Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Here's my layout
Sadiesammie
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are building a home this spring. We designed our layout ourselves without the help of a professional. This is the rough draft. I also have a program on my computer that is helping me get the plans in better order (chief architect). This is just the drawing that We've sketched out that's easy to erase and trust me when I say I've done a lot of that.

A few people on here wanted to see our plans, so here it is. Have at it!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And your opinions are welcome!

I can take constructive criticism as this is my first time building, but please don't be rude about it. Thanks!!

Oh and one last thing, I am hiring professional contractors to build my home.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I like the simplicity of the plan. The only thing that stands out is the hallway that separates the kitchen from the bedroom areas, it seems like wasted square footage. Consider looking at ranch styled floor plans online to see how the public and private areas are defined.
February 9, 2013 at 5:46am     
janishill
Here are my thoughts: Dytecture has a valid point about the hallway being a waste of space. I also wonder about the hall closet. Wouldn't it be better to have the door in the laundry room?

And the little cut in to get to the MBR door. If you are going to have the door there why not put the door to BR#2 opposite it? Or the space could be used as a coat closet with th eentrance to the MBR next to it.

:-)
February 9, 2013 at 6:11am     
orangecamera
I like janishill's suggestion about the door for BR#2 being opposite the MBR in the alcove. And if you move both of those bedrooms and everything to the left of them over by about 2 feet, you'll gain room for a coat closet in your front entry. You'll also get 2 more feet in the width of the living room.

About the wall down the length of two hallways, I don't think it's ideal. But if you need to keep the wall think about ending it before going all the way to the right. Maybe just have it in front of the two bedrooms and then stop. You can rearrange the bathroom there so the door is in the same alcove as the laundry room door (so you don't see into the bathroom from the kitchen/breakfast area). I think this will improve the traffic flow. Imagine coming in through the mudroom or breakfast room door, needing to use the bathroom. With that long wall there, it's a long walk (run?)!

I'm assuming that wall is load bearing. You could open up the look somewhat by adding openings between studs/columns. For inspiration: ETHAN CARMEL ARCHITECTS

Mid-century style entry

Kevin Garrison

Koolau Retreat

Questions: What's the closet in the MBR? I can't read what it says. Where are the water heater and furnace?
February 9, 2013 at 6:47am   
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
A very simple plan usually reflects a simple exterior. I'm curious as to what your plans for the exterior are. Budget usually dictates design. A good Contractor could assist by pricing various changes to add some character. An enclosed toilet area is usually 3'x6'.
February 9, 2013 at 7:13am   
Sadiesammie
All of you have great comment! I wanted to keep the master BR separated from the rest. Bedroom #2 is actually going to be an office with French glass doors. I put the closet in there to make it a bedroom just to add more value to the home. But it will be on office with nice furniture.

The reason for the wall that makes a hallway was to keep the bathroom out of the kitchen & at one time I had both ends opened up. I will consider that an option again.

Putting the hall closet inside of the laundry room actually crossed my mind last night.

The living room & foyer will be vaulted ceilings & the rest of the house is 9ft ceilings.

Thanks for the measurement advice on the toilet room. I was unsure of that. I looked for average dimensions online & all I found were 5x5. I will adjust that now that you informed me.

Ah the coat closet by the front door..... I thought about that. I figured a coat rack for the very few visitors we have would be ok. We would be using the mud room for our coats.

The exterior is going to have a covered porch that goes from the study/BR 2 across to the other side of dining room. Fairly large windows in dining & study. Also, a wall of windows in the living room with a stone FP in the middle. The same stone from the FP will carry outside to the lower portion of the post on the front porch. Wooden beams are also going into the foyer area.

