Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Why cant I just paint the countertop?
designideas4me
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Why must I choose from expensive granite or quartz or ugly laminate or whatever is mainstream? If I have a piece of wood..which I have had holding up the food and dishes for a while now ( ugly as it may be)...why cant I just paint it? I just painted this table and although its not perfect it still looks kinda cool ( certainly better than a piece of plywood). So my question is why cant I fill in the holes and prime and sand and prep a piece of wood.... cheap compaired to store bought solid surface....and cover it with paint...in this case I used metalic but could use something else. Than put on polyeurothane and be done with it. I will cut on a cutting board. Is there a food safe top coat that I can use? Why cant counters be more creative instead of having 5-7 choices we have to conform to? Here is the table I just painted for maybe 10-20 bux worth of paint and 2 hours of time. The metalic is frustrating to apply without streaks but it sure looks better than the dark table that was there and saved me having to buy a new glass table. In fact I could put glass over it. I still need to paint the chairs. But why cany I do this to the counter?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aja Mazin
Why do you assume you can't?

There are detailed specs and instructions on Pinterest.
February 8, 2013 at 7:53pm   
designideas4me
ok thanks... yeah I just looked up more info and found this............According to FDA regulations, the typical clear wood finishes that dry to a hard film, including polyurethane, are considered food safe. Wait to use the surface until the finish is completely dried, and clean it before allowing food contact.

Polyurethane is a fine choice to use on a counter, as long as you don't use the counter as a cutting board.

I assumed I couldnt because everytime we talk about counter top options on here no one mentions this as a choice so It didnt occur to me til now. I was thinking of putting contact paper or something over the wood board temperarily til I cound afford 5-6k for quartz.

What do you think of the table? Any suggestions on how to get the metalic to go on without streaks? Have you ever sprayed it? How do I find the instructions on Pinterest? I never use that site.
February 8, 2013 at 8:11pm   
PRO
lewis + smith
It will look horrible after a months worth of use. Paint scuffs, chips and basically wears off of a work surface. If you want to put your own sweat equity into your counters, you can cast your own concrete countertops. It is a massive amount of work, and will cost you money for the appropriate tools needed to do it right, but you will get a unique counter and it will be cheaper than using Caeserstone, paperstone, or granite. You will be tearing out the painted counters 6 months from now if you go that route.
February 8, 2013 at 8:12pm   
Aja Mazin
http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=wood+countertops

and I will post the one I repinned this week.
February 8, 2013 at 8:26pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I can't completely disagree with lewis + smith they make a point. Although I have seen polyurethane put over wood tables and bar tops in restaurants all over the coast. It seems like every fish joint has that type of decor. Those tables sit in a covered area outside and get wet all year long. I have yet to see them redone or replaced. Even after 20 years at one place I go to every year theirs are still going strong. So I don't think you will run through yours in 6 months. Even if it needs a new coat of poly in a year or so big deal it's cheap and easy to do.
February 8, 2013 at 8:29pm     
Jayme H.
What's a "fish joint" Interiors? ha ha..I know already...giving u a rib on a Friday night.
February 8, 2013 at 8:35pm     
February 8, 2013 at 8:39pm   
Aja Mazin
I have seen them survive for years.

Oiled wood is the most sensible way to go in my opinion.

1.] Too little is known, for me, to introduce polyurethane so closely in a food prep area.

2.] There are already too many toxic substances in our homes.

check out my ideabook on recycled countertops.

February 8, 2013 at 8:46pm     
Aja Mazin
The only paint I have had success with is homemade chalk paint and milk paint plus Johnson Wax [paste]

Other paint leave brush strokes and I have had to many disasters with spray paint.
February 8, 2013 at 8:52pm   
Aja Mazin
Jayme,

Come to Florida and I will show you!

