powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help : how to rearrange a small vaulted kitchen with steps ???
Audrey Papuchon
February 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
We want to renovate my in-laws’s kitchen and I’m facing 3 “challenges”.

First, the house’s entrance is made through the kitchen, and you access to the rest of the house through a door which is 71 cm higher than the kitchen floor. At the moment, there are 3 huge steps which are taking a lot of space and preventing from using one corner. I was thinking about making some steps along the wall with drawers for storage, but I’m afraid we will lose a lot of space.

Then, the central heating was installed in a very inconvenient place. We are thinking about moving it, and having it covered by a cabinet, but we are not sure of the best place for it.

Finally, the kitchen is vaulted, and I feel there is a potential for something very nice, but I don’t know how to make it stand. The kitchen is quite dark, so I thought about having cream and light wood cabinets. Which colors do you think may work for the paint and the tiles?

I would be glad for any suggestion or advice.

Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
For maximum cabinet space, I would place them along the right and lower portion in the floor plan.
February 9, 2013 at 5:16AM   
Audrey Papuchon
Thank you for your answer!
February 9, 2013 at 9:16PM     
Sharon
Some design challenges in this space! I would re-locate the central heating & hide it with cupboards. There appears to be a decent section of wall space where you could incorporate upper wall cupboards & increase storage. Possibly put the central heating in there?
February 10, 2013 at 3:52AM   
rinqreation
The corner besides the steps can be used for a cabinet with the central heating, you'll only need to reach it for maintenance. I drew a bar table in there, imagine it to be a (half) folding one with folding chairs, so you can take it down when unused. I'd keep most of it white, with cement tile (or hard stone) flooring to keep the classical cellar-look.

Baer Retreat
Guest Studio Kitchen View This Old House - Low cost, high style kitchen upgrades
February 10, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Audrey Papuchon
Thank you all for your suggestions! I love the idea of the folding table. I was affraid we wouldn't be allowed to move the central heating but we've contacted the heating company, and it'll be possible to put it in the corner you've mentioned.
I love the idea of the cement tiles too, but I'm not sure we can find them here.
Time to get down to work!
Thanks again!
February 10, 2013 at 11:17PM   
rinqreation
What's your location if I may ask? If you really can't find any, you could get ordinary cement tiles or even wood and stencil them yourself with paint. It might wear faster, but then again vintage colors are cute too. http://www.welke.nl/photo/Tiara/Oude-houten-vloer-beschilderen-Leuk-in-tuinhuis-of-serre-of-op.1357465552
February 11, 2013 at 1:54AM   
Audrey Papuchon
We are in Sibiu, Romania. So far, I've not seen any, but I've not made a deep research. My husband would love the stenciled wood anyway. I guess the next step is to visit the shops to see what's available.
February 11, 2013 at 3:36AM     
Audrey Papuchon
Thanks for the links. I've found a shop with a large choice of imported tiles, I guess I'll find something I like there.
February 14, 2013 at 10:01PM