I will add a few pics of my inspiration on the design that I made budget friendly for us.
February 9, 2013 at 11:24am   
Sadiesammie
Oh the exterior, we are going with a product very similar to fiber cement. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but our contractor said its more durable then fiber cement & of course maintenance free. Color is autumn red with a green metal roof.
February 9, 2013 at 11:28am   
PRO
would that be Smart Lap siding
February 9, 2013 at 11:35am     
Sadiesammie
Inspiration: ours will have to wooden beams on a smaller scale.
February 9, 2013 at 11:37am   
Sadiesammie
Yes I do believe that's it!
February 9, 2013 at 11:38am   
Sadiesammie
Inspiration on front porch/entry way. Keep in mind, I had to make everything smaller due to budget.
February 9, 2013 at 11:39am   
Sadiesammie
Moved FP in the middle of the windows. The stone in the pic is not exact to what we are doing. And the decorative wood beams will not be there.
February 9, 2013 at 11:42am   
Sadiesammie
Dining room/ foyer inspiration
February 9, 2013 at 11:43am   
gendronan
Good luck to you! When do you start digging? You will be thrilled with it...because it's designed by you, for you!
February 9, 2013 at 11:49am   
Sadiesammie
The furnace & hot water heater..... In front of the pantry there is space for the furnace. I was thinking of putting HWHeater in the pantry with removable panels. But not sure if that's going to work. I'm still thinking on that one.
February 9, 2013 at 11:49am   
Sadiesammie
Thanks! We start end of April or first part of may. We are stoked! Patience is running thin as the time nears lol
February 9, 2013 at 11:50am   
gendronan
Your inspiration pics are gorgeous!
February 9, 2013 at 11:52am   
gendronan
Oh, I hear ya!! We're starting end of March, early April...getting a little crazy over all the decisions to make! So hard not too blow the budget! Especially in the kitchen!
February 9, 2013 at 11:54am   
Sadiesammie
There are a lot of details that you can't see in the plan I posted. When it gets built I will post the final deal.
I had a few ask me to post it & I was nervous to post it. I've seen a few DIY floor plans get ripped to shreds on here. But deep down I did want the pros to give me insight on it. Lol
February 9, 2013 at 11:58am     
Sadiesammie
@gen.... Only of the exact inspiration was in my budget **sigh** lol but I love what we've done to still get the look (but not so grand) and still make it ours.
February 9, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Sadiesammie
The kitchen is a hard thing to do. We love to cook & entertain. So I know what you mean. We are splurging on a 60 inch stove. But getting a good deal. Www.us-appliance.com has builders packages on appliances FYI and they beat online prices by 10% with free shipping.
February 9, 2013 at 12:03pm   
Sadiesammie
@orange those openings in the wall are really neat. Thanks! The closet in the master is just another closet. I am a shoe "junkie" and was thinking about making it just a shoe & bag closet.
February 9, 2013 at 12:18pm   
rinqreation
Where will your diningtable go?
February 9, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Sadiesammie
One will be in the formal dining room to the right of the foyer & the other in the breakfast nook.
February 9, 2013 at 1:25pm   
rinqreation
Here are some of my thoughts:
February 9, 2013 at 1:26pm   
orangecamera
Just looking at your plan again. You could incorporate your hall closet and laundry room into one space.

The wall with the toilet can be extended "up" getting rid of the vestibule, but giving you a lot more room for laundry, storage, and utilities.
February 9, 2013 at 1:41pm   
Sadiesammie
So you're saying move the fridge to the wall by the pantry?
I had initially had it there and I moved it to add more cabinet space for dishes near the dishwasher & sink. I've second guessed myself on putting the fridge next to the sliding door. And the only reason I 2nd guessed myself is because of the draped getting behind the fridge.