Do you like soft shell crabs? smoked mackerel? mullet?
February 8, 2013 at 8:55pm     
PRO
@ Jayme Hobbs "Of all the fish joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." LOL!
February 8, 2013 at 9:01pm     
Aja Mazin
The catfish walk across the street to be fried up in Florida fish joints.
February 8, 2013 at 9:07pm     
Jayme H.
Ahh...Casablanca....LOVE...I would love to come to FLA Aja, the last time I was there was in a Winnebago with my 3 sisters and parents in the 80's.. .I am credited with kicking a blanket into a space heater in the night resulting a camper fire while in Tennessee~~!!
February 8, 2013 at 9:11pm     
Jayme H.
Play it again Sam!
February 8, 2013 at 9:14pm   
Aja Mazin
Where did you visit in Crackerville?
February 8, 2013 at 9:19pm   
PRO
@Jayme Hobbs I was wondering if you would get that. My references usually fall flat because I use old movies and TV shows as my resources. You should come to FL. It's great here this time of year. That's too funny about the camper fire as long as nobody was hurt.
February 8, 2013 at 9:22pm     
PRO
@Aja Mazin I have never seen that before. I have lived in FL. for 22 winters and that's a new one on me.
February 8, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Jayme H.
We drove in that damn Winnebago alllll the way from MN..and stopped off in Chattanooga I recall...went down to Disney for a somewhat hellish family vacation. My father owns a trucking company...self made millionaire...so he liked to DRIVE everywhere ....which sucked.
February 8, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Jayme H.
I am a Film Noir buff Interiors...much to my family's chagrin...but yet my youngest son used to request "The Maltese Falcon" at bedtime...I also have a talent for recalling dialog for some reason...and I sometimes recite paragraphs from my old nursing texts when cued by something....just comes out.
February 8, 2013 at 9:25pm     
Jayme H.
My maternal grandmother resembled a young Joan Crawford, before she obtained the hideous make up. Crawford's hideous makeup I meant...lol
February 8, 2013 at 9:29pm     
PRO
I like your son's taste in films. I forgot the we are both from MN. that was a conversation from last night I think. What trucking company? My nephews grandfather had a huge trucking co. It is still in their family. My dad drove for their company. My brother married into the family.
February 8, 2013 at 9:30pm     
Aja Mazin
I live for Film Noire. but Harvey is a favorite.
February 8, 2013 at 9:32pm     
4resas
Most restaurant tables are coated with resin not poly. The resin is poured on about 1/4" thick, then they run a blow dryer over to get the air bubbles out. My mother in law hired a company that recoates bathtubs to paint her Formica counter tops. It looks like granite, I don't know the cost. Rustoleum has a countertop painting kit. I think it's suppose to be used over Formica. Ask someone at home depot if it could be used over wood (I just looked on HD site it hasn't gotten good comments). 8' oak butcher block countertops are $250 at lumber liquidators. If you have a small kitchen check with local granite suppliers about using remnants, they can be very affordable.
February 8, 2013 at 9:35pm     
Jayme H.
I love the drapery in "Rebecca"...Hitchcock film...and the interior decor in "Laura"...
February 8, 2013 at 9:35pm     
PRO
The nephews are from huge trucking company nationwide and more.
February 8, 2013 at 9:36pm     
Jayme H.
My sister runs the business...I never fit in there...truckers don't always understand film noir I guess. I can swear well, however...lol!!
February 8, 2013 at 9:37pm     
Aja Mazin
4resas,

I did not know that!

My dad said that I use to try to steal the money sealed under the surface when I was a toddler, but I think it was my brother.
February 8, 2013 at 9:38pm   
Aja Mazin
Manderley !
February 8, 2013 at 9:40pm     
Jayme H.
My family would all look at me as if..."What the HELL is she watching?"~~!!! The Philadelphia Story has some lovely interiors and also fashion~Kate could wear clothes!
February 8, 2013 at 9:42pm   
PRO
I love watching old movies for inspiration on my design jobs. The golden days of Hollywood had some super talented set designers. Well we have them now too some of the sets I see now are pretty amazing. That is usually the only thing I remember about the movie. LOL
February 8, 2013 at 9:43pm     
Jayme H.
I could identify style and class for some reason.
February 8, 2013 at 9:43pm   
Aja Mazin
Leave Her To Heaven - I loved the the interior of the house in which Gene Tierney threw herself down the stairs!

