Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
EXTERIOR FACE LIFT
Jill
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
HELP!

I am going to be replaing the eaves, soffits and gutters on my circa 1975 4 level split. The siding is in Brownstone by Mitten Vinyl. I would like to do something other than white and choose something that will tie in the multi tone brick on the left side of the house to the 2 storey giant. Also plan on adding shutters and landscaping.

I plan on painting both the main door (upper) and the door off the driveway, just not sure on a color yet, something charcol / black / brown/. My screen door in painted and benjamin moore rasberry truffle.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Any chance you could match the existing brick and put a knee wall of brick across the lower front elevation. This would help 'tie' the front elevation together. Also, an alternate siding in the gable (vinyl shake) ,and shutters would be nice too!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:48PM
dlanevi
Have you thought of painting the entire house one color to bring it all together?
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:11PM
Jill
Ideally, I would love to reside the entire house in one color; the brick on the house,

TJP - I am not sure it could be matched along the bottom, as the brick was done in the 70's. I will have to check the local suppliers. I am liking the idea of doing a gable in another color....any suggestions?

dianevl - painting would be an option, but I have concerns with painting the brick, and the yearly maintance of painting it. I live in atlantic canada and the weather here can be extreme and very wearing on our homes. Do you know of any products on the market that would not be so much maintance?

Thank you for you
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:45PM
PRO
Jeff Jones Snap It Photography
There is lots of potential here! I think first, I would add a porch that wraps around in front of the two windows. Second, I would rip out all of the yews. Third, add cedar shingles above the two windows in the front and cover the brick with cedar shingles too. Maybe paint the siding a different color like a dark blue and I maybe adding shutters is a great idea. I also think it's a good idea to make sure that the exterior paint and the door color contrast and that the door color adds a nice pop of color. I think the landscaping you want to do could bring it all together for a unified look. Hope this helps -Jeff
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:04PM
claudiann
I think deck/porches on both "parts" of your home would be the way to go. I wouldn't cover the brick. I would paint the home in the base color of the brick, trim/paint the porches in the sand color you have now and pop the door and add shutters in a bolder, brighter color such as red.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:21PM
Jean Tuck
Painting house all one colr would be okay, but I prefer in my dream a red brick bungalow so Im happy with the present look of house , white shutters, low lying flowering shurrey like box roses with white and pink flowers where the to tall schrubbery was removed, adding time white fencing around garden with some tucked in garden lights for evening, I have to say thats all I would do, dont want it over done, keep larger planter in next to door for safety sake, small trrees would be excelant for Christmas decoration lights, simple but lovely for sure!For my likes a nice clothesline in the fenced backyard would save tons on the drying of clothes all year.Washers are great and dryers too but if fresh air smell in your clothes appeals to you, then using the clothesline is a savings and a blessing always.Wow now thats a great project you have a head of you. Be happy.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:24PM