The stove we are buying has a good size stainless steel backsplash on it so it has to go against the wall. I could get one without a backsplash but the stove is 60 inches long & with that comes a huge 60 inch hood that I don't want in the center of my ceiling.
February 9, 2013 at 1:46pm   
Sadiesammie
@orange great idea. I'm going to sketch that out to get a more visual idea. I think I know what your saying & I like that idea better!
February 9, 2013 at 1:51pm   
PRO
Fänas Architecture
While understanding the desire to 'design' your own home, for the amount of investment - time, money, AND sanity - you might want to consider hiring an architect. It's easy to drive through the streets and identify those homes that utlized an architect, and those that didn't - yet their monetary investments are the same. Do you really want to see the master bed from the dining room? To have someone develop some schecmatic design drawings, and then take it on your own, would be a minimal investment, resulting in huge - and life long - benefits. Good luck either way.
February 9, 2013 at 1:56pm     
rinqreation
If your sliding doors open to a garden or view, I'd consider keeping that part of the plan as open as possible, looking outside while having breakfast is such a pleasure..
February 9, 2013 at 1:58pm   
Sadiesammie
@orange I'm loving it. The hall closet would be used mostly for vacuum, extra blankets, sheets etc, as I'm not much of a pack rat. We have attic space & a storage building outside for seasonal decorations & things of that sort. So combining the 2 wouldn't hurt. Thanks!!!! :)
February 9, 2013 at 1:58pm   
myrns
Do you have enough bathrooms? Potentially 3 bedrooms to 1 bathroom could be difficult depending on your family. Could you squeeze a 2 piece powder room in near bedroom 2/den? Then guests won't have to use the main bath.
February 9, 2013 at 2:07pm   
rinqreation
(boy do I love to play with drawings and plans)
February 9, 2013 at 2:15pm   
orangecamera
I may be opening a can of worms here, but if you're interested in feng shui, think about making your long hallways not perfectly straight. I have some ideas, but if it's not your "thing" I'll keep them to myself :)
February 9, 2013 at 2:15pm   
Sadiesammie
@myrns I see what you are saying. I would think that 2 bathrooms would be ok. Right now it's just my husband & I. We plan on 1, maybe 2 kids at most. It would be nice to have the extra powder room for guests but that would mean more on the budget & cutting into existing room sizes.
February 9, 2013 at 2:20pm   
Sadiesammie
@orange not sure what you mean but I'm open to new ideas.
February 9, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Sadiesammie
@rinqreation that's not a bad layout you have there. But I think we are sold on the separation of the kitchen & bedrooms/bathroom. I ran the idea of taking the hallway wall down & the hubby wants to keep it.
February 9, 2013 at 2:28pm   
Sadiesammie
We may end up taking our plans to an architect only to get an opinion but I wouldn't change too much on the design.
February 9, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Sadiesammie
@kim thanks! I'm really considering opening up the other end of the hallway but the wall stays. The BR2 is an office area. We want glass French doors in BR 2 to display the office & the furnishings in it. I added the closet specifically for more value because if it has a closet, it's a 4BR house. Bookshelf is going into the office
February 9, 2013 at 2:39pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
Did you look at any prefab house plans?
February 9, 2013 at 2:53pm   
PRO
JMH Designs
You do not have any dimensions listed. What is your overall width and length of your home? Your ranch is a basic rectangle do you have the land to create some a little jog in your overall front elevation. Meaning a room or two stick out further then the front entrance creating a curb appeal and front porch.
February 9, 2013 at 2:54pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
Check out bluhome and new world home for nice floor plans. I'd rather have a kitchen that is open to the gathering space - I like open and light filled rooms instead of walled in spaces. Did you consider moving the extra bedrooms closer to the other bedrooms and have a living zone and sleeping zone? The library or office amd main entry could be the space that transitions between zones. Think carefully about how you live not just individual rooms. Lastly you are so fortunate to be doing this project but I fear without an architect's input you will be missing out on a partnership that would give you a space that would be great - your dream and his or her expertise. Look at the homes on este twombley in rhode island.
February 9, 2013 at 3:10pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
Consider tankless water heaters - great space savers.
February 9, 2013 at 3:15pm   
Sadiesammie
@amy I have looked at tons of them. I found one I loved, took the dining area & foyer & added what I wanted
February 9, 2013 at 3:20pm   
Sadiesammie
@amy I'm not a big fan of kitchens opening into living spaces. It's nice but not my style. As far as sleeping zones, I for sure want the master away from the other rooms. The br#2 is going to be the office. That space will never serve as a place for anyone to sleep.
February 9, 2013 at 3:30pm   
myrns
JMH Designs has a good point. If you bring your ensuite/den end of the house forward a few feet, you could create space for a powder room and add interest to the front of the house. Bathrooms used by kids aren't usually where you want your guests to be. Guests going down the hall to the bathroom past the bedrooms could disturb sleeping children.
February 9, 2013 at 3:31pm   
Sadiesammie
Tankless may be the way I have to go.
February 9, 2013 at 3:33pm   
Sadiesammie
Jmh we have plenty of land, 68 acres. When we started the plans I wanted the wrap around porch. I also was told the more corners the more money. That may or may not be accurate.
February 9, 2013 at 3:38pm   
Sadiesammie
I should have written the dimensions. I have them on another drawing
February 9, 2013 at 3:40pm   
sharonfcma
I would put the fridge next to the pantry. The cooking - snacking flow would work much better. Cooking: you get food from the fridge, wash it, prep it, cook it. Snacking: you get food and water from the fridge and move it to the island. You will not have children or adult interference with a hot cooking area. I nice wall oven could also work in the space you have chosen for the fridge. Have fun!
February 9, 2013 at 3:56pm   
PRO
Amy Canary
Sounds like you have put lots of thought into your home. An exciting project. All the best. Can't wait to see your progress.
February 9, 2013 at 4:03pm   
Sadiesammie
@sharon, I initially had it next to the pantry. I most likely will move it back there and just add more cabinets where it is placed now. I kept moving it back & forth with no reason in mind but kids around hot stove is convincing enough. Thank you!
February 9, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Sadiesammie
@amy, we have thought of every angle possible. We've crumbled up lots of graph paper & threw it in the trash. I just hope that my visual is as good on the ground as it is in my head. We are starting from scratch, septic & all. We've got 5 different contractors working together, so I'm confident that if anything is not right, they will help me make adjustments to do it right. It's so easy to want a half of a million dollar house but when you have a smaller budget, you have to sacrifice the things that are least important to your wants & needs!
February 9, 2013 at 4:22pm   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
I would consider moving your kitchen to the two smaller bedroom space along front of your house. Then the eating area for kitchen on the back of house, with french doors leading out. Face your sink toward the back of house. That then makes your living room/dining more connected to the public areas of your home. The long hall would then be eliminated.