The use of florals, stripes and plaids was fantastic.
February 8, 2013 at 9:45pm     
Jayme H.
The design was magnificent in some of those sets...I googled trying to get more info on the Rebecca set...it was all studio made...exterior shots in California, of the ocean, cliffs, etc.
February 8, 2013 at 9:46pm   
Aja Mazin
designideas4me,

the table does look WOW!
February 8, 2013 at 9:46pm   
PRO
Oh, me too my mom can't figure out where I cam from she swears I was switched at birth. The Philly story is great. I love Kate!
February 8, 2013 at 9:47pm     
Jayme H.
She was diabolical in that movie...what a classy lady...There is a gorgeous grey bedroom on Houzz: I commented it looked as if she should be in it...elegant and lovely.
February 8, 2013 at 9:48pm     
Aja Mazin
Interiors International, Inc.,

THERE IS NOW A FAMILY OF CATFISH HEADING TO NAPLES!
February 8, 2013 at 9:48pm     
Jayme H.
Kate was damn funny in "Bringing up Baby" too!! I love Cary Grant...elegance personified...I put that on facebook once and no one knew what the hell I was taking about!
February 8, 2013 at 9:51pm     
Aja Mazin
YOU MEAN ARCHIE LEACH.
February 8, 2013 at 9:52pm     
Jayme H.
And the catfish came from the Red River of the North in Grand Forks, ND...they are trying to avoid the annual "Catfish Days"....
February 8, 2013 at 9:53pm   
PRO
@Aja Mazin I guess your one of us. You fit right in. Jayme we have a new club member. I will have to start following you. Leave Her To Heaven was a great film and you are so right the interiors were awesome!
February 8, 2013 at 9:54pm     
Jayme H.
Ha ha...so very true...and he was dirt poor..wasn't it tailors or something...or he was a tailor? And wasn't he orphaned or on the streets young?
Aja Mazin
I adore Lawrence Olivier
Jayme H.
He had a long term affair with Danny Kaye...have a biography on him....it was a hard read so I didn't read it as closely as I should have...he had an interesting life.
February 8, 2013 at 9:55pm   
PRO
We need to get together some day. This is weird we are way to much alike.
February 8, 2013 at 9:57pm     
Jayme H.
That would be fun...
February 8, 2013 at 9:58pm     
PRO
Who had the affair with Danny?
February 8, 2013 at 10:00pm   
Jayme H.
I order movies from Turner Classic Movies...my family is used to it by now..and they catch themselves watching the movies and then try to deny it...LOL
February 8, 2013 at 10:00pm     
Jayme H.
Lawrence Olivier...long term ongoing
February 8, 2013 at 10:01pm     
Jayme H.
Vivienne knew all about it and retaliated with affairs of her own....Peter Finch was one.
February 8, 2013 at 10:02pm   
Jayme H.
How about Margo's apartment in "All about Eve"?
February 8, 2013 at 10:04pm     
PRO
Wow, such a scandal and I didn't know about it. My head must have been lost for awhile. I thought I new every Gay story in Hollywood.
February 8, 2013 at 10:04pm     
PRO
@Aja Mazin God your beautiful! I just looked at your profile picture. WOW!
February 8, 2013 at 10:07pm     
Jayme H.
I hadn't heard about it until I read a bio on Olivier.
February 8, 2013 at 10:08pm   
PRO
I loved Margo's apt.
February 8, 2013 at 10:08pm     
Jayme H.
Yes, Aja is lovely.
February 8, 2013 at 10:09pm     
PRO
OK , I have to say good night now. I have been on this site for 12 hours today. That is way too much!
February 8, 2013 at 10:09pm     
Aja Mazin
Beats your luxury trailer!
February 8, 2013 at 10:10pm     
Jayme H.
And Bette was engaged in a torrid affair with her co-star Gary Merrill at the time...so juicy~~ And they later married...and that was a nightmare. I love George Sanders...he is one of my all time favorites...I better shut it ...I could go on and on.
February 8, 2013 at 10:12pm     
Aja Mazin
Who lives in Florida, but winters in Minnesota?

