Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Skinny closet
chrisknox
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First time home buyer. I have a skinny closet at the back entry. It is 16.5" wide. I thought about putting a cushion bench inside but it's a bit too snug I think. The closet is awkward. It's too skinny for a seating bench and too deep for wasted shelves that I have no clue what I would out on a shelf. There is an array of random coat hangers drilled in at two levels. I would hate for it to be just a coat cubby.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Could you use some extra pantry space? If this is near the kitchen, converting it might be an option.

If you want to treat the area as the mudroom, look at mudroom pictures on Houzz and pay special attention to how different cubbies/shelves/cabinets/hooks/rods are configured. Apply what you find as inspirational to your skinny closet. An option might be to install closed cabinetry toward the top of the skinny closet and leave the bottom part for hanging coats, storing boots, et cetera.

Another Idea is to install some cabinetry, shelving, --something with a countertop. There you can drop off keys and or a bag but still have longer-term storage.

It's too bad houses do not have land lines as much anymore. This would be a perfect place for a cute telephone nook!

Start with this link. http://www.houzz.com/Mudroom/ls=5
February 9, 2013 at 12:57AM   
charleee
A pantry is a good idea, or a linen closet with pull out shelves. What room is it near? I saw a Sarah Richardson design show where she used a closet like this to hide audio/video equipment, it was right next to the living room.
February 9, 2013 at 2:12AM     
rinqreation
Pull out shelves was my first thought too! Two large vertical drawers for storage?
February 9, 2013 at 2:57AM   
Jean Tuck
It is small so add a rubber boot tray to keep floor from deterioration,instal coat bar for hanging coats, with a shelf above to hold hats etc. maybe squeze in an umbrella stand in corner next to it , using vertical blind allowing air to rotate for drying clothes after rain/snow.
February 9, 2013 at 3:30AM   
pivoines
I would look at "Lee Valley Tools " site and install sliding shelving and use it for storage, also installing a door to hide the contents.
February 9, 2013 at 3:43AM   
creeser
A friend of mine pinned this closet idea the other day that would work well in your space. Makes a great coat closet.
February 9, 2013 at 4:35AM   
pivoines
Don't forget it is 16 .5 inches, the clothes would be back to back and you would not be able to reach the back hooks .
February 9, 2013 at 4:42AM   
feeny
I would put in shelves from top to bottom and then buy deep rectangular baskets to pull out. We've done this with a deep closet in our bathroom and the baskets have pretty close to tripled the usable storage space and made it so much easier to have access to everything and keep it looking tidy.
Houzz Tour: Cozy Living in a Canadian cottage in Holland's Green Heart
Dream Mud Room
February 9, 2013 at 5:06AM     
pivoines
Great idea Feeny, and much cheaper than mine , plus the stuff is hidden so no door needed. way to go .
February 9, 2013 at 5:19AM   
chrisknox
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm starting to like the basket idea for this area. It is the back door entrance which is used 99% of the time. Immediately to the left are stairs down and to the right stairs up. @AMN - I liked the idea for a shelf to put keys and stuff. It is funny you mention old homes with phone jacks. At the top of the stairs is a small shelf just like this with the jack. I ordered a retro old touch tone phone but done in chrome to look more modern. Thank you again everyone for the ideas.
February 9, 2013 at 11:41AM