On the other far right side, do the two bedrooms with bath between. one bedroom on back of house & one on front.

Incorporate your pantry, mud & laundry together toward that end of the house with the service entrance to outside. If they divide the bedrooms from kitchen, then that will be a sound buffer. You'll have your two quiet areas & the active public spaces between.

As others have suggested, get a competent architect/designer to pull it all together

Senior Designer~Urbana
February 9, 2013 at 4:32pm     
PRO
Amy Canary
Nice idea.
February 9, 2013 at 5:14pm     
orangecamera
Feng Shui is all about "energy flow". Some people swear by it, some think it's a load of hooey. I'm not going to get into that debate.

I appreciate the aesthetic visually, especially of curved paths. Here are some pictures. I think you could do something creative with your long hallway wall to keep it from being just a long straight wall. It will add interest and a bit of excitement to your floor plan, which is pretty boxy. Of course, as you mentioned, this will add cost and maybe it's not something worth doing for you.

But you mentioned a lot of property, and the outside of your house will be very straight (unless you change it) so I think using curves in your landscaping is essential. I don't think there will be added cost if your walkway and planting beds are curved rather than straight, and you will gain a lot of beauty.

I'm guessing with so much acreage, that you have a lot of trees. You can have paths meander between trees, that's a very pleasing way to do it (at least that's my opinion).
February 9, 2013 at 5:31pm   
orangecamera
Oh, and there are feng shui experts here on houzz, so if you are really interested, start another thread with "feng shui" in the title and maybe they'll see it and give you advice.
February 9, 2013 at 5:33pm   
valentine1961
I designed and built my home in 1990 and I am going to give you some advice, as I have been through this process. First off, you will without a doubt hate that your kitchen is closed off from the living area. I have an open concept kitchen/family room and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. When your entertain you can converse with your guests, as you have it now, you are closed off from everyone. You wil hate that. Also, why don't you put the kitchen where the master bedroom is and put the master bedroom and the other bedroom at the other end of the house? Keep all the bedrooms on one end of the house. the reason I say that is because the kitchen area is where there is the most traffic, where the most noise is, why would you want bedrooms off of an area like that? You could make a very nice master suite at the other end of the house along the wall where you have the laundry. You could do nice french doors to an outdoor patio area. I would do the other bedrooms in the area where the kitchen is. If your concern was seperating the master from the other bedrooms, you could do that with a small hallway and by adding another door. But the overall design you have now is not functional as far as the way its laid out. Believe me, you will hate where that kitchen is, especially if you entertain and the wasted space of that hallway would be put to better use. I would really rethink this plan before proceeding because once you build, thats it its hard to change in midcourse.
February 9, 2013 at 6:33pm     
Sadiesammie
I'm carefully considering a lot of the opinions here & exploring some options. Lol thanks for all of your input! Keep them coming! :)
February 9, 2013 at 7:31pm   
PRO
design4space
where is the garden? I am an interior designer from sydney and we try and incorporate the garden into the house and have no real visblie lines between the areas. (huge glas doors that completely open up both the house and the garden but I am not sure where the house is and what the weather is like
February 9, 2013 at 8:00pm   
fpatel
I'm jealous of the separate shoe closet!