I think you are a bit confused!
February 8, 2013 at 10:12pm     
PRO
@Aja Mazin are you picking on me about living in my camper up north while my new cabin is being built? No, you couldn't be that thing is anything but luxury. LOL
February 8, 2013 at 10:14pm     
Jayme H.
ha ha ha...oh yes...damn cold up here!!!!
February 8, 2013 at 10:14pm     
Aja Mazin
NO!

Olivier and Danny Kaye????
February 8, 2013 at 10:16pm     
PRO
@Aja Mazin I live in FL. and summer in MN. I just happen to be on my MN profile tonight. I have another one for my Naples office. I was on that one all afternoon. Good night all!
February 8, 2013 at 10:17pm     
Jayme H.
OH YES!!! The wives knew....
February 8, 2013 at 10:17pm     
Jayme H.
There may have been some sort of understanding it seems...
February 8, 2013 at 10:18pm     
Aja Mazin
I submitting your mansion on wheels as a "Design Dilemma" - How to Warm Up My RV.
February 8, 2013 at 10:21pm     
designideas4me
LOL... This discussion became about catficsh crossing the street...

Ok anyway... does anyone like the table I painted? I do.

Interiors international I have been meaning to tell you.. I almost bought a house in Naples in 2009 before deciding to stay in California. I went right at the bottom of the market and could have bought a brand new 2007 house for 150k which would have been the smart thing to do since I wanted it mostly paid off so I could not have to worry about a morgage. The house was great , the area a bit too far away from town but the main things that convinced me not to take it was the humidity and the crime. The house had its a/c unit stolen for the copper and I came to find out this was a big problem in many of the new homes or forclosed homes out there. even after we agreed to buy it and it was set up for inspection the water and electrical meter were stolen and the owners wouldnt even but in the a/c unit til we took possession for fear of it being stolen again. So that didnt make me feel too safe. But also its a very old population there as you know and having a child i didnt feel it was the best place for him to grow up.

I went back to visit a friend in Tampa later in the summer of 2009 and omg..the humidity was non stop and unbarable for me. I did find another great house in Brandon and since that is my sons name I really wanted it plus it had a pool and a more family oriented younger demographic location. But when I got back to san diego I just decided I was meant to be here in ca. I just love ther dry heat in the dessert and the mountains. I couldnt deal with how flat florida is and the humidity etc. I had been there many times ..I love sanibel and south beach and ft. lauderdale and the keys etc. But the summers there were too uncomfortable for me.. not to mention the bugs and alligators.
February 9, 2013 at 2:23am   
designideas4me
aja... you like it? cool

4resas... thx for those great ideas. I will research them. I dont know much about resin but I think its time to learn.
February 9, 2013 at 2:28am   
designideas4me
Ok... It seems Johnathan and Aja will be fallening in love while eating some catfish on my newly painted metalic table on Valentines day somewhere in Florida while "The Maltese Falcon" plays in the background.

ahhhhhhhhhh well its a nice thought...lol
February 9, 2013 at 2:43am     
charleee
This has to be the strangest Houzz discussion ever!!! Entertaining, though :))
February 9, 2013 at 2:56am     
Sigrid
It really depends on how you treat your counters. If you're an active cook, or have kids it's probably a bad idea.
1) you can only use really durable wood
2) food safe does not equal heat and water safe. I spill hot liquids not infrequently in my kitchen. Hot liquid is hell on wood and wood finishes.
3) if the finish you put on cracks or scratches, and then you spill water, particularly hot water, you will not be able to get the water out before it causes damage.

The Brits some times put hard wood counters in and oiled them with linseed oil (no polyurethane). You have to be fanatical about wiping up spills, re-oiling, and making sure no one mistreats your counters. And you have to have the right wood (I can't help you there).

