Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Two shades of gray?
klau1973
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea what I am doing, but our family room needed a major facelift so we are doing the entire room over -- it's an 18x12 space that opens to our kitchen. I was thinking of accenting the wall with the window ( you would be facing this wall when standing in kitchen) but not sure if it will work in this room. I was considering BM Sweatshirt gray as the accent wall and BM gray owl on the remaining walls -- is that too much gray? Should I bag the accent wall and just use gray owl in the whole room?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Paint all the walls the same color..Because of light on a surface, every wall will "look" a different color. A feature wall only makes a room look smaller. However..if you are buying new furniture & rug & draperies, you should choose your paint color after those purchases..always choose a paint color last.
February 8, 2013 at 8:40PM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, just use one color for the entire room, preferably BM's "Sweatshirt Gray". The picture doesn't really depict the true colors of the furniture so here is one example of a more blue-ish color.

February 9, 2013 at 5:34AM     
klau1973
I do like sweatshirt gray as I was going to use for the accent wall, but is it too dark for an entire room? We do have a good deal of light, however I was leaning toward dark leather furniture and all I seem to see paired with gray walls is lighter furniture -- I have three little ones and I am afraid of what t hey will do to cream colored sofas! Love the look of this room you've shared, just not sure it fits our family at this point.
February 9, 2013 at 6:07AM   
vickiric
I love the look of the room Dytecture sent you, You could do the same only using the windows as your focal point. You have a beautiful window. I'm all for layering windows. I have a large window like this in my living room. mornings and thru the day great but since on west side of house evenings is too much. So I use 3 layers to my windows. Roman shades I put down at night only and then on top of them Ihave sheers to match the wall color. Then the curtain panels on great rods. Then I can open and close as needed. Good luck with your room.
February 9, 2013 at 6:15AM   
vickiric
IF you get brown leather couches ( have them, love them ) use light colors as accents, I put Light pillows scotch guarded and light colored (washable) throw rugs. Along with lamps and pictures you get the great look you want and can still have the dark colors. Good luck please post pictures as you get pieces for the room.
February 9, 2013 at 6:22AM   
klau1973
Vickiric can you post pics of your window please? I would love to see it. Thanks for your input!
February 9, 2013 at 6:32AM   
vickiric
Sorry can't get picture now, We are having the window panels changed out for new easy clean, insulated ones. We are slowly getting all the windows in the house changed out. Should explain that since curtains have to come down to do the windows I decided to get them cleaned. So not even here! Even putting in the garage. Husband says he wants fresh air too.
February 9, 2013 at 6:47AM   
aniluap2
You need to decide on furniture first so you can adjust your paint to the right tone of your soft furnishings. You can always find a color that blends with the fabric or leather tone it is harder to do it the other way. Although grey is a neutral you still need to hold it up to your furnishings to see if you like how they look together .
February 9, 2013 at 6:58AM   
vickiric
Can't show you window like yours but maybe this one will help. I have the 3 layers on this window too. It's cloudy so have the roman shades up so just the sheers and curtain panels show.
February 9, 2013 at 2:40PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
shutters would look great in the window.
February 10, 2013 at 8:55AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.