom so it hits in line with the stripe on the tile.
fluffy white towels and floor mat.

the yellow hall tile treatment is so unusual i think it's a keeper. find a wallpaper with black and white and a lesser amount of yellow, pink and at least 1 more pastel to break the monotony.lavender, gray, peach,aqua?
you might also look for a runner for a black and white runner for the hall.
take that pastel color and bring it into the kitchen with accessories.
if you can afford to paint the cabinets white and replace the hardware, you'll have a fun, fresh yellow,white and black gem of a kitchen.
what a great house. embrace the retro vibe you lucky gal.
February 9, 2013 at 8:47am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
A shutter works great in a bathroom if you have the budget if not they a fauxwood blind is the next best option.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/horizontal-blinds/faux-wood-blinds.html
February 9, 2013 at 6:06pm   
carbary
Paint the walls grey. Get a new white sink and new mirror
February 10, 2013 at 8:24am   
carbary
Some grey choices
February 10, 2013 at 8:30am   
tuckerpearl
Keep the chic pink & black tiles. I like the idea of getting a black sink for looks tho pink would be easier to keep clean looking. Paint walls a pale pink. With such a small area it wouldn't cost much to get a cool wallpaper that using your pink & black color scheme.
February 10, 2013 at 8:35am   
creativetkr
Love the pink tile, I would work with what you have. Not sure your personal style. But if you like to add a little french style. Wallpaper the walls a great black and white stripe. Paint your vanity white or black, add a new white counter top and sink. Then accent with some new knobs. Paint the window trim white and add a layered treatment - valance of black and white toile and a nice wooden 2' blind. Add some great black and white towels with personal monograms. Replace the shower door with a shower curtain (white to keep it fresh with a large black monogram). If you or someone you know sews, consider making the shower curtain monogram from the same toile fabric or if monograms are not your thing, add a large border at the bottom of the curtain from the same toile. Just dont use too much of the toile, so to keep it from being busy. Keeping this room to the black and white scheme would work with your other tile too
February 10, 2013 at 9:00am     
carbary
Some grey choices
February 10, 2013 at 4:26pm