When looking at advice or pictures of people who have done this, make sure you are getting advice from someone who doesn't cook, unless you don't, either.
February 9, 2013 at 3:18am   
PRO
@designideas4me You were not in Naples. We don't have crime average age is 48. There aren't any house for 150,000. I have to admit I love San Diego in the short time I lived there. I would move back if I had enough business set up before I got there.
February 9, 2013 at 7:44am   
designideas4me
OMG>>> Do you think I am lying and made all this up? Should I email you a sales contract from the house and my airline tickets? This was out in the wooded wilderness area with the big houses. I forget the name right now but can look it up. I got a killer deal on new construction and it was at the time of the housing crash and the house as I mentioned had sat vacent for 2 years from 2007 til 2009.. This house was not downtown in Naples. I know those houses are more money and many are older. In fact one thing I recall that really turned me off was the site of a tea party ralley on the main street where the nice furniture shops are located. Being a democrat I was disturbed to learn that the area was mostly republican. As I did more research and spoke to the police department about the crime stats I also learned that many people own guns . Another thing that turned me off. You can say the average age is 48 but you and I both know that florida and especially that area is inhabited by people from new york and other northern states who just go there for the winter....anyway I am glad I chose to stay in Ca. with the hispanics..lol..Its very diverse here...we have all races and ages and its not an area where people live 1/2 the year or are into guns and republican views and for me it just felt right. I have always lived in democratic states that boarder the ocean. I do like the gulf coast in fla. The sunsets are beautiful. The water was too hot and salty and their was no relieve from that humidity. My clothes were stuck to me with sweat even at 1am. At least here its blazing hot in the day but dry heat and the nights almost always cool off but even if they dont its a nice dry heat. Plus I totally love swimming outside and doen there all the pools are in screened cages. Yes there are gorgeous houses there for the rich. I have been on boats there with friends and had great times. But what can I say Naples just was not the place I wanted to live. Great to visit for the beauty esp. if you live in a cold climate. I rarely feel the need to leave where I live. This area has the ultimate best climate and the most liberal views.
February 9, 2013 at 7:08pm   
PRO
@designideas4me No I do not think you are lying just miss informed. Naples is Naples but Golden Gate Estates in not Naples. Yes there are some very big homes and estates out there. I am just making the distinction. I do not go out to G G Estates because for every one nice place there are 40 bad ones. The lots out there were originally sold for $1,000. with $100. down and they financed the rest. The guy that sold them went to jail. He was one of the guys that were responsible for the saying "If you believe that I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you". It has changed since those days they actually have power out there. Though not all the lots that were sold do. There are still many that do not have roads out to them. It would be like saying I live in Beverly Hills but you are actually in east LA.
Yes it is a very conservative area but we have very few New Yorkers here. They prefer to stay on the east coast. It is mostly mid-westerners here. Since I am a mid-westerner and I do own guns and I am a bit conservative at least fiscally. I guess I fit in here. lol
I do agree with you though that the weather in San Diego is great. I loved the time that I lived there though it was much too short. I really like La Jolla I almost bought a place there. I would still consider moving back there if the state ever gets it's fiscal house in order. LOL
So I hope you still like me even though I am a Minnesotan/Floridian gun owning guy. lol.
February 9, 2013 at 8:58pm     
Aja Mazin
designideas4me,

Yes! I like the table you painted and said so up thread!

I always complain about the humidity. My cat mildews.

When the housing market collapsed in Florida, it hit us hard. Banks and other lenders were not prepared to accept the responsibility of maintaining foreclosed property.

Also, those left unemployed became more desperate and vacant homes were stripped for salvage.

The more affluent areas were hit the hardest with looting, and many of the out of state speculators simply walked away.

I have a friend who was able to purchase 11 beautiful townhomes in an upscale development for $100,000 - not in Naples, but Saint Petersburg.

He then rented them out until the market improved.

Naples only has a population of around 20,000.

Its estimated median house or condo value was roughly 4 times the median house or condo value for the State of Florida in 2009.