I really like Ellen's idea above. Having the kitchen next to the dining room would make it close to both eating areas. Have the pretty French door between the living room and breakfast nook allowing both rooms better access to a patio (where the grill could be located) and help connect the house to the yard. The "messier" working parts of the kitchen would still be hidden on one side of the island but the eating nook area on the other side could be open to the living room.

That is very similar to a layout that a friend has in her one story with the master on one side and two kids bedrooms on the other, and I think it works well. I think it was a southern living house plan. It even has the fireplace located in the same place.

My friends house has a door between the kitchen and breakfast area that leads to a small hallway and the two bedrooms with a bath in between them. If there is anyway you can fit in a half bath I would do it.
February 9, 2013 at 9:56pm     
architectrunnerguy
"I was told the more corners, the more money". That's true. The most efficient shape to build cost wise is a square.

But look at it this way, all of us can also get through the next five hours by eating macaroni and cheese for every meal but most of us opt for a slightly higher grocery bill in order to have a better dining experience.

And builders building entry level starter homes for profit are not building all rectangles, many are "L" shaped with 6 or more corners. They realize, like in my cuizine analogy above, people like variety with cost not being the sole reason driving all decisions.

Sure corners "cost more", but it's not exactly like we have to have lobster to get variety on our table. And "cost more" is always a relative phrase.

And a different shape would go a long way toward getting rid of that wasteful (and expensive) corridor.

Sounds like you have a good start however and have put considerable thought into the project. and lots of great advice above. The best of luck with it!
February 10, 2013 at 2:54am     
yorckl
I think that the Dining room is too far from the kitchen. Exchange one bedroom with the Dining Room.
This could also provide a closet (needed) at the Foyer. A bit more erasing to fine tune closet locations etc. Feel free to contact me - I'd love to provide a complimentary revised sketch.
February 10, 2013 at 3:47am     
PRO
Architectrunnerguy references to the exterior are what I was hinting about on my first comment. I seen a lot of long rectangles go up and they're not pretty. You need some elevation shifts and changes for curb appeal. Talk to your G.C. about this, get more info on pricing. Corners are less expensive than steep pitched roof systems. Tankless heaters are not the cure all and the initial cost is higher. It's a lot easier to upgrade the interior later than the exterior.
February 10, 2013 at 5:54am     
orangecamera
""I was told the more corners, the more money". That's true. The most efficient shape to build cost wise is a square. "

Can a round house be built for free?
February 10, 2013 at 7:24pm   
architectrunnerguy
"Can a round house be built for free". No. For the same reason that while macoroni and cheese is cheaper the lobster, that fact doesn't make m&c free.

While a round house may be theoretically the best shape energy wise, curves are more difficult to construct then a straight line.
February 11, 2013 at 2:38am     
PRO
JMH Designs
Two thoughts. One is I do not see steps to a basement or garage door entrance. You may not feel that it is important but believe me having one or the other is necessary. Both is best but if you can't do both consider at least one of them. My first home was a ranch home that had neither only a shed out back. We too started off childless in the home with not needing much but as soon as we got one child and my husband started acquiring tools we quickly realized we needed more storage. Then we ended up with two kids and felt the need to move. One benefit to doing a basement is that eventually you can finish a portion of it and have a play room so all toys can be out of the only sitting room you have. The other is that although you have the office with a closet you never really can market it as a 4th bedroom because it is right off the foyer and it is so far away from the hall bath. It will always be viewed as an office. You would need to re-work your plan so that it is closer to the bathroom if you ever want to market your home as a 4 bedroom house. But it is perfectly fine where it is if you do understand that your home will be viewed by a potential buyer as a 3 bedroom ranch home.
February 11, 2013 at 5:44am   
orangecamera
@Architectrunnerguy, my comment was meant to be humorous. :/
February 11, 2013 at 5:56am     
PRO
I got it.
February 11, 2013 at 6:02am   
PRO
this is plan, close to your general feel & incorporates some the suggestions I made earlier. While it features a garage, that could be your study-3rd bedroom-office space. You'll get an idea of how the central living area divides the master & the two other bedroom on the far right. ...... worth looking at actual plans by experienced designers to avoid awkward areas & unusable spaces (ie the hallway)
http://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=56533&src=search

