Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with this bedroom?
Melanie L
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just painted the room a warm grey (BM Galveston Grey) hoping it would be a nice neutral and go well with the duvet cover that I love (CK Bamboo flowers). I'm not sure I'm loving it though, maybe a bit bland/boring? I do love the paint, and I don't want to paint again. Does the cover work? What else can I do above the bed. I originally wanted to print some of my own pictures in 16x20 canvas to hang above it, maybe a set of 3, but I can't seem to find 3 pictures that work well together. How about the wall across the bed, should I put anything there? I just have no idea what to do with this room. I've considered painting the wood trim white, but am not up for that task just yet, so I'm trying to work with it, which has been my problem, nothing seems to go well with it.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Raashi Design
Move the dresser between the two doors, add a nice mirror with silver or nickel finished frame. You can add purple, lavender colored accessories - may be a vase with some blue hydrangea flowers on the night stands. Anything sparkly will light up the room like mercury glass accents. Since you don't want to paint again, I'd say purple colored flower arts with silver frames can go behind your bed and nightstands. Add table lamps on the nightstands and a couple of accessories.
February 8, 2013 at 5:34PM     
PRO
Jemden Interiors
Hi Melanie. Its nice to start with a neutral base so I think the paint will be fine once you have added some other things. I think the room needs some uplifting with white so I would paint the trim white and add some fabulous large bedside lamps with white shades. These lamps need to be big so they are in proportion to the high ceiling. I would suggest adding 4 white framed B & W travel photos above the bed so that you are using the vertical space above the bed head. I always like to have contrast in my designs so for example I would now add white because the bed and side tables are dark and the lamps could be glass bases or even a metal so they are in contrast to the dark timber. I would also move the chest of drawers in between the doors if it fits because it looks a little squished in the corner. Add a large mirror above the chest of drawers and a floor lamp in the corner. I have attached a photo to show you how I used 4 white framed photos above a bed in one of my designs. Good luck with it all.
February 8, 2013 at 5:45PM     
dlanevi
I think it would help tremendously to move the dresser like another poster suggests. I would also find two matching white table lamps - or something substantial in a silver - to bring some color/contrast to the walls. You can also consider putting only one print and hang it over the bed. I envision a really cool, large black & white photograph. Also, the ottoman at the foot of the bed disappears. I think an upholstered ottoman would warm up the space, but I'd go with a lighter color to contrast the bed and walls.
February 8, 2013 at 5:46PM     
Melanie L
Thanks for the suggestions so far. My husband actually suggested it in between the doors too, but I thought the corner would be more out of the way. Now he is telling me 'I told you so". =)
Jemden, I love the white frames with bw prints! What size would you suggest? I have a king size bed, and I think the highest point of the ceiling is 11 or 12 feet.
Diane, I hadn't given the ottoman much though, but I agree. Thanks!
February 8, 2013 at 5:58PM   
PRO
Jemden Interiors
Hi Melanie, Sorry about your husband being right - Don't you hate that. The ones I used were about 50 x 60cm (20 x 24"). You should be able to get a standard size frame and a tip: make sure it has a matt board in the frame to go around the photo as it looks so much better.
February 8, 2013 at 6:06PM   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Or if you need to add some fun colours like yellow or orange
February 8, 2013 at 6:21PM     
carolemcc
I hate to say it but the trim is the issue here. It has yellow hues and your wall color and bed furniture blend well together. I would suggest staining or painting the trim in a deep coffee or darker color. For bed side lamps add bling with a black shade, and for over the bed I would do large black frames. No need to spend a lot on prints just find some online and print in black and white in a 8x10 format and use matting to make them look bigger with nice same frames.Move the chair beside the bed in the corner where your dresser now is and yes the dresser between the doors (sorry) lol instead of frames over the dresser add a large vase with a complimentory color you wish to add to the room. Anyway enjoy your room and make it your own.
February 8, 2013 at 6:27PM     
sluggodog
Just wanted to say I love the colour on your wall and the lavender bedspread. You were given great suggestions here.. nice white prints, silver table lamps with white shades.. and some gorgeous pillows. Would love to see pictures when your done - it will be a comfy/cozy retreat.
February 8, 2013 at 6:28PM     
deemenendez
I agree with adding a bit of color. I see a chair that has splashes of green. Perhaps adding some nature-themed pictures above your bed with those shades of green could tie them together. If your add curtains then use the same fabric for the ottoman. Last, move the dresser like all have suggested. LOL
February 8, 2013 at 6:33PM   
7lexi7
I agree with the general view here. You're at the "fun" part when you get to dress up your room with some metalic bling and a bit of color. And white to lift it all up: white sheets, white lamp shades, a white "mink" throw, or orchid. Have fun.
February 8, 2013 at 6:43PM   
Jean Tuck
I like the chair and the drapes might best be a very similar designand color as chair as would the comforter, with the laundry hamper and green bag in a closet or storage closet for clothes, I can see a long ribbon decor item over the top of the bed with A romantic picture or some travel picture from your photo album that you love enlarged beneath the ribbon.glass based lamps and complementary shades to match your bed spread, This room with your main colors being green, gold and creamy white would to me be very eleghantSuch a pretty room to work with.
February 8, 2013 at 7:10PM   
Melanie L
We measured the space yesterday and the dresser is a perfect fit in that space between the door, it would sit right in between the molding with an inch to spare on either side. BUT we can't put it there since it would cover up the central vac access on the right side. Is it really that bad in the corner? We're debating if it's worth covering up that access. The only thing I really *need* it for is to vacuum the occasional wasp/bee/spider that gets in upstairs.
February 9, 2013 at 1:32PM   
sluggodog
In the name of style and decor.. I say cover up that central vac vent! :-) ... if you can do without. For the occasional times you need it.. just move out the dresser. Yes, I think it looks odd in the corner... IMHO :-)
February 9, 2013 at 1:47PM     
PRO
Raashi Design
Melanie, I too agree with sluggodog. Sorry!
February 9, 2013 at 2:04PM   
janicedonato
Definitely move the chest!
February 9, 2013 at 2:07PM   
janicedonato
And I'd love to see your trim and doors painted white.
February 9, 2013 at 2:09PM   
Melanie L
So I moved the dresser over and it seems tight between the doors, especially when coming into the room. Maybe the corner looks empty now? I still haven't had time to shop for new items, so I'm just working with what I have. How does it look now with the dresser moved?
February 23, 2013 at 1:22PM   
PRO
Raashi Design
Much better! You feel the tightness because you are not used to it there - will feel different after some time. I think adding a floor lamp (for reading) next to the chair and a couple of frames/artwork behind the chair will make the corner cozy. I"d say pull the chair a little forward. The layout is good now, need to accessorize.,...
February 23, 2013 at 4:50PM