It is definitely a small, high end, upscale enclave on the Gulf Coast.
February 9, 2013 at 9:57pm   
Aja Mazin
hello......
February 9, 2013 at 10:33pm   
PRO
Dwood Enterprises
You may want to check in to Giani Granite Countertops. It's a wonderful product. It allows you to change your wood, laminate, etc. surfaces into granite looking countertops. Check out the website at http://gianigranite.com. There are so many looks you can achieve with these color kits. Hope that helps :)
February 9, 2013 at 11:28pm   
designideas4me
Yes Golden Gate Estates. Thats it. Well it does have a Naples address and zip code. Anyway I moved out here from Boston.... Oh I really miss the snow storms... NOT........

I moved here because I fell in love with La Jolla. I moved to the golden triangle ..close to the cove but could not afford anything nice down there.

But even at that time while I was growing up in New York and then moved to Boston after college...I used to visit Florida and the Carabean often. But in the end I liked california better and have lived here ever since. I also was lured down there by the cost of the huge homes in Cape Coral and looked at several of those too but I just could not feel comfortable with those low bridges to have to cross all over the state and the crime as Aja mentioned and in the end I searched for a great school system and a safe place to live. Thats when I discovered Temecula and Murrieta. I would have prefered to live in Del Mar ...like I did for a few years before prices went up in 2000.

Aja what part of Florida do you live in? Are you a lawyer? My sister is and she went to undergrad at univ of miami. She was one of the Orange Bowl queens way back when. She is like 65 now.

But I will say this .. I still have some beautiful shells from sanibel and captiva. if only I could think of a way to display them.

So have you guys noticed an increase in prices and a change in the market for the better since the crash...
February 10, 2013 at 3:18am   
designideas4me
dwood ... that link didnt work... can you let me know...ty
February 10, 2013 at 3:20am   
Dee Gould
Its your hse, use what you like! There are lots of links on the internet that shows how to create butcherblock check them out...live with it a day a
year or forever..if at some point you decide you want different then go with something else...metal
February 10, 2013 at 3:45am   
Jayme H.
To Aja
February 10, 2013 at 8:11am     
PRO
Dwood Enterprises
@ designideas4me Did you try http://www.gianigranite.com? That link works fine for me. If you can't access that way just google Giani Granite Countertops and you will see an officical website for them.
February 10, 2013 at 8:21am   
Aja Mazin
designideas4me,

I grew up on Pass A Grille Beach., truly the premier beach in Florida!
The fine white sand is like crystal sugar and the water is a clear blue.

The Don Cesar, built in the 20's, played host to ball players, movie stars, and Al Capone.
February 10, 2013 at 10:22am     
Jayme H.
Beautiful
February 10, 2013 at 10:25am     
designideas4me
Dwood Enterprises.... WOW... thank you. Thats looks and sounds great. I should have done that 2 years ago while i saved money and decided on a long term solution. See there are so many things i dont know and even in all these discussions on countertops people only discuss the obvious solutions...granite.. quartz....laminate..etc. No one ever says you can paint wood to look like granite and its a durable surface . I assume I cant cut into it but thats fine. and I am still researching just how well it holds up to moisure. Have you used it or know anyone who has. Thx for the great info.
February 10, 2013 at 12:29pm   
designideas4me
Ahh yes... that sand is like powder. I just love it. So soft.
February 10, 2013 at 12:30pm     
Aja Mazin
designideas4me,

No, I am not an attorney, but I do have my Ph.D.

I took the LSAT and was accepted, but I have not decided.
February 10, 2013 at 12:37pm   
Aja Mazin
@Interiors International, Inc.,

"Yes, I know.

Isn't it fortunate.?"
February 12, 2013 at 8:21pm   
More Discussions
To drop or not to drop
Am installing ceilings in my new house and am mulling...
Please help me with this room!!
My living room is capped on both ends with overwhelming...
dried flower arrangement
My husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is...
Property Line Disputes?
Ever have any issues with neighbors and property lines?...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.