hope it helps
e.
February 11, 2013 at 11:32am   
PRO
Here is another slightly simpler layout. the sketches can really help you see how the interior could be developed & it has an interesting exterior too.
http://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=56534#image-slideshow
February 11, 2013 at 11:36am     
lkbkennedy
It's so exciting to build. I'm not a pro but I hire them. My husband (who thinks he should have been an engineer instead of a doctor) thought we could design our home ourselves, because no one knows what we want more than we do right? Wrong. It was well worth the money we spent, the headaches we avoided. AND- unlike someone else who didn't use an architect, we didn't build a house that no one will want to buy. Yes, it suites your needs NOW, but if you ever plan on selling it, you may want to consider that someone else doesn't think it's OK for three bedrooms to share one bath- especially when one bedroom is across the foyer/living space area. Just consider the consequences of building a home that no one else will want to buy when you're bursting at the seams, get relocated, hate the neighbors, need to move closer to/farther away from family, etc. Best of luck with your project.
February 11, 2013 at 2:53pm     
neatypie
Would you need a larger front entrance, do you think. I like to have space for shoes, coats, and the like. It's also nice to have a table or something similar for keys etc. just a thought...
February 11, 2013 at 3:04pm   
DIAspoton
just glanced at the plans . did not read most of the posts but here's my 2 cents.

you're brave but probably not wise. hire an architect or buy stock plans from stephen fuller or one of the other very good companies. they can modify their plans to meet your needs.

the plan looks closed in. long hallways are bad. the kitchen is too closed up. you need a powder room and coat closet for guests.

do you have a pretty view from the great room? if so, why block the center with a fireplace. the FP could be double sided and put against the MBR wall.
February 11, 2013 at 3:27pm   
tyost
I would swap pantry with breakfast nook area, maybe add breakfast bar where pantry sits now to open up floor plan
February 11, 2013 at 3:53pm     
tyost
I would also move your sink to the island for better flow as well as providing more counter space.
February 11, 2013 at 4:31pm   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I had the same thought as tyost: do you really want your kitchen enclosed and separated from the entertaining space in the house? Certainly it is a personal decision, but most people want to be able to visit with company while they're working in the kitchen. You could put the pantry on the other end - where the doors are now. You would have to put the entry from the mud room at the "bottom" of that space - so you would walk through it (or the exterior door might be able to come from the end of the house, allowing you some storage at both ends plus along the wall - is that possible?) Anyway, back to the kitchen. The pantry could in the right hand corner,but I would make it a 45 degree angle so that it doesn't have to extend so far down. I can't read what it says below the pantry? Oh wait - is that the furnace? Without some detailed reworking, I can only say that I think it could be worked in the "service" end of the house. You could lay out the appliances on that wall however you'd want, but if you kept the sink in the middle, you could do a larger expanse of windows (leaving off the upper cabinets). This would allow you to put your exterior doors and your kitchen dining space next to the living room. It could either be completely open or perhaps a counter with stools on the LR side. If you reduced the depth of your island by 12", you could then mount 12" deep cabinets along a large part of the hall wall. You would not believe how much storage this provides!

In addition, if it's primarily the visual privacy you want with the wall between the kitchen and the bedrooms, you could stagger it and bring it down below ceiling height on the ends. This would bring light into that hall from the kitchen space and would create interest.

One more question: I assume that the bathroom below the kitchen will also serve as the guest bath? Do you see any problem with guests going by these bedrooms?

All in all, I think that the right part of the house could use some tweaking to give you the best use of space. I do agree that it might be very worth your time to spend an hour or two with an architect or designer, not only to maximize your space, but to make sure that your proportions are right. All this, of course, meant in only the most helpful way ! ! :-)
February 11, 2013 at 4:52pm   
janishill
Just one more thought; you could make the shoe closet into a powder room. Then you would have a 'public' restroom.

You stated no one would ever sleep in the office/library, but if you were to purchase a sleeper sofa it could easily be converted into a guest room if need be.
February 12, 2013 at 